JohnMC 05-Jun-20
keepemsharp 05-Jun-20
JL 05-Jun-20
Bowbender 05-Jun-20
JohnMC 05-Jun-20
RK 05-Jun-20
ki-ke 05-Jun-20
01-Jun-20
So I'm wanting to get a crossbow for my retired mother to use and I have no idea were to start looking. My mom recently retired and has arthritis and is unfortunately unable to draw a bow. I would assume crossbows are similar to compounds in terms of one that is a few years old would be just as effective at killing animals as one that is brand new with all the latest bells and whistles.

What is a must have accessory on a crossbow?

What brands are great? I'm not supporting the Busbice poachers, so Barnett isn't an options for me. Is TenPoint the best?

Also, can you get lighted nocks for crossbow bolts? That would probably help tell her where she hit.

01-Jun-20
Crossbownation.com

01-Jun-20
Noble reason to buy a crossbow. However not a lot crossbow user here (Thankfully). Archerytalk also has a crossbow area.

01-Jun-20
I have been doing some research . I suspect she will need a crank type cocker. The rope cock bows require body strength strength. Whatever she decides on I hope she works hard to become proficient with it . You can get lighted nocks for them. I wouldn't get too hung up on brand names until you know more. I can't help you there. Good luck.

01-Jun-20
https://www.walnutcreekoutdoors.com/excalibur-assassin-360-tact-zone-scope-crossbow-package-e74047/

01-Jun-20
Best advise ? Go to a crossbow site.

01-Jun-20
My brother has health issues and can't draw a bow anymore. We are Mathews guys. I bought him a Mission. I think it's a Charge. It does everything he needs. Lifetime warranty, made in Wisconsin.

01-Jun-20
You can spend a lot of money on this, prices can go up around $3k.

You have to decide how she's going to be hunting. Does she need 470fps? Probably not. Ease of loading will probably be high on the list.

Then I would look at the width of the bow and the weight. Width for ease of handling , weight for obvious reasons

Try to go somewhere you can try some options. Bottom line is that most of the options will get the job done. Take your mom shopping, she undoubtedly has done it for you.

Tmbb

01-Jun-20
Ravin crossbows

01-Jun-20
If she has no price barrier then that Arvin looks like a killer. A couple buddies shoot Garnett's and for the money they seem to work. Weight is an issue. I would suggest she get a Excalibur, with a crank. I have shot them and it's a killer.

01-Jun-20
My wife after shoulder replacement surgery had to go with an xbow with nothing to prove she settled on an Excalibur never looked back you don’t want her hunting you with that weapon good luck and stay safe Lewis

01-Jun-20
Ya...a noble cause to help out your mom. I never owned a CB....nothing against them...just never needed one so far. IMO....whether it's hunting with a bow, CB, rifle, shotgun...it doesn't matter....I'd just make sure it's something your mom can comfortably handle. I'd also encourage her to get a lot of range time practicing...especially in low light. If her eyes are weak, you'll need to figure out what kind of sight will work with her eyes. The last thing I'll toss out.....if she is right handed, make sure she doesn't stick her left thumb up in the way of the string as she is holding the front of the CB (same for lefties too). The string WILL remove the thumb and/or skin and fingernail when the trigger is pulled. That sounds obvious however a guy I know on the Maryland site posted up pics of his thumb and it wasn't pretty.

01-Jun-20
If price is not an issue then she should get one that can be cocked as well as de-cocked with a crank. Beyond that consideration, other factors to consider , would be fit/length of pull, physical weight, and the trigger. All bows are not created equal. Good luck.

01-Jun-20
Can't go wrong with a Ravin. Once you've shot one, the others seem cheap and innacurate.

01-Jun-20
I do not shoot a crossbow, but if I were in the market for a new or used one I would look at a 10 Point or a Mission. I agree with others, she will need a crank style cocking mechanism.

Ravins are terribly expensive to most billfolds, unless you find a super deal on a used one.

01-Jun-20
Maybe ask others to pm you their views as to not take bowsite down the crossbow path.

