tradhntr 26-May-20
Adventurewriter 26-May-20
IdyllwildArcher 27-May-20
phoneman 27-May-20
walleyes 24-Jun-20
Bou'bound 24-Jun-20
oldgoat 25-Jun-20
25-May-20
Hi All! Im looking for a new bag. Ive been running a 22 degree mummy bag for back pack hunts and truck camping hunts and typically need a bit more warmth on those 20-30 degree nights so I double up bags. I thought about purchasing a canvas type bag for car camping but wanted some opinions on good, warm long lasting bags. Im 5'10" 180lbs so I don't need a massive bag. Thanks!

25-May-20
I just purchased a big agnes bag on sale at Backcountry. It's a zero degree synthetic bag and the price was right.

25-May-20
Just get a fleece liner for the bag you already have. You’d be surprised how much difference that will make.

25-May-20
I recently bought Wiggy’s Ultima Thule -20 bag for $200. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but a friend used one for an Alaska DIY moose hunt and said it was great.

25-May-20
I did what cnelk suggested. Not wanting to purchase another bag, I Purchased a thicker liner from big agnes for my 17 degree down bag. The liner gives up to 10 degrees more warmth. Cost was $95. I purchased the bag on sale so the $$ for the liner as ok and just off set the sale price. I found out that the degrees stated for the bag does not really state what warmth the bag will actually give. I found that my 17 degree bag was not good down to 17 degrees but only good to around 30 degrees comfort level. The linear has helped and allows the bag to be more flexible. Paul

25-May-20
I use a 15* bag and layer up on late season trips or during cold snaps as required. Last fall on a moose/caribou hunt it was down near zero at night, so the base layers, warm long johns, pants and down zip-off pants stayed on. On top I wore the puffy over my other hunting clothes. Works good, and if the clothes start damp they are totally dry in the morning from body heat. Makes getting up in a frigid tent pretty painless too. An extra coat or vest around your feet solve cold feet issues too.

25-May-20
Until you pay up near $1000 Most are 20 degrees off on the comfort rating.

Look into Western mountaineering, Feathered friends RAB

Or any Quality mountaineering bag.

There are some good mountaineering bags that rival hunting bags. Because climbers are cheap.

Thermarest makes a decent bag for the money.

As said above the cheapest way to add warmth is a silk liner Plus it keeps your bag clean

25-May-20
Get a large summer-weight bag and slip your current bag into it.

25-May-20
Idyllwild made a great observation - that the EN rating of a bag means "he was still alive in the morning"..

25-May-20
Wear the clothes you already own if your cold. Fixed problem

25-May-20
The quality of bag makes a difference. I have a 15 degree western mountaineering bag and it keeps me toasty warm down into the single digits.

Not all bag ratings are equal. Some bag ratings if the temp actually gets there your freezing. Others keep you warm well below the rating.

25-May-20
I have a zero degree synthetic Northface Snowshoe that I'm happy with and didn't break the bank. I usually pack a lighter less bulky bag but I have packed it in on a few occasions.

25-May-20
I also like the fleece liner to boost the warmth of my sleeping bag. Doesn't add much weight either.

25-May-20
I have a kuiu 0 degree. Spent two nights this spring in damp air mid teens and it was great. My guess is the rating was right on

25-May-20
i have a north face snowshoe 0 degree synthetic and a marmot never summer 0 degree down bag. both i have slept to single digits +- 0 and was warm enough. i want to say i paid less than $200 for each of them.

25-May-20
I have a -20 deg. Modified Mummy bag in TX. If I get hot I just unzip it. If cold, I zip it up. I am 6 ft. and have a 96 " bag I can cover my head with and be all enclosed with comfort.

