Mule Power 02-Jun-20
LKH 02-Jun-20
cwater 03-Jun-20
LKH 03-Jun-20
LKH 03-Jun-20
LKH 03-Jun-20
Muddyboots 08-Jun-20
01-Jun-20
Headed to Alaska here soon for a Caribou hunt off the haul road. I am going with a buddy who has been several times, but want to hear from some other people! This will be an archery hunt and don't have any plans of flying off the road!

what do you wish you would have done different? packed more / less clothes, shipped items back, etc etc.....

What are you 100% GLAD you did?! extra boots, extra clothes, etc etc...

Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts! and will definitely be posting our story when we get back!

01-Jun-20
Wish I would have brought a 2nd pair of insoles for rubber boots to switch out while the wet pair dried. Also should have got a raft.

01-Jun-20
I just wish I had more time when I’m up there.

01-Jun-20
A few years ago someone did a great "recap" of a Haul road hunt ------ "oldgoat" maybe. You could do a search - its worth the read.

01-Jun-20
Do or do you not have plans to fly out? Not sure what you are saying.

02-Jun-20
sorry, it meant to say DON'T have any plans of flying off the road!

02-Jun-20
Yeah getting stuck in the ditch sucks....

02-Jun-20
Not sure, but I have about 15 trips up there from Wasilla. Are you driving? If so, try to bring a small raft for crossing the river. Depending on the year, ankle fit hip boots are very useful. Some years have water everywhere and you can't cross even the small creeks without getting regular boots wet. Other years the tundra can be crunchy. See if you can get some info about rainfall in the weeks before you go.

What days are you going?

03-Jun-20
we are flying into Fairbanks on July 30th then plan to get our supply and head up! should have 7 days to hunt

03-Jun-20
That's pretty early and you will be in bug heaven. Be sure to bring headnets and plenty of bug dope. While they cost a bit, you might want one of the breakdown chairs. They pack down to about 14" long and about 5" diameter. Beats sitting on rocks or tundra.

Try not to bone out the quarters until your trip home. It can be very warm and meat care can be tough.

03-Jun-20
That's pretty early and you will be in bug heaven. Be sure to bring headnets and plenty of bug dope. While they cost a bit, you might want one of the breakdown chairs. They pack down to about 14" long and about 5" diameter. Beats sitting on rocks or tundra.

Try not to bone out the quarters until your trip home. It can be very warm and meat care can be tough.

03-Jun-20

08-Jun-20
Been 14 years. What I would do differently is have a small boat of some sort to cross the Sag. Took one look at it with hip waders and turned right around. We did it around Labor Day- can't imagine it would be fun to do much earlier due to bugs and heat.

• Sitka Gear