Glunt@work 08-Jun-20
Grasshopper 08-Jun-20
Aspen Ghost 08-Jun-20
Grasshopper 08-Jun-20
Jaquomo 08-Jun-20
jordanathome 09-Jun-20
jordanathome 09-Jun-20
07-Jun-20
Drew a Unit 20 Elk tag and am looking for suggestions on where to focus. Have a sister who lives in Estes Park so I will stay there and plan on doing daily excursions onto public ground around 20. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

07-Jun-20
Just be careful hunting the public around private land. Lots of anti-hunters in that area who may not allow you to recover it if it dies on their property.

07-Jun-20
Thanks for the advice Jaquomo. I will try to get out there for a few days in July to scout. Will start researching Public land in area and at least come up with a starting plan.

07-Jun-20
I have seen some good elk in 20, and a few REALLy good bulls. I have drawn 4 tags as a nr. I ran into so many people the last 2 times, I gave up. There is elk... and hikers, joggers, bikers, leaflookers, muzzle loaders, bird hunters, fisherpeople, you get the picture. The 1 elk I killed was out of a treestand 5 minutes after 2 mountain bikers and their lab went past me at 20 yards. The elk just waited till they left and snuck into the wallow I was on. Next year I went there I found there were 5 blinds, treestands and cameras all over the cut. Almost got run over by a dirtbike on an elk trail, pretty much sealed it. Point being, get used to it, embrace it and you can kill one.

07-Jun-20
Some big bulls in 20, but they get big by knowing the public/private boundaries as well, or better, as the elk hunters. A friend has access to turkey hunt some private land in 20, and picked up these sheds there this Spring...

07-Jun-20
Image won’t load. Hmmmm... Anyway, he found some monster sheds.

07-Jun-20
Image won’t load. Hmmmm... Anyway, he found some monster sheds.

07-Jun-20
Best advise I have is be very mobile. Always seems like feast or famine in 20. Make a list of spots to try and dont commit much time to one if it's slow. Dont overlook small pockets.

I was bass fishing in the lowest part of 20 last week with 8 bulls feeding in the alfalfa 150 yards from me.

08-Jun-20
Jaq that brings up a point......you shoot an elk it goes onto private and dies and they refuse to let you on...What happens to the elk????

08-Jun-20
Nothing. You can get the local CPW officer to ask the land owner if you get refused but they have no obligation to allow recovery.

08-Jun-20
the landowner can be ticketed for waste of wildlife. Does that happen? I duhknow.

08-Jun-20
What regulation says a landowner can be ticketed for waste of wildlife if he doesn't allow tresspass?

08-Jun-20
He is not allowing trespass or hunting, he is allowing retrieval of game meat, or humane treatment of an injured animal. I am just going by what retired DWM Rick Spowart for Estes Park told me years ago.

There is the technical side of the law, and the practical side. If you do not allow retrieval, you are the cause of the waste. On the practical side:

1. Does a landowner in the Estes Valley want bears on their property to come eat the dead critter? 2. Do you want a rotting carcass on your place or to pay a guy with a backhoe to bury it? 3. Do you want it to go to waste? 4. Do you want a ticket and to write the check for the fine?

Most landowners can see the practical side pretty quick when the game warden is standing face to face with them.

08-Jun-20
Yep, but by the time you get a warden up there and sort it all out, the meat may likely be spoiled anyway

09-Jun-20
Nuttin but sammich bulls in 20 and rattlers and public land unmarked everywhere to trip a hand up. IF you plan to hunt the Indian Peaks wilderness up high you need permits to camp in advance and they sell them out of the forest service office in Boulder. Not sure if you have to buy in person or can call. There is a road between Jamestown and Ward that was closed after the floods in 2013..........lots of public land along it but also some private mines so gotta really know where you are at any point in time. Lots of land owned by Boulder that is also closed to hunting.

09-Jun-20

jordanathome's embedded Photo
jordanathome's embedded Photo
Here is a fairly average bull my buddy killed in 20 in 2018. I hear the area around Allenspark can be good as well as out around Spruce Mtn/Masonville area.

• Sitka Gear