Scar Finga 27-Jun-20
steff 29-Jun-20
pav 29-Jun-20
pav 01-Jul-20
Elkhntr101 02-Jul-20
17-Jun-20

Huntcell 's Link
Hope your unit is being spared .

Some major fires in Arizona this week, including a big one in Tonto National Forest approaching 100,000 acres,

Last I heard this year was as good as a moisture year as last year in Arizona . Apparently not in some areas.

Well actually what I heard was the North rim was seeing good moisture and antler growth may surpass last years phenomenon of mega bucks on the landscape.

17-Jun-20
There are BIG fires in 12A/B (Mangum not magnum), 22 (Bush), 27 (Bringham not brigham), and 33 (Bighorn). The one in 22 is the worst at the moment, Tonto NF as mentioned above. Rain is nowhere in sight. Please pray for the firefighters helping to protect our resources!

17-Jun-20
Been waiting for this a long time. The Kaibab burn was getting near 15 years old and this is just what the doctor ordered.

17-Jun-20
Looking bad right now. Put in for Kaibab archery with 9 points. Can only hope for the best...or use my point guard.

17-Jun-20
I would love to have a Kaibab archery tag for this year.

17-Jun-20
Whiskey fire in 6B last year screwed my hunt up big time. Only able to hunt half the unit and twice as many hunters since they were concentrated. Really sucked when it took 8yrs to draw the tag.

17-Jun-20
"I would love to have a Kaibab archery tag for this year."

Not if they go the route that the FS has been in CO/CA where they close the burn down for 3-5 years...

17-Jun-20
All that moisture we had really increased the fuel loads, especially the lower elevations with tall grass and brush. That’s what’s causing these desert fires to explode. That non-native invasive grass(buffelgrass) is like gasoline!

If the Bush fire(GMU 22) jumps Tonto Creek and the strong SW winds continue, all bets are off. It’ll get into the Greenbacks, Sierra Ancha wilderness and Hellsgate with nothing to stop it. Highway 188 is the critical line! I’m almost certain they are back burning along 188 preparing for this. It’s gotta hold and not allow Tonto Creek to be tested.

17-Jun-20
It’s early in the year and there’s no reason to panic. Yet. I hunted the Gila the same year as the Whitewater-Baldy fire and we found lots of elk and lots of unburned country within the fire’s perimeter. This fire was the biggest in NM history, burned for several months and wasn’t fully contained until July. Burn areas were already greened up in late September and full of elk.

17-Jun-20
Anything near the white mountain rez? Have friends there that are teachers.

17-Jun-20
I was in east central Utah and the smoke from the Kaibab fire was thick... ash was falling several hundred miles away. Az burns every year... fire is good. Ed F

18-Jun-20
Damn...

18-Jun-20
I too am in the draw for a Kaibab tag...but only seven points going in, so not even close to a slam dunk. If I get lucky and draw, this will be the third year in the past four years that fires have affected my hunts. Prior to 2017....nada.

18-Jun-20
I don’t know how anyone can say fire is good unless it’s a prescribed burn. The fire that we had a few years back took out 257 homes and burnt 45,000 acres. It was good hunting as usual for a few years but now all the thousands probably millions of burnt trees have fallen down making for some ugly barren land and so many down falls you can’t hardly get through most of it. Probably be 100 years or more before there is a beautiful Ponderosa pine forest again. Best of luck to AZ !

18-Jun-20
I'm pretty sure that fire has been around for a long time and it has been proven that fire is beneficial for wildlife. I wasn't referring to homes being burned or people getting killed/hurt. Ed F

18-Jun-20
Cut and pasted from another site.....pretty good perspective!

“My perspective regarding the ongoing Mangum Fire based on working for the FS on the North Kaibab and nearly 50 years of hunting there – my views stem from my personal experience & observations and my forestry degree. My apologies in advance for what is a probably a long-winded posting.

First, some background to set the stage. Fire is essential to maintain healthy ponderosa pine forests in the Southwest. But such fires on the North Kaibab were infrequent during the early-to-mid 1900’s due to FS policy of quickly suppressing every fire. The Saddle Mountain Fire in 1964 was the only major wildfire until the late 70’s. The Moquitch, Demotte and LeFevre fires in the late 70’s-early 80’s were the among the first major fires in a long time - during the 80’s the FS began to change its fire management policies and started to recognize/use fire as a tool to restore the health of the North Kaibab’s forest ecosystem. Most large fires on the North Kaibab have tended to burn from the SW toward the NE because that is the general direction of prevailing winds during fire season.

I first hunted the North Kaibab in 1971 – deer were abundant on the high plateau in the pine/mixed conifer forest – large aspen stands were uncommon. Through the 70’s and 80’s I hunted the high points along the western side of the high plateau, such as Castle, Big Springs, Nail, Moquitch and Oak Points – big bucks were abundant throughout those areas. Late 80’s and early 90’s were a high point in terms of big bucks. The 1996 Bridger Knoll Fire was a large fire that burned from south to north along the west side from Big Saddle north to Pine Hollow and beyond. It created/restored a lot of transition zone and & winter range areas. I hunted the area burned by the 59,000 acre Warm Fire in 2006 (commonly referred to as the “Burn”) prior to that fire – bucks were there, but hard to find because of the thick forest. Since the “Burn” I’ve continued to hunt the points mentioned above, but each year I find fewer and fewer deer on those points