Drnaln 17-Jun-20
Mark 17-Jun-20
BOHNTR 17-Jun-20
Mark 17-Jun-20
BOHNTR 17-Jun-20
Tilzbow 17-Jun-20
smarba 18-Jun-20
16-Jun-20
I hear that Nevada has outlawed the use of trail cameras on public land between August 1 and December 31. I can't find it in the Regs, where's it located? Thanks Mark

17-Jun-20
This is old news, actually. It has been in effect since 2018.

http://www.ndow.org/uploadedFiles/ndoworg/Content/Public_Meetings/Com/13-B-Commission-General-Regulation-440-Trail-Cameras.pdf

17-Jun-20
It might be old news, but I don’t see it anywhere in the regulations. Your Link is just recommendations. Thanks for the response.

17-Jun-20

BOHNTR's Link
It’s right here. An easy search brings the e-regs up for your review. Scroll to the bottom.

17-Jun-20
Thank you!

17-Jun-20
Thank you!

17-Jun-20
I only see the following requirement at the bottom of BOHNTRs link

"Trail Cameras With certain exemptions, it is illegal to place, maintain or use a trail camera on public land from August 1 – December 31 of each year. July 1 through December 31 if the camera is capable of transmitting."

That would suggest cellular cameras, not "regular" game cams.

17-Jun-20
Wish all states would do the same on public ground. Cameras are out of control in some places!

17-Jun-20
Good assumption? I’ll call and get clarification on that.

They’ll probably say I think you’ll be ok. HaHa That seems to be the standard answer if there not sure.

17-Jun-20
Having had to interpret laws for 30 years, here’s what the law basically is, smarba.

Regular trail camera are not allowed on public land from August 1-December 31. If using a cellular camera (transmitting images) they are not allowed from July 1-December 31. Basically a month earlier they must be pulled.

17-Jun-20
Thanks Roy

17-Jun-20
You’re welcome, Mark! Good luck.

17-Jun-20

Tilzbow's Link
All the details below for your reading pleasure (I prefer the summary). It’s also important to note that in one prominent group of elk units near Ely, many of the springs and water tanks are on private land but you’d never know it without a landownership map. So if you find trail cameras it’s possible the landowner gave permission and they’re legal. There are other exceptions detailed via the link and below.

NAC?503.1485??Use of trail camera or similar device: Restrictions; exceptions. (NRS 501.105, 501.181) 1.??Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person shall not place, maintain or use a trail camera or similar device: (a)?Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year. (b)?At any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device transmits, or is capable of transmitting, images, video or location data of wildlife. (c)?At any time if the placement, maintenance or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source or artificial basin which is used by wildlife and collects, or is designed and constructed to collect, water. 2.??The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to: (a)?A person who is acting within the scope of his or her official duties, has clearly marked each trail camera or similar device to be used to indicate ownership and is: (1)?An employee or authorized agent of this State; (2)?An employee or authorized agent of a municipal or county government of this State; or (3)?An employee or authorized agent of the Federal Government. (b)?A person who places, maintains or uses the trail camera or similar device with approval from the Department. (c)?A person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera or similar device on private property with the permission of the landowner. (d)?A person who places, maintains or uses a trail camera or similar device to monitor the use by livestock of any water source described in paragraph (c) of subsection 1 if the owner of the trail camera or similar device is the holder of a permit to appropriate water issued by the State Engineer for the purpose of watering livestock. 3.??As used in this section, “trail camera or similar device” means any device which is not held or manually operated by a person and is used to capture images, video or location data of wildlife using heat or motion to trigger the device. (Added to NAC by Bd. of Wildlife Comm’rs by R012-16, eff. 5-16-2018)

18-Jun-20
BOHNTR, now I see what you're saying regarding the 2 separate date ranges.

• Sitka Gear