Irishman 10-Jun-20
willliamtell 10-Jun-20
Sivart 11-Jun-20
'Ike' (Phone) 11-Jun-20
WapitiBob 11-Jun-20
Bob H in NH 12-Jun-20
08-Jun-20
So about to get Onx maps subscription.

What do you guys like better, the app or the chip?

I actually don't own a smartphone so would just use the app on desktop, But figured the chip might be cheaper long term/compatible when I upgrade my gps.

Your opinions?

Also to the chip owners... do you get free updates?

09-Jun-20
I have the app, but not the chip. However, a friend of mine has both and prefers the chip. And if I recall reading info on their website, if you buy the chip, you get an included one yr subscription to the app.

I will most likely get the chip also.

09-Jun-20
I have the app, couple buds have chip and app. I like the app 99 bucks and once you get used to using it and navigating through the icons it is sweet. Nice to have in your pocket and on the phone so you can instantly check where you are and boundaries. My buddies seem to use the app more with their cell phones. Shawn

09-Jun-20
I haven't turned on my GPS since getting the app on my phone. One less thing to pack around.

Matt

09-Jun-20
App here.

09-Jun-20
The app made my gps so obsolete I gave my Garmin Oregon away.

09-Jun-20
"The app made my gps so obsolete I gave my Garmin Oregon away." Ohndycp

Exactly what I did as well.

09-Jun-20
I have both. If you don’t have a smart phone the app loses a lot of its luster. I would get the chip.

09-Jun-20
If you still send faxes, use a landline regularly, or watch a TV that has a dial and no remote you will want the chip. If you have entered the modern era you can’t live without the app.

09-Jun-20
App for sure, never use a GPS anymore. I use my Garmin inReach mini as my backup.

09-Jun-20
For you app guys, what does that do to battery life? How long can you run it without recharging? Being miles from the nearest charge for days could be problematic.

09-Jun-20
I have ha the app for several years an it is a game changer for sure. It gets better every year.

09-Jun-20
Why would people recommend the app...he doesn’t have a smart phone.

09-Jun-20
JDM, you can use the app without using cellular data if you download the required maps for your hunting area at home on wifi prior to heading out. That greatly increases battery life. I can easily get 3 days out of my iPhone in that mode with moderate use and my phone is an old POS.

09-Jun-20
Does the app work when you have no cell service?

09-Jun-20
Yes, if you have downloaded the maps you need. Shawn

09-Jun-20
If you don't have a phone, the chip works fine, the only problem with a gps is the screen resolution for sat imagery. Get google earth pro, use that for your e-scouting and sending waypoints/tracks/areas to the gps as well as uploading data from the gps to GE. There's no reason to get onX if you won't use the phone app.

09-Jun-20
Both, because I still carry a small GPS for the 'just in-case' thing...

09-Jun-20
where I go I am way out of cell service. I need GPS to navigate by waypoints in the dark. If I had cell service where I hunted I'd use the phone app, one less thing to carry, lose, get stolen etc

10-Jun-20
If any of the phone gps apps needed service we wouldn't use them.

10-Jun-20
Williamtell,

The GPS feature on your smart phone works anywhere, with or without service. So, all you have to do is download the maps of the area you will be hunting ahead of time when you are in service. Then you will have everything thing you need to navigate in your out-of-service hunting spot. Plus you will have the beautiful resolution of a modern phone screen, instead of the little archaic, hard to see screen used on most GPS units. The interface is also light years ahead of most GPS interfaces.

The app has literally made my GPS obsolete.

Matt

10-Jun-20
I had the app on my phone, then Onx got updated and wouldn't work on the version of Android on my phone, so I was back to using the GPS again. So Onx can make your GPS obsolete, then Onx can make your phone obsolete, then your GPS can make Onx obsolete. HA!

10-Jun-20
grey ghost, gonna check that out.

11-Jun-20
How does the GPS feature work with the smartphone? I've tried to mark a waypoint on Onx when there was no cell service and it didn't work. I know I'm doing something wrong???

11-Jun-20
You have to save OffLine Maps...Go to YouTube or onX and it'll explain the process...

11-Jun-20
on the app, tap "add waypoint", tap "save"

done

12-Jun-20
OnX is cool even with downloaded maps, it pulls your waypoints/tracks with the map when you download. Then you can drop more pins, tracks etc. while "offline" and when you reconnect, it synchs back.

• Sitka Gear