PoudreCanyon 02-Jun-20
Treeline 03-Jun-20
Blade 03-Jun-20
Matt 03-Jun-20
TreeWalker 03-Jun-20
TreeWalker 03-Jun-20
TreeWalker 03-Jun-20
01-Jun-20
Looks like Colorado moose draw is out. I got an email!!!

01-Jun-20
No love here - 3/13 points as a resident, and there I will stay until I draw or I die. Too cheap to pay for any more points.

01-Jun-20
I think I’m 3&7 or 8 or 9 something like that for a cow tag and still no love!

01-Jun-20
3+20 now...

02-Jun-20
Wife and I both 3+20 now

02-Jun-20
3+12 and no draw here.

02-Jun-20
PoudreCanyon

I am now in the same mindset. I completely understand that there is no perfect draw system. To many hunters want the same tags.

The Iowa draw price thread is a good example. We used to apply in Iowa for my wife only. As I couldn’t see paying that for a whitetail. I have really pulled back on the terrible odds draws. I have 17 points in Utah for most species. Some Nevada, Montana but not sure how much longer I’m playing the game. Not upset with any particular Agency. Just to much demand for limited tags. I will burn my current points on what ever those points get me instead of holding out for the max point units.

02-Jun-20
Altitude sick +1

I’m going hunting finally have the time and sick of sitting on the sidelines

02-Jun-20
For me I guess I don’t need more big antlers of the same species. I still have never hunted Mtn Goats and would love to

02-Jun-20
My wife drew a cow tag in 2018 with 3 + 2 and killed on opening morning. With only one point, she was unsuccessful this year. But I drew a cow tag with 3 + 4 this year. I killed a bull in 2012 and drew with max points then.

02-Jun-20
I Think I am regressing as a hunter Went back to longbows and recurves. Hunting for opportunity and fun instead of trophies I still don’t know where my last years Cape Buffalo, Honey Badger or Mule deer mounts are going so another reason to pull it back. This years elk hunt will be to get take my son in law on his first big hunt. Drop camp archery hunt with Comanche Wilderness outfitters My 3rd hunt with Scott

02-Jun-20
Nada for me, thinking of a cow tag just to get the experience. Next year is when the flood on entrants joins the fray with 3+0 pref points right?

02-Jun-20
Nothing again...

02-Jun-20
3+20 and nothing to show for it. Between the potheads, rioters, libtards and non-professional game managers in this state this 4th generation native has just about had it!

02-Jun-20
3+20 and nothing to show for it. Between the potheads, rioters, libtards and non-professional game managers in this state this 4th generation native has just about had it!

02-Jun-20
3 + 15 for me. NADA.

Matt

02-Jun-20
Understand the sentiment Lone Bugle...

02-Jun-20
CWO are a great bunch,I hunted with them and Gordon when I drew the statewide moose raffle a few years back,hows their drop camps

02-Jun-20
Lone bugle your referring to the desk jockeys not the field hands when you mention the game managers correct? Iv not had much good to say about many of the desk jockeys but every field officer Iv ever met has been top notch except for 2 lane in unit 19 and Kent in unit 96 that’s a very very small minority. For the record I agree whole heartedly on your other points

02-Jun-20
As a 5th generation Coloradan I definitely hear you Lone Bugle.

02-Jun-20
CWO. Good logistics, equipment, professionals

02-Jun-20
I’m confused by the whole x generations in Colorado. What does that have to do with the lottery ball not falling your way?

I can only assume you are saying because you’re grand daddy was here you should get a tag? If that’s the case, there are a bunch of Indians that would probably love some moose meat.

It’s not always easy to do, but if people can refrain from the “me” mentality, a lot of the world issues would go away overnight.

02-Jun-20
My family homesteaded about 12 miles from my current home in ne Colorado I don’t believe that gives me anymore right than anyone else

02-Jun-20
I drew with 3-10. Never drew as a resident, had to move away to get a Shiras tag :)

I drew the Grand Mesa (41) so anyone with experience there would be helpful

02-Jun-20
What I gathered was that they were fed up with the changing politics and growing population of CO.