01-Jun-20
^....just curious, do the Leatherwall folks tell the compound guys to pm their views so as not to take Leatherwall down the compound path? (and yes I'm being a tad sarcastic)

01-Jun-20
Since you asked what appears to be a legitimate question about hunting gear to help your mom, I can offer some of my experience (not looking to start any debate, just looking to help). I love to hunt and by far the vast majority of my adventures have been with a bow, but I also enjoy an occasional hunt with a crossbow.

Learning the crossbow and how to hunt with one has been a lot of fun. But know going in that there’s a lot more to developing proficiency with a crossbow than you may have heard. They do take a bit of tuning, many have horrible triggers, and some recommend bolts that are far too short and light just to keep their advertised speeds high. That said, let’s focus on your mom’s situation.

Since she suffers from arthritis I’m anticipating needing some kind of crank draw. My local pro shops love both Ravin and 10 Point. Both are very easy to use, are accurate, have custom bolts engineered for their bows, and crank-draws. Personally think the Ravin has a much better trigger. They are both a bit more expensive than some other brands but are very high quality. You can also get lighted nocks on virtually any crossbow bolt.

For my own personal use I’ve had good luck with Excalibur (but don’t like their newer stuff) and Scorpyd. They are both a bit trickier to tune and need to be more safety conscious while using them. But both are very customizable for bolt/broadhead setups - have one for my Scorpyd more than suitable for the biggest critters walking the earth.

In my experience crossbows have an advantage over vertical bows when hunting from a stand or blind, but spot and stalk is an entirely different game. Have done much practice with shooting sticks but I’m still better with my vertical bow for spot and stalk hunting..

Hope this helps.

01-Jun-20
Probably a little too harsh

01-Jun-20
I have a mission for my son. It’s very nice and very accurate. They are very easy to shoot and IMO are great to expand hunting opportunity.

Best of luck.

01-Jun-20
I do not shoot a crossbow, but if I were in the market for a new or used one I would look at a 10 Point or a Mission. I agree with others, she will need a crank style cocking mechanism.

Ravins are terribly expensive to most billfolds, unless you find a super deal on a used one.

01-Jun-20
Ten Point has what your looking for, their new models offer de-cocking without having to shoot a bolt, using the cocking mechanisms. I have a Norton that Ten point bought out, still make the same bow under TenPoint or Wicked Ridge name. Had to buy cocking crank mechanism cause of rotor cuff surgery.

02-Jun-20
I have what you may need. PM sent.

02-Jun-20
Lots of good information here. And, in many states you do not need a physical ailment to purchase a scoped crossbow and use it during general archery seasons. Many able hunters have realized the crossbow's advantages over hand drawn bows and arrows. Where legal for all, scoped crossbow use has now surpassed all other methods used during general archery seasons.

02-Jun-20
My elk hunting buddy shoots an Excalibur. They are recurve crossbows. Pretty simple setup and he's deadly with it.

02-Jun-20
Get proficient I bought my wife one. Mid range model about 800 bucks. I sighted it in and bought her out and set her down 50 yds from target. 3 shots and 3 bullseye's. She is good with a scoped gun do I knew she would be good with the crossgun. I sold it a week later. She said it was no fun, no challenge to it. Now with the OPs situation I would go with a Mission crossbow. Great accuracy and depending on model, good price. Shawn

02-Jun-20
Oh Lord...…………………………………………………………….

You guys know you don't HAVE to click on any thread with the word CROSSBOW in it, right?! God forbid...…………………………. anybody finds out you actually OPENED such a thread! ;-)

02-Jun-20
Missouribreaks sad "Lots of good information here. And, in many states you do not need a physical ailment to purchase a scoped crossbow and use it during general archery seasons. Many able hunters have realized the crossbow's advantages over hand drawn bows and arrows. Where legal for all, scoped crossbow use has now surpassed all other methods used during general archery seasons."

There is a problem with crossguns in archery season. With that said I hope Korey's mom has tons of enjoyment and success with one.

