JL 01-Oct-20
Rock 01-Oct-20
sticksender 01-Oct-20
sticksender 01-Oct-20
Bou'bound 03-Oct-20
Spiral Horn 03-Oct-20
Bou'bound 03-Oct-20
13-Jun-20
Had a Greenland Muskox/Caribou Hunt scheduled for September that was just kicked down the road for 2021. With the current travel restrictions not allowing U.S. to even transit Denmark, quarantine restrictions in Greenland, and the inability to even book a flight for the foreseeable future, it simply won’t happen this year.

Outfitter is very understanding and supportive and is rescheduling the hunt to 2021.

13-Jun-20
Is that with frank

13-Jun-20
No - Joe Jakob. But don’t know how Frank’s situation would be any different.

13-Jun-20
I wouldn’t be. Have been wondering about that hunt and if it would happen this year. I did it last year. Epic. It is worth the wait.

13-Jun-20
Roger that! I was and still am really looking forward to it.

13-Jun-20
Is that with frank

13-Jun-20
Roger that! I was and still am really looking forward to it.

13-Jun-20
Mysterious bowsite repeating posts... repeating posts... repeating posts

13-Jun-20
Frank's Caribou and Muskox hunts are all "go" for this fall. I'll be there with a group of 6 in late Sept. We're told that US citizens are currently free to fly through Copenhagen, although as of right now, they can't leave the airport & roam the city or go to a hotel. That policy might or might not be relieved in another 3 months. If not, they're providing cots in case of an overnight stay in the terminals. To enter Greenland from there we're asked to provide a negative swab test taken within the prior 5 days, and fill out a form reporting our intended travel & quarantine plans in Greenland. Once landed in Kangerlussuaq in Greenland we board a helo and fly straight to his remote camp.

13-Jun-20
That’s great news for your group, Greg! Hopefully, everything goes well! Greenland is a blast.

13-Jun-20
Good deal, Greg. Hope to see an exciting recap this fall, good luck!

14-Jun-20
We were scheduled for early September. As of today there are just too many unresolved travel, permit and entry/transit issues to risk committing to an early September 2020 hunt, especially when traveling with weapons. With the outfitter willing to postpone to next year we were happy to take that option.

Hope Frank’s hunts go off without a hitch. If our hunt was later we might have pushed it.

14-Jun-20
Green land is definitely on my list!

Which outfits should I look at for a combo caribou musk ox hunt? For the travel time and cost i would want to get both for sure:)

14-Jun-20
If flights are open to Iceland, why not fly in there vs Copenhagen?

A side discussion on a little Greenland caribou/musk ox history for anyone that has an interest. Coincidentally....about 3 days ago I was info'd on a non-Bowsite email string about the history of the caribou and musk ox in northern Greenland. The writer is an old timer friend of mine who was stationed at the CG's early LORAN A sites in northern Greenland way back in the early 1950's. He is our (the CG's) resident Greenland expert. I thought some of the folks going to Greenland would find this short email response interesting. I mentioned this before that I've been lucky to go to the SE coast of Greenland 3 times doing WWII MIA work. I'd go back. A caribou hunt in Iceland would be cool too.

XXXXXXXXXX,

National Museum of Denmark

Thank you once again for your 'researching' answers to my questions. In this case, that a seed herd of nine (9) reindeer/caribou were transplanted in Olrik Fjord in 1965. I am attaching a map of that includes the location of Olrik Fjord, across Inglefield Gulf from Qaanaaq (New Thule).

Recall that when I was visiting in Qaanaaq-Thule in 1994, I saw the heads & antlers of 3 or 4 freshly killed reindeer/caribou on the roof of a house. I immediately asked where they had come from. Supposedly, caribou had long been extinct there.

Various Thule District literature mentioned that caribou had long been extinct there since about the late 1910's / early 1920's. Some writers (Knud Rasmussen, etc.) blamed it on Robert E. Peary's introduction of guns to the Eskimos as part of his payments to them for their services to his expeditions. Peary also referred to Olrik Fjord as "the deer pastures" in the 1890's.

Aside: Rasmussen credited Peary for saving the small Polar Inuit tribe from their near extinction, and "transporting them from an aboriginal existence into the 20th Century". Unlike the earlier explorers there; he had paid them for their services during all of his expeditions there, 1891 - 1909.

I was told that a U.S. Coast Guard icebreaker had transplanted reindeer/ caribou in Olrik Fjord in 1965 or 1966. I did not succeed in learning the name of the ship.

The USCGC NORTHWIND later transplanted small seed herds of musk oxen in four locations in the Thule District in the summer of 1986, which had been captured in the Sondre Strom Fjord using the ship's two helicopters to select and "dart" the young male and female musk oxen. One of the 4 seed herds was deposited at the site of the former USCG LORAN station south of Cape Atholl. The others farther north near Qaanaaq, Siraupaluk (spelling) and Etah.

Again, Thank You.

XXXXXX, USCG, Retired

14-Jun-20
JL, yes flying via Iceland would be shorter and possibly cheaper, and some guys en route to Greenland have gone that way. The reasons for going through Copenhagen instead of Iceland are that the outfitter strongly recommends against it that time of year (after tourist season) due to the unreliability of flights to & from Iceland. Also I know Iceland deems archery gear as weapons, and you have to process them like firearms, whereas Denmark and Greenland do not. Also notable that if any of us miss the incoming flight to Kangerlussuaq, we'd have to pay a 5500.00 USD charter fee for our own chopper.

14-Jun-20

JL's Link
The problems I have seen is not the take-offs but the landings. If the weather is bad in Kangerlussuaq, no plane is landing there regardless of origin.

Looking at Air Iceland's rules (the link)....they look similar to the US's....your equipment just has to be checked in...no carry-ons. If you're there on a connecting flight....no worries.

Air Greenland looks to be similar also with one exception. If your flying from Denmark/Copenhagen to Greenland with a firearm, you have to fill out a declaration form. The instructions nor form make make no mention of archery equipment. If their customs folks get funny about archery equipment going to Greenland, then you would have to fill out the dec form.

https://www.airgreenland.com/travel-info/before-travel/special-baggage-items

"Weapons and ammunition

Weapons and ammunition are generally accepted as checked-in baggage. Check-in must be completed no later than 1½ hours before departure. You must bring a valid weapon permit with you, and a declaration has to be completed and signed.

Download and fill out the weapon declaration here » A permit must be applied for in the following situations:

Weapons between Greenland and Denmark: State weapon type, caliber, manufacturing number, etc. The permit is issued by the chief constable’s office in Greenland/Denmark provided that an import permit from the relevant police district in Denmark/Grønland is presented.

Weapons that are carried on flights from countries other than Denmark to Greenland: Export permit from native country and valid blue EU weapons passport.

Weapons of any nature are accepted only as baggage that is checked into the hold. Weapons must be correctly and neutrally packed, and ammunition and any bolts must be removed and packed separately.

On check-in, the passenger must state the following:

Weapon type: rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other Ammunition type: pointed projectile, lead shot, steel shot or other (projectiles may not contain explosive substances or incendiary substances). Weight of ammunition – max. permitted weight 5 kg

Special cases

Weapons that are transported on domestic flights in Greenland by permanent residents of Greenland do not require a permit.

Pursuant to legislation, special permission can be obtained to acquire, possess, carry, use, export or import weapons and ammunition. Following special permission from the Danish Transport Authority, permission can be obtained to transport weapons and ammunition. "

14-Jun-20
The paperwork is no issue. Frank provides what you need to know.

If the plane from Copenhagen is late all wait and go on on chopper. If someone tries Iceland contrary to outfitter direction and you ate not there on time they are not holding the chopper for you.

14-Jun-20
Great information.......a friend and myself are booked with Frank next year, September 2021. For those going this year, best of luck and when you get back, give us all a recap!

15-Jun-20
The paperwork is no issue. Frank provides what you need to know.

If the plane from Copenhagen is late all wait and go on on chopper. If someone tries Iceland contrary to outfitter direction and you ate not there they are not holding the chopper for you.

15-Jun-20
I wouldn’t be. Have been wondering about that hunt and if it would happen this year. I did it last year. Epic. It is worth the wait.

15-Jun-20
Is that with frank

15-Jun-20
As of last year, there wasn't a direct flight from Iceland to Kangerlussuaq. If you wanted to go through Iceland, you'd have to go through Nuuk in Greenland to get to Kangerlussuaq. That adds another Air Greenland flight, which is not cheap, as well as the possibility of not getting in or out of Nuuk, as they are known for their fog (what we were told by more than one local). This year Air Iceland was supposed to have their direct flight from Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq reinstated, but that was pre-Covid planning. Not sure if that flight has been added or not?

Although a bow is not considered a firearm in Denmark, you may or may not get hassled as if it is. It all depends on the individual checking you in. If they do make you fill out a declaration form, it's not a big deal. It just takes some time, so make sure you have plenty of it. Sticksender's not joking about having to pay for your own chopper getting into camp if you miss your scheduled flight.

16-Jun-20
I'm hunting with Frank (2nd trip to Greenland) in September this year. Our trip is still a go. My flights are booked. As of now, we aren't allowed to leave the airport in Copenhagen. I guess I'll be spending the night on the floor in the airport. We are flying out to camp after landing in Kangerlussuaq. I'll do a full trip report when I get back.

16-Jun-20
I’ve slept at the Copenhagen airport. It’s interesting listening to a different language all night. My hunt with Frank tops my list! Can’t wait to hear about this new area for caribou. The musk ox was neat but the caribou is awesome!

16-Jun-20
Neubauer... also odd was wine sold at Burger King

17-Jun-20
Bummer you guys may not be able to leave the airport in Copenhagen, as it is a great city to visit. At least you should still be able to get a Tuborg Classic at one of the airport watering holes!

17-Jun-20
I believe there’s a couple of hotels that are connected to the terminal in Copenhagen. Is that not an option vs sleeping in the airport?

17-Jun-20
Troy, The latest information that I have is you must remain in the Copenhagen airport until your next flight into Kangerlussuaq. Hopefully the restrictions will be lifted before our trip. I’ve seen much of Europe, but not Denmark. Hopefully restrictions will loosen we can leave the airport on our return back to the US.

17-Jun-20
Gotcha, Randy. Copenhagen is definitely a “must see” if you get the chance! Hopefully you will.

17-Jun-20
I

19-Jun-20

Greenland Frank's Link
We have been corresponding direct with the Danish border police at Copenhagen airport, and authorities in Greenland. It takes more work for the outfitter and clients to make the hunt happen this year, but once you get in Camp all is good. Coming to Kangerlussuaq from the US, as it is now you need to stay in transit in Copenhagen airport, but in Aug/Sept it could be possible to leave the airport, and visit Copenhagen, if you can change your ticket by then. Travel restrictions are also getting easier almost each week. Normally there are direct flights between Iceland and Kangerlussuaq, but this year you would have to connect in Nuuk, which often has fog. So we get our hunters to Kangerlussuaq from Copenhagen this year. Kangerlussuaq airport has 99,7% weather stability, so delays on the line are very rare.

19-Jun-20
Thanks for the update Frank. Really looking forward to this trip. If there are still restrictions involved, so be it. I’m ready to hunt.

19-Jun-20
I would love to do that hunt!

The problem has been that traditional bows have not been legal. I would not do that hunt with a compound nor rifle.

Any update on legalizing traditional bows?

19-Jun-20
I’ve got a longbow that I’ve done nothing with. My goal is to change that this year.

19-Jun-20

Greenland Frank's Link
I have tried to include traditional bows for awhile, same as Polar Bear. The Government want a sight on the bow- like on a rifle... But you can still shoot a bare compound bow in Greenland. I think it will take a few years to get traditional bows legalized.

19-Jun-20
Frank........great to hear things are looking better for this year’s hunting season. Looking forward to our hunt in September 2021.

19-Jun-20
The way the prices have jumped for that hunt, sure hits the read guy’s pocket book a lot harder...

Had several discussions with P&Y folks on this one and was trying to work out a trial run with some trad guys that know what they are doing to provide some education for the regulators. Just hasn’t come together I guess.

That is one hunt that may be worth the price just to go up and see that part of the world without shooting anything... Heck, don’t think I can bring the meat home from there so that takes a lot out of it for me... Love caribou meat and the musk ox I have had was really good stuff, too.

My wife would be pretty upset if I didn’t bring back a pile of meat - just more heads and horns to clutter up the house:-)

20-Jun-20
My wife cried when I hung the muskox in our living room. She’s going to cry again when I hang the caribou.

Greenland is one of the last undeveloped places on Earth. It’s worth the price of admission.

23-Jun-20
"Greenland is one of the last undeveloped places on Earth. It’s worth the price of admission."

^^^^^THIS^^^^

01-Oct-20
Any news on whatever happened on this trip?

01-Oct-20
I know someone who was trying to get up there for MIA recovery work and it didn't happen. They even had special permission and it was shut down. I would be surprised if any NR's made it up there.

01-Oct-20
X2 Ttreeline, if all they need is a sight on the bow I am willing to tape one onto it.

01-Oct-20

01-Oct-20
All Greenland hunts for US citizens were stopped after the EU travel ban was announced in June, which has, to-date, not been rescinded. Hopefully, by the time our re-schedule dates roll around next September, we'll be allowed to go.

03-Oct-20
all i can tell you is it is well worth waiting for.

03-Oct-20
So I take it that all of Frank’s 2020 hunts were postponed to 2021 as well?

03-Oct-20
Unless he is guiding locals

• Sitka Gear