Treeline 15-Jun-20
sticksender 15-Jun-20
Treeline 15-Jun-20
NoWiser 15-Jun-20
tkjwonta 15-Jun-20
13-Jun-20

BULELK1's Link
Read-em and Weep! haha

That Non-Ressy wirh 27 D-Ram points and didn't draw 1 of the 2 tags in that unit, must have drawn an LE ?? tag first-----> Ouch!

Good luck, Robb

13-Jun-20
Dang grasshopper--------->

1 in 4,932 odds...…….

You Da Man!

Good luck, Robb

13-Jun-20
Zion desert sheep?

Dang! Won the lotto!

13-Jun-20
Utah LE is so frustrating for the NR. Always changing :-(

13-Jun-20
And damn tough to ever draw!

13-Jun-20
Thanks Rob for all the help! I have caught up with a couple former hunters of Zion, and they have loaded me up with waypoints!

This whole virus thing has cancelled the summer agenda for my kids so my scouting trips are in the air.

I do have peace of mind knowing it is a two month season, and I have Intel!

Back in February I went Paleo, have dropped weight, exactly to where I want to be, stepping up my vertical regiment...

I've stepped up my Powerball spending, nothing to show for it but a lighter wallet so far.

13-Jun-20
Good luck Grasshopper, hope we get to hear all the details of your hunt afterwards.

I find the UT mountain goat situation very frustrating. There used to be several bonus tags available for NR and there was a shred of hope of drawing a nanny tag if you stayed in the game long enough. Now, 11 points later, there are only a handful of tags period, and looking at .025% odds for the foreseeable future.

Anyone have "boots on the ground" info on mountain goat population dynamics in UT? Have things really gotten bad? If so, any idea why?

13-Jun-20
Awesome tag, Steve! Looking forward to hearing about it!

13-Jun-20
Grasshopper soak all that in, that is a once in 10,000 lifetimes.

Treeline, it’s like trying to draw 201 elk and they keep taking away tags. The unit I scouted now has zero preference points, all random now so I may have to go about things differently and make another scouting trip. 21 points and counting :-(

13-Jun-20
Hitting that same wall with bison over there in Utah myself! I feel your pain!

13-Jun-20
I am in deep with lots and lots of points for 5 species but cant help but feel that I am caught up in a PONZI SCHEME.

13-Jun-20
apparently odds of 1 in 2172 aint so bad.

14-Jun-20
Dang grasshopper, congrats on a good one!

14-Jun-20
What’d you pull, Gus?

14-Jun-20

BULELK1's Link

You are Welcome Steve

Tyler------->

I spend a lot of time up on the Willard Peak unit for years and years.

They migrate, get trap for transplants, over harvest on to many Nannie tags, and just die off.

I did one of my Photo/Scouting trips for a couple bowsiters that drew the tag, see my link above

Good luck, Robb

PS ~~ Heck yeah Gus!!!!

14-Jun-20
19 elk and 13 for everything else. I may burn my deer and elk points soon and drop out of the game. I guess it depends what they do with app costs in the future.

Its unfortunate that as I build more points and get older (60) I’m less passionate about hunting trophies on my own as I am taking a kid out back for their deer or turkey.

I really don’t have room for more horns or antlers anyway

And I’m surely not mounting anything else.

14-Jun-20
Treeline, I drew the NR Kaiparowits East Desert Bighorn Sheep Tag.

14-Jun-20
Congrats Gus! Enjoy the ride.

14-Jun-20
Thanks Robb. Good catch on the 27 point guy. He could've even drew a moose or goat tag too I suppose.

What's seems to me even more significant is the fact that there is actually a bonus desert tag AND a bonus rocky tag for non-residents this year. That's the first time in a long time (if ever?) any bonus sheep tag was given to a NR. It's great for the high-point NR guys, but I'm wondering why the DWR would choose to do this (meaning they have to issue at least 2 NR sheep tags for one hunt code) when there are only a total of 5 NR tags issued state-wide for each species. And they have 17 different hunts for desert sheep and 14 different for bighorn sheep to spread them across. Sure wish they'd let us apply for one of those archery tags ;-)

15-Jun-20
True that Greg

I often have wondered why they don't do the Draw order in the Non-Ressy OIL species as it's list 4th in the draw order I believe but Ressy's can only apply for 1 of the OIL species...confusing! haha

Like I've done for years with going to the RAC meetings or simply typing out Emails to request at least 2 non-ressy tag in every unit/species offered.....Maybe there is starting to be some light at the end of the loooonnnnggggg Tunnel...….

Good luck, Robb

PS-------> I'm outta here to go hike/scout my Utah LE Bow Bull tag unit in about an hour for the 3 1/2 hour drive over. Taking my 13 year old great nephew with me, I hope he can live without WiFi or phone Bars for 3 days!! haha I bought him a backpack fishing pole to bide his leisure time.

15-Jun-20
Good to know that at least a few guys are drawing those nearly impossible odds tags!

Gotta pay to play...

Have fun on your scouting trip Robb!

15-Jun-20
I’m sitting on a bunch of points too and got nada this year. Congrats guys on a couple of amazing tags!

15-Jun-20
Do the draw reports show just 1st choice applicants or 1st and 2nd choice? I noticed a few hunts where the highest point holders didn't draw the bonus permit so I have to assume they either drew deer or had it as a 2nd choice.

15-Jun-20
Utah’s system is tough. You can apply (as a NR) for all species but only draw one tag.

There is a sequence of the draw and the high point applicant may have drawn another species before the species that they had all the points for was pulled.

1/2 of the tags go to the maximum point holders and the other half foe to a random draw. However, if there is only one NR tag available, it goes into the random draw.

15-Jun-20
NoWiser, they fill all first choices before any 2nd choices. So, for most limited licenses, nobody gets their 2nd choice.

15-Jun-20
Sticksender is correct for Utah.

Arizona goes to the first 2 choices. Nevada goes through all your choices.

15-Jun-20
I understand how the Utah draw works. My questions is if the draw report shows both 1st and 2nd choice applicants or only 1st choice for a particular hunt.

15-Jun-20
That's a good question, could you find out by adding up the total application numbers from each hunt and then seeing if it matches up with the total number from the species summary page at the start of the report?

• Sitka Gear