25-May-20
I did what cnelk mentioned. Had my wife get some material off the bulk roll at Walmart and sew me a SUPER lightweight liner. Made all the difference. I tried sleeping in my clothes and didn't sleep good at all. Felt constricted and when I would move the clothes would twist on body and just made for horrible sleep. With the liner, right back down to underwear and sleep like a rock

25-May-20
When I sleep with my pants on I ensure I empty my pockets totally, take the leatherman out of the nylon sheath, loosen the thin webbing belt, etc. I end up sleeping great in my clothes that are in the pack anyway and my bag packs small and is light (KUIU Superdown 15*F). You have try it and find out what works for you. I’ve used this technique successfully in the arctic in February (not backpacking) besides many other big game hunts.

25-May-20
2X’d it

25-May-20
I use a 0 degree bag year round in Colo, Wyo, and Alaska. If it's warm out I either sleep on top or open it up as needed. When it's super cold I'll layer up. It also helps to use an air mattress to get your body off the cold ground.

25-May-20
All good comments but don't forget about your pad! doesn't matter how good your bag is rated if you chince on your pad...ground cold seeps up thru like a Mofo! With thst said, Nemo makes some good bags in an affordable range that are worth a look...all depends how much you are really going to use it as to justification for the price. Good Luck!

25-May-20
Wkochevar is right. It all come down to the pad.

I have a Big Agnes 0 degree bag and a Big Agnes Insulated Core air mattress.

I almost froze my ass off until I put a foam pad between the air mattress and the bag. That air mattress On the ground was sucking my body heat right out. Once I put the foam in, problem solved. Along with the liner.

25-May-20
Wiggys, none better. Made in Grand Jct Colo. He builds them for the US military, they are very reasonably priced too.

25-May-20
Kifaru Slick

25-May-20
Ratings are just that - ratings; YMMV. And no, I don’t believe there is any one standard, so they’re only relevant within a single brand.

Pads are a big deal. And JMO, a couple of 1L Nalgene bottles full of screamin’ hot water tossed into the foot of your bag will change your life. I’ve slept on packed snow in a Holubar kid’s mummy bag doing that. I’ve also sat all day - dawn til dark - in a tree stand in that same bag in temps that were in the teens. Plus wind chill (or would that be minus?).

26-May-20
With the Canadian $ now check out taiga bags. I have one of the 0 degree bags and it has been good to me for backpacking in cool temperatures.

26-May-20
I went with Nick's recommendation starting in 2018 when I was looking for a zero degree bag. I really like the center zip Slick bag. I lost my 20 degree bag (don't ask) so now I need to replace it. Will probably go the same route.

26-May-20
Wiggy's hunter bag with hood is what I use for truck camping, lifetime warranty and is good down to what the rating is.Plus I live right by Grand Jct Co. He gives you 40% of when you walk in the door.

26-May-20
I always figured that the rating is the death rating...if its 20 degree bag at it gets 20 you will freeze yer keister off

27-May-20
The great thing about using a liner is that when it warms up outside, you can just use the liner and you now have a 3 bag temp range: Liner, Bag, Liner + bag. Also, if you end up just needing your bag and not the liner or the liner and not the bag, you can use the liner or bag as a pillow. You can also stuff the liner in your pack and when you're on the top of a mountain glassing where you often get cold, break it out and get in it or use it as a cushion to sit on.

Last thing: Synthetic 0 degree bags are either very very large and heavy, or the 0 degree rating is off. If you really want to be comfortable in subfreezing temps, get a down bag. They're warmer and they compress so much better. Get treated down and the big downside of water is not an issue. I've used a down quilt now on 5 different august/september hunts where it was very rainy.

27-May-20
Not sure if this will be something you would be interested in, but survivalowl.com, a survival sleeping bag popped up on my facebook page a few times, so out of curiosity I checked it out. Maybe some other hunters here know more about it and can shed some light on it.

24-Jun-20
With the Canadian $ now check out taiga bags. I have one of the 0 degree bags and it has been good to me for backpacking in cool temperatures.

24-Jun-20
Mountain hardware

25-Jun-20
I cover up with a Kifaru Woobie when temps get to cold for what the bag is rated

• Sitka Gear