And not to fart at the funeral, but if you didn't draw this year, it was your last chance before the step-off in odds that will happen next year when a large number of 3+0 folks enter the mix because of the change to the system where you no longer have to send in the tag money in order to apply.

02-Jun-20
^^^ But they have added the Qualifying License and the $50/100PP fee, which wasnt in effect 3 years ago when you could apply for just $3.

I think some have dropped since then

02-Jun-20
But I thought the high point holders had an advantage? At least that's what some guys on here claim. With that new influx of people they will get a majority of the tags as their sheer numbers give them the best odds at grabbing the lowest random number.

02-Jun-20
Orion you're correct. The very small advantage that the higher point holders had will get much smaller next year with all the 3+0 applicants. This was the year to draw.

02-Jun-20
Don't argue with Orion. He's a troll who fails at math.

02-Jun-20
I'm done playing the points game........ cause I drew a bull tag yipppppy...20 years and finally a coin landed on its edge..... the multi-season opportunity is incredible!!!

02-Jun-20
Idyl run the numbers over 60% of the tags are going to mid to low point holders. Good luck drawing with all your weighted points and their huge advantage

02-Jun-20
Just a question - anyone else with a fair amount of points thinking about just dumping them on a cow tag and getting out of the rat race? I’m definitely considering it...

02-Jun-20
^^^ I bet the stats this year are gonna show just that

02-Jun-20
I’ll bet a cow is no push over with a bow. I wouldn’t doubt if there are some 10-15 year old cows running around

Most Shiras bulls probably don’t make it to 7 yrs old

I would have to think there are some cagey old cows that would prove to be worthy trophy and a heck of a hunt.

02-Jun-20
Finally after 28yrs applying! email confirmation: Successful Hunt Code Product: M00 - Moose Application Hunt Code: MM019O1X; List: A Antlrd Season Choice 019

02-Jun-20
I get to guide... again cow in 37 for the mrs. her 3rd co. moosetag...

02-Jun-20
Congrats tradi-doerr! Will be a great hunt!

03-Jun-20
Think I am around 30 years applying for moose. No love this year either...

03-Jun-20
I applied the first year which, if I remember correctly, was 1985. They were introduced in 1978 and at that time, I elk hunted Unit 6, and consistently ran into moose in the North Michigan Reservoir drainage. Still waiting to get a license since then.

03-Jun-20
"Idyl run the numbers over 60% of the tags are going to mid to low point holders. Good luck drawing with all your weighted points and their huge advantage"

Confirmed bad at math.

03-Jun-20
Wait for it.

03-Jun-20
Almost.

03-Jun-20
Orion: What does the math show about the rate at which the lower end of the point pool applicants draw vs. rate of the higher end pool applicants?

Assuming your 60% number re tags drawn is correct, what % of applicants did that swath of all applicants did that represent? If 61% or more of the applicants were in the pool that accounted for 60% of the awarded tags then the point system works as tags/applicants had worse odds at the lower range.

Odds care about...individual odds. That is the rate. Here is an example. Would you rather be 21 or 110 today?

You could count up deaths this May and note more 21 year old men died than 110 year olds and you would be right. 21 year olds are like the 3+0 applicant group...quite a few of them relative to the 110 year olds aka 3+15. I would expect more 21 year olds to die. Boom, load up on life insurance 21 year olds because a lot of you die. Well, what you care about are not total deaths (or tags awarded) but the individual odds that you die (or draw), right?

If you divide deaths of 21 year olds by all 21 year olds then a very low death rate compare to 110 year olds rate of death. Rate is what an individual applicant needs to be focused upon as evaluate if they will get a tag and if they would benefit if had more points in the same draw. Rate is where you can confidently say, "Hey, is expected that more 21 years olds will die than 110 years olds but the odds any one 21 year old dies this month is much less than any one 110 year old." Same with 3+0 vs 3+15.

• Sitka Gear