02-Jun-20
Amen Rut Nut!!!! Shake my head at some of these comments. There is no need to negatively comment. The guy is trying to help his retired mother with a legit question. A site where many have knowledge of crossbows. We are so divided as a community of hunters it makes me sick. You don’t like crossbows, move on without comment. You don’t need to announce your preference to make yourself feel better than anyone. Korey, my best to your mom and good luck getting her setup so she can enjoy!!

02-Jun-20
^^^ a big thumbs up. And I’ve never shot one.

02-Jun-20
Wish the moderators would set up a crossbow forum on bowsite already. Just a fact that they are certainly a firmly established hunting method across many US States, Canadian Provinces, and many countries. So, it’s pretty obvious they are here to stay. Folks are going to discuss and ask questions from time to time as many throughout the Bowhunting world have experience with crossbows. But it sure would go a long way in reducing the pointless sniping between otherwise mutually supportive groups of hunters over perceptions about preferred hunting methods. BTW - I’m still primarily a bowhunter - but have nothing against hunting via crossbow.

02-Jun-20
What's so difficult about going to crossbow nation.com?

02-Jun-20
Since shoulder surgery 10 plus years ago, a good friend and frequent hunting partner uses a Ten Point. Two seasons ago he sold it for another Ten Point since he was so happy with his first one. The new one is much narrower and hand cranks, but he said the same deadly accuracy.

Hope this helps in some way. GL to your mother!

03-Jun-20
wrong site

03-Jun-20
wrong site

03-Jun-20
wrong site

03-Jun-20
We might soon see non-hunting products advertised here and we are concerned about discussing a hunting product?

03-Jun-20
I'm not concerned about it. Just the wrong site for advice.

03-Jun-20
Thank you to all those trying to help find the right fit for my mom. A little more background; my mom has had rheumatoid arthritis for the last five years and we aren't sure how much longer she will have the full function of her hands. She was considering retiring because after 42 years on a typewriter and now a computer her hands were giving her trouble, but when she found out she had breast cancer, that was the last straw. The cancer is now in remission and she is retired and will have plenty of time to hunt this fall and I plan to maximize the enjoyment of the last years she will be able to hunt. If you want to belittle a little old grandma with arthritis that is a cancer survivor, then by all means flame away, she has thicker skin than all of you combined.

Sorry if you think I'm on the wrong site, but Bowsite is full of crossbow users. If you don't believe me, you should see my PM's!! I'm not a member of AT, so I can't post anything there anyway. Heck I don't even have Facebook, Bowsite.com is pretty much it for me.

Again, thank you to all of those trying to help. The responses have been overwhelming positive!

03-Jun-20
Great words, Korey. Let us know how the hunt goes.

03-Jun-20
Amen Korey. Well stated. Would love to hear about your mom’s hunt this coming fall. If you have any further crossbow tuning, accessory, or equipment (bolt/broadhead, etc) questions please don’t hesitate to post. Many of us here are willing to help.

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20
This thread reminds of a thread that was posted I think last year. The thread was listed under the handle of " Bassmaster ........". People jumped on this person first because of the handle he was using. Then, others got on his butt for asking elementary archery/bowhunting questions.

Turned out this person was a young kid who was just getting in to bowhunting and trying to gain some info. He was successful and shot a nice little buck. He posted his photo on his thread and suddenly the young hunter received praise and was a poster child.

I say all of this because many on here know each other and we can "talk trash" and have some fun. Others post legitimate threads and they "get trashed". I just think we sometimes empty our quiver too fast. It will be interesting if the mother needing the help, post a picture this coming fall with her crossbow and thanks people for the advice and information her son received from Bowsite to help her get her equipment set up properly. Wonder what some people might say then? JM2C

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20
I didn't see anyone shaming your mother no need to act like a victim.

03-Jun-20
I know there are some that think if it has a string and limbs and shoots a stick it is a bow. But there are a lot that believe there are big and significant difference between a bow bow and crossbow. I've got two buddies I hunt with a lot both in there mid 70's both are still going strong shooting a real bow. If the day come and either are having to give up on shooting their bows I would encourage and help them get set up with a crossbow if they wanted my help and hope they could care it along side me during archery season. I live in Colorado I think the state gets it wrong more than right, however to use a crossbow you have to have physical ailment and get an exemption from the CPW. I think that is the perfect answer to crossbow during archery season.

I am glad Korey got some help for his mom and hope she has a blast hunting with a crossbow. I don't mind see a thread like this on bowsite. With that said I think this is bowsite period it is not bowandcrossbowsite. I would enjoy the site less if the forum is litter with crossbow threads. I really enjoy hunting pheasants with a shotgun, but if I want to discuss that I'd find a forum on upland game hunting. That does not make it bowhunters against bird hunters. It is just sticking to the theme at least most of the time. If you want to talk about crossbows it really simple to go to one of the sites mentioned above and register in about a minute and a half. Again I am not piling on Korey I think it is more than awesome he is helping his mom find a way to hunt and glad there are crossbows for such occasions.

03-Jun-20
I'm not a crossbow user but common sense is to buy from your local archery shop. They will have bolts with lighted knocks. Support Local Shops!

03-Jun-20
I'm not a crossbow user but common sense is to buy from your local archery shop. They will have bolts with lighted knocks. Support Local Shops!

03-Jun-20
Most of your topics list above tie in for the most part with bowhunting. Bowsite definitely has a more western slant than archerytalk that is why I prefer it. If you are going to hunt in the mountain you need most of the above to bow hunt say elk. While I don't know anyone that is anti-crossbow, I know many that are anti crossbow in archery season. I would think it is awesome to find a guy hunting with a crossbow during a rifle season. But I am anti able body person crossbow hunting during archery season.

In a lot of eastern whitetail states I am sure it is not that big of a deal. Many states need more deer killed than are being killed and most hunting is done on private land that the landowner can control access. It is states like CO where I live that chances to bow hunt are limited. So far I struck out in all the draws and have not gotten a tag. I will most likely draw a pronghorn tag and get an OTC elk. I am not complaining it is what it is. However what CO does not need is a much of rifle hunters with MissouriBreaks mentality from above. Tags will become even hard to acquire. The obvious reason is there will be a lot more people with names in the hat for the same tag. But the less obvious reason is success rate with crossbows will be higher and tag allocation could be dropped for that reason. There a lot more to it than being petty. Petty could be the crossbow users stomping their feet cry about only being allowed during rifle season wanting the rules changed for them.

03-Jun-20
ten point with built in accu draw

03-Jun-20
Wanted to begin by saying I respect you John and can relate to what you are saying about competition for western big game draws. I’ve been applying for limited entry tags in several western states for nearly two decades and have yet to draw a tag. But that’s a completely different discussion.

As far as bowsite being primarily for western hunters, that’s something I’ve never read anywhere. Same goes for a prohibition on discussing crossbows. Have never seen any bowsite policy pro or con. But bowsite does have a policy that says we’re not supposed to publicly criticize other hunters for what they hunt, where they hunt or how they hunt.

Just don’t like seeing fellow hunters in conflict and seeking a compromise we all can live with that doesn’t involve running other hunters out of town.

My 2 cents. Your actual mileage may vary.

03-Jun-20
Certainly not about disrespect. I am not say bowsite is billed as primarily western hunting. It just seems to attrached more threads related to western hunting than the other archery forum. That is a plus to me. It is not about conflict. I don't see crossbow hunters as the enemy, they are fellow hunters. I do to a small extent see their lobby as a adversary. I see crossbow threads similar to how I would see a rifle thread. Occasionally a rifle thread is cool. I think you did one on your last sheep hunt to an exotic location that is exscaping me. I don't want to see one a average hunt to local SWA to shoot a 2 year old buck unless there is something extraordinary about it.

I agree avoid conflict keep bowsite bowhunting. Leave crossbows and guns to their appropriate forums 99 perfect of the time.

04-Jun-20
Wow the guy is asking about a crossbow for his aging mother god forbid. You guys are ridiculous and need to direct your anger on a real world issue.

04-Jun-20
We’ll just have to disagree on this. Equating a crossbow with a gun is a blatantly obvious “false equivalency.” Crossbows use a BOW and STRING to propel an ARROW - not a gun (using a confined chemical reaction and pressure to propel a bullet).

This is not about guns, that’s just a deflection.

However, we’ll just have to agree to disagree on crossbows. Firmly believe bowsite would benefit from a Crossbow forum. There are enough crossbow users and curious-dabblers here. It will certainly be wiser than running fellow string-hunters off bowsite.

04-Jun-20
to the original poster, my sincere apology. It appears this IS indeed the right site for your question. I also apologize that I can't help you since I know absolutely nothing about crossbows, which is more than I want to know.

04-Jun-20
Go to a reputable Archery Shop. Ask them to let her shoot every model blindfolded. Ensure that she can cock every model.

Have her pick the one she likes best.

04-Jun-20
A rifle uses a stock to shoulder the weapon as does a crossgun. Both can be shot off a rest or shooting sticks. Both a rifle and crossgun can stay in “ loaded and ready to fire with a pull of the trigger indefinitely. See a lot more similar with a rifle when you get past limbs and string. Never seen a real bow advertise rifle like groups at 100 yards.

04-Jun-20
Just to throw another log on the fire- a vertical bow can also be shot with the use of shooting sticks. A great device for steadying the arm you hold the bow with.

04-Jun-20
^..ah...good point. A vert bow can also be shot canted and horizontal too.

All fun aside.....I do hope BS-ers do use patience and understanding when posters ask what may seem like obvious questions to most. ESPECIALLY if it is a new hunter (poster) such as a lady or kid. IMO that should never happen and be taboo. I was on one of my old hunting sites and that happened to a young man. The owner of the site popped a few offenders and laid down the law fast.

That new person is doing it exactly the right way by asking questions to those here who would be able to offer some answers and help. There is alot of experience across many hunting topics on this site and it would be a waste not to share it with those new folks who are asking for help.

04-Jun-20
I find it amusing that nobody blasted the OP for starting a fishing thread as fishing ain’t bows. I enjoyed looking at all the nice fish caught and that’s all that matters.

04-Jun-20
Good one Spike - the parallel would be “only fly fishing posts allowed here! wrong site for spinning or bait-casting discussions.”

04-Jun-20
No the difference is and in some of our eyes it is a big one is that crossbows are being allow to be used as archery equipment in archery seasons. They have very adversarial relationship to bow hunting to those that don't want them in archery seasons. It not just me and a few other knuckleheads on here either. Big organizations that set up to protect and advocate for bowhunters have take a strong stance against crossbows. Couple of examples are The Pope and Young Club and Colorado Bowhunters Association.

04-Jun-20
Think most everyone understands yours and P&Y’s position against crossbows, but many just don’t agree with it (It’s America, we’re allowed).

While I realize there are some who fear the impacts of the broadening acceptance of crossbows as archery gear, in the long run resisting their acceptance is futile and distracts from the vastly more important goal of being united in support of hunting.

Today, the majority of the hunting community has already accepted crossbows as a mainstream bowhunting method

More than 1/2 of US States, many Canadian Provinces, and numerous countries already allow crossbows during all or part of the archery season

The Archery Trade Association Show is stacked with crossbows and accessories

Largest U.S. Archery Pro-Shops and distributors sell as many (if not more) crossbows and associated gear as vertical bows - Lancaster Archery, Kinsey’s, etc

All major US sportsman’s shows have crossbows (almost always in the archery section) - Great American Outdoor Show, SCI, DSC, Western Expo, etc

Major retailers = Cabelas/Bass Pro, Sportsman’s Warehouse, carry crossbows as archery gear

The evidence is pretty overwhelming that they are currently treated as mainstream Bowhunting gear. Bowsite would definitely benefit from a crossbow forum.

04-Jun-20
My brother has had cancer and on Chemo for 15 years. It’s a manageable cancer. So he borrowed a crossbow to shoot on his property. It was an Excaliber. He learned a very important lesson and soon gave it back to the owner. He forgot to leave his left thumb sticking up when he shot it. It’s funny now. Just about took the end of his thumb off. Can’t do that with a regular bow.

04-Jun-20
DL? Not sure of your point. I have a good friend that lost his eye from a compound bow limb exploding ? I have a client that lost a finger in. Black powder rifle explosion. Stuff happens

04-Jun-20
Grew up with the understanding that bowhunting took dedication and increase hunting experience/knowledge since the quarry is usually close in, but that has been trampled by technology and quick easier results. Bow hunting was to be hunting the hard way but that is a fallacy by many.

04-Jun-20
Stuff happens that's probably one of the most intelligent statements made in this thread lol

04-Jun-20
jjs is the most intelligent poster on this thread.

04-Jun-20
See how divisive even a small crossbow thread is?

04-Jun-20
Missouri. I don't disagree BUT based on what ??

04-Jun-20
4 nolz

Bowsite. Pretty standard

04-Jun-20
RK the point is keep your thumb down. Nothing else.

04-Jun-20
The saying is ," keep your hands out of the triangle of pain." One of the guys who hunts with a crossbow forgot this important rule and broke three fingers.

05-Jun-20
Spiral - Not that there Is anything wrong with it but the groups you list accepting crossbows do so because they make money off of them. Not because it is good or bad for Bowhunting in general. Groups I list are non profits that purpose is to protect Bowhunting. They see that crossbow are not good for future of Bowhunting.

05-Jun-20
I love bowhunting. For over four decades bowhunted all over the globe, and even founded an SCI Bowhunting Chapter. So I’m no stranger to championing and fighting/volunteering to broaden Bowhunting opportunities. During this journey I was often confronted by rifle hunters who felt threatened by bowhunters, claiming we were unjustly encroaching on “their hunting opportunity,” and making all manner of pejorative claims in the process.

I’m aware that it is an emotional issue and many in the Bowhunting community feel threatened by the broadening popularity of crossbows. But, to many folks it really looks like just another selfish territorial claim. Justified or not, when hunters get involved in trying to oppress or deny opportunity to other hunters it isn’t good for the sport of hunting.

Crossbows sales and use are gaining simply because of hunter demand. Crossbows are popular because people like using them, and the genie is definitely out of the bottle. I don’t see that as evil. With declining hunting license sales throughout the USA seeing crossbows during bow season is a small price to pay to help keep our recruitment healthy.

05-Jun-20
"Crossbows sales and use are gaining simply because of hunter demand."

I don't think that is quite accurate. Here in PA there was little demand for crossbows. However with concerted campaign from the manufacturers and the NRA, they were legalized for general use in the archery season. Talking with the techs and sales people in Kinseys and Lancaster Archery, there was little to no push for crossbows.

"With declining hunting license sales throughout the USA seeing crossbows during bow season is a small price to pay to help keep our recruitment healthy."

Yes, if that were the case. But it's not. In PA we've lost upwards of 250K - 300K hunters. Archery numbers have gone up since 2009, from 275K to 325K but we've still seen a huge net less. Crossbows aren't going to fix that. Legalization of crossbows merely shifted the numbers.

05-Jun-20
Many of today's hunters value the kill more than the hunt and tradition. They are choosing the newest technology to make killing easier with less hunt. Bow and arrow hunting will continue the decline.

05-Jun-20

JL's Link
"Talking with the techs and sales people in Kinseys and Lancaster Archery, there was little to no push for crossbows."

BB..........just for grins.......I checked the websites of Kinseys and Lancaster. They both offer alot of crossbows for sale. Someone in PA is buying them.

Here is a 2018 article talking about what's happening in PA with crossbows and archery. I wonder if other states show similar trends?

" Crossbows account for majority of PA archery deer kills

P.J. REILLY | Staff Writer Sep 17, 2018

The domination of crossbows over other bows during Pennsylvania’s archery deer season continues to grow.

Last year, archery hunters bagged 59,550 bucks and 49,690 antlerless deer, according to Pennsylvania Game Commission figures.

That combined total accounted for about 32 percent of the state’s overall deer kill of 333,254.

Within the archery harvest, 61 percent of all deer shot were taken with crossbows.

That’s a 10 percent increase from just four years earlier, when crossbows accounted for 51 percent of the total archery kill.

Interestingly, as the crossbow kill has accounted for more and more of the archery harvest, the archery harvest has accounted for more of the overall, annual deer kill. But the growth there has not been as dramatic.

In the 2013-14 season, when the crossbow kill was 51 percent of the total archery harvest, the archery kill accounted for 29 percent of the state’s total deer kill. Last year, the total archery harvest accounted for 32 percent of the total annual deer kill – a 3 percent increase from four years earlier.

The number of antlerless deer killed from year to year can vary greatly, depending on the antlerless tag allocations.

The annual buck kill is a better comparison of hunter success through the years, because it’s more constant. Every licensed hunter gets one buck tag.

The archery buck kill in 2008-09 was 31,450. That’s the last season before crossbows were made legal for use by anyone in all archery deer seasons.

Given last year’s archery buck kill of 59,550, the annual archery buck kill in Pennsylvania has nearly doubled since crossbows have been introduced.

By comparison, the total buck kill in 2008-09 was 122,410 as compared to 149,460 last year – about a 20 percent increase.

No one’s raising any concerns about the effect of crossbows on Pennsylvania’s deer hunting landscape. As the 2018-19 archery deer season ramps up, I just find it interesting to look at the shift in bowhunting trends in this state."

05-Jun-20
Don’t forget guys the majority of the hunters are older baby boomers so I suspect age may have a role in a lot of people switching from compound to crossbow.

05-Jun-20
And, most youth around here start and continue to hunt with the scoped crossbow. Most, but not all, do not learn to become proficient with a bow and arrow.

05-Jun-20
“Justified or not, when hunters get involved in trying to oppress or deny opportunity to other hunters it isn’t good for the sport of hunting.”

So let’s also open archery season to rifle hunters. Because you can either look at it as archery only season is denying opportunity to non archery hunters. Or there is opportunity for those that want to hunt with weapons that are not bow and arrow. It is the general season aka rifle season.

It Is like the boy that dresses like a girl and changes his name Catlynn He says he is now female. Do you let him compete with the girl sports team. Or is that unfair to those competing that are actually female.

05-Jun-20
The assumption that bowhunting only = vertical bow only, is not correct in today’s hunting community. The majority of US states, game departments, pro shops, distributors, Hunting and outdoor stores, NRA, Safari Club International, all look at crossbows as archery/Bowhunting gear. This is not something I am orchestrating or rooting for, just witnessing it happening. But as nationwide hunting license sales decrease and many sectors of the community grey, I’m encouraged to see this sector of the sport continue to develop and grow.

05-Jun-20
JL,

"BB..........just for grins.......I checked the websites of Kinseys and Lancaster. They both offer alot of crossbows for sale. Someone in PA is buying them."

Just for grins.... in 2009 when the crossbow legislation was introduced, there was no demand for crossbows. I spend a significant amount of time AND money in both Kinseys and LAS, and have since 1983. I can assure you in 2009 the conversations I had with techs and sales folks, there wasn't a strong demand. Has that changed in 11 years. Yes. But initially there wasn't a push by bowhunters. It was by the manufacturers and the NRA. A shit ton of money was spent lobbying for crossbow inclusion.

Thanks for publishing the statistics. As a long time PA hunter and Lancaster Newspaper subscriber, I read that almost two years ago. If you dig a little deeper on the PGC's website, you'll find out while there was a large increase in bowhunters, from 275K to 325K over the last eleven years, but there has been a much larger drop in overall hunter numbers. We merely shifted the numbers.

Crossbows aren't an effective recruitment tool. Which is the point I was addressing. Not the efficacy of crossbows. But hey feel free to make an argument for me and than argue against a position I never took.

BTW, every year legislation is introduced to reduce the length of PA's archery season. Why? The rifle hunters complain we kill too many of "their" buck. That 20% increase hasn't gone unnoticed. I like PJ Reilly alot. He covers hunting very well. Good bow technician as well at LAS. But he was a little less than forthcoming with his "No one’s raising any concerns about the effect of crossbows on Pennsylvania’s deer hunting landscape." Our season length has been under fire since 1993 when the two weeks in November were added.

JohnMC

"So let’s also open archery season to rifle hunters."

We already have. There is a week long in-line season the third week of October for doe. There is also a push to use in-lines the last week of archery, middle of the rut. Why? Well because that scoped inline that shoots 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards is just like the flintlock we use in late season after Christmas.

05-Jun-20
Bowbender I was not actully suggesting that. The point if you are going to have a liberal view of what weapons are allowed to be used during a archery season because you want to be inclusive why stop at crossbows.

Spiral the point being non of the group mention are archey groups.

05-Jun-20
Crossguns will not increase license sales very much, they are mostly just gun hunters that want an early season.

05-Jun-20

JL's Link
BB.....I think the horse is out of the barn now. I collect the PGC reports and surveys. Here is the 2018 Hunter Survey and what your fellow hunters had to say.

This is question 85 from the 2018 Hunter Survey.

Crossbows should remain legal statewide for archery deer hunting.

72% - Agree

13% - Agree nor Disagree

15% - Disagree

Question 20....Did you start or return to archery hunting because you could use a crossbow?

33% Yes

Question 101....Archery seasons and regulations

64% - Agree

26% - Agree nor disagree

10% - Disagree

Question 101....Archery seasons and regulations

64% - Satisfied

26% - Nether satisfied nor unsatisfied

10% - Unsatisfied

I thought this was a very interesting question. I was surprised to see the number of archers who use both a crossbow and vert bow at 14%.

Question 28....Which statement best describes your use of a crossbow during the fall archery season in the WMU where you hunted the most during the fall archery season? (Circle only one)

47% I only used a crossbow

40% I only used a vertical bow

14% I used both a crossbow and vertical bow

05-Jun-20
"Here is the 2018 Hunter Survey and what your fellow hunters had to say."

Yes thank you. Again, in 2009 there was a concerted push by the manufacturers and the NRA, NOT by bowhunters. The horse IS out of the barn.

But then the point being discussed was whether or not crossbows help hunter recruitment. According to total hunter numbers, no. We picked up 50K bowhunters and lost over 250K total. THAT's the discussion.

Actually that's not true. The discussion was about a son trying to select a crossbow for his mother with health issues. But in typical Bowsite fashion we turned it into a shit show.

05-Jun-20
“Justified or not, when hunters get involved in trying to oppress or deny opportunity to other hunters it isn’t good for the sport of hunting.”

So let’s also open archery season to rifle hunters. Because you can either look at it as archery only season is denying opportunity to non archery hunters. Or there is opportunity for those that want to hunt with weapons that are not bow and arrow. It is the general season aka rifle season.

It Is like the boy that dresses like a girl and changes his name Catlynn He says he is now female. Do you let him compete with the girl sports team. Or is that unfair to those competing than are actually female.

05-Jun-20
LMAO. THIS has to be a bowsite low johnmc. Gender issues in a crossbow thread that really is not a crossbow thread Good lord that is funny as hell but so strange. You've got some issues for sure

05-Jun-20
Wow...when did all the jackwads show up here?? Did they really all migrate from the CF when that shut down? Some of you guys are truly an embarassment.

Korey, your mom and you are welcome to hunt my NJ farm anytime!! We'll go for dinner in NYC after she runs out of bolts and we collect the carcasses....and still have her in bed by 11....LOL

• Sitka Gear