MichaelArnette 26-May-20
RK 26-May-20
Matt 26-May-20
Lost Arra 27-May-20
EmbryOklahoma 27-May-20
Brotsky 27-May-20
APauls 27-May-20
25-May-20
Whats a lease worth where you are? I have an opportunity on a fantastic lease in North MO but it seems high to me. Ive never leased anything before though.

25-May-20
I live in Northern MO. Good land to lease is tough to come by. I have seen $25/ac being common as of late. Sometimes more than that but it all depends on the quality and size of the land.

Good luck.

25-May-20
If it’s as fantastic as you say then you pay whatever it takes to get it. The average price takes into account the real crappy spots also. I had a piece that we could drag at least two mature bucks off per year here in Illinois. It was only 53 acres but we paid $6000 per year and had the best hunting of our lives. Another parcel just 1 mile away was 120 acres and We got it for $1000. That property also produced a couple of booners

25-May-20
Sorry but in Northern Missouri anything over 20 an acre to me would be crazy unless it was extensively managed for the last several years. Shawn

25-May-20
Supply and demand sets the market.

25-May-20
I’m in N/E OK, I see the larger properties going for somewhere in the $10/acre range. But often large portions of those are kinda unhuntable (large pasture/crop). The smaller places go higher. I wanted a 40 and talked to the owner, he wanted $1k, I just laughed and said “Thanks anyway”. But I suspect someone will be willing to pay it...

—Jim

25-May-20
Leasing on the low end would be $15 an acre up to $50 $25-$35 is pretty common

25-May-20
Doesn’t it also matter how many people will be on it

25-May-20
Bou, obviously everything is open to negotiation, but I generally don’t see it having anything to do with the number of hunters. The owner leases it at a cost per acre, if a group of guys wants to split that cost among them then it reduces the cost per guy but does not increase the payment to the owner.

For example our place is pretty large, the full cost of the lease is almost $50k, I am certainly not able to afford that, but when we split it up it is manageable for the group. I guess if I was able and willing I could pay the full $50k, but the owner would be getting paid the same.

All that said I have seen a few advertised as “$xxx per hunter, taking x hunters for the year.” But I think that is pretty crazy for any serious hunter, would you want to be on a place with 5 other guys from Craigslist! In my experience the vast majority are flat $ per acre.

—Jim

25-May-20
Shouldn't even say. Had a lease for almost 40 years. Lease rate up to $320 per year. Built a cozy shack on it. Access to 10,000 acres of northern Minn bush. Just as much more if i want to keep walking. Might run into my brother or one of two other hunting partners if not careful! We know we have it special! Oh, yah, the wolves definitely do better on the deer than we do!

26-May-20
Lots of factors involved in lease prices. Access to water and elec? Does the owner/family/friends still hunt the property? Only deer? Proximity to big city? As moose said, Supply and Demand.

26-May-20
NYS, (South/western part of the state). Currently around $13/acre.

26-May-20
Another factor is if it has cattle. Cattle moves the needle down in price per acre, IMO. The place I’ve hunted for years I’m most likely going to get booted due to another hunter contacting the landowner and offering him MUCH more that I’m willing/can pay. I’m not going to be bitter if I lose it either, I’ll just find another place or hunt public. It is what it is, I’ll still kill stuff.

For the record, I just saw a lease in South central Oklahoma going for $20 an acre. 1000 acres total.

26-May-20
Leases are a really good way to get taken advantage of in my opinion, pay good money for a year or two maybe three and then you get booted by somebody else. I’ve heard way too many times and I refuse to play the lease game.

26-May-20
Micheal. Then dont play the lease game. Leaves another spot that someone else can step into and play. Step away and leave it to someone else

26-May-20
"Leases are a really good way to get taken advantage of in my opinion, pay good money for a year or two maybe three and then you get booted by somebody else. I’ve heard way too many times and I refuse to play the lease game."

How is that being taken advantage of?

27-May-20
Embry: Cattle can be a pain but unfortunately it comes with the territory (ranches). I try to consider cattle a form of scent control. I've found a group of horses to be the worst.

27-May-20
Yea, I’ve hunted with and without cattle on the same parcel. I’d prefer without, but with cattle, it does somewhat push the deer or contain them more to the desired areas where we put stands. I feel it’s better without them and I’d be more apt to pay a higher per acre rate minus cattle. Now horses, I’ve never hunted land that has them, that could be tricky!

27-May-20
I'd just be happy to find a lease here.

We hunt with cattle all the time. Bothers us more than the deer in my experience.

27-May-20
Leases haven't really started in Canada. For years they regulations said right in them it was illegal to pay for hunting permission. I don't think I've seen that for a while so it may have been removed. It's only a matter of time.

FWIW, I got the cattle off my piece and the deer situation has changed dramatically. Deer can be found with cattle, but I think it's always a comparison to what is around. I think you're definitely better off without cattle all things being equal. Not that big deer can't be found with em.

• Sitka Gear