Mathews Inc.
Mid-day elk movement
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
hoyt-6190 15-Jun-20
hoyt-6190 15-Jun-20
15-Jun-20
For those of you who have taken bulls mid day from a water hole or near a water hole. How did you pick you location of where to set up? Do bulls tend to use the bottom of a drainage to access water or will they approach water side slope using timber/shade to keep them hidden or concealed?

15-Jun-20
I have observed an area in the past where I see bulls come out of a drainage, within a 50 yard area. The area I assume they are coming from is their bedding area.You can sit up high in the mornings and not see any elk walk in to where they come out. This area I assume is their bedding area if you follow the terrian is a water source 700 yards away. On the south side of the drainage is timbered, on the north side very sparse timber. I have seen some trails in the very bottom. I am guessing these bulls walk up in this bedding area really early and bed and at some point in the day come to the water source for water then, go back to bedding area before coming out in the evening to eat. Just trying to figure out if setting up mid slop is a best opiton to have a crack at these bulls. Wind should be right if its a prevailing wind for the area.

• Sitka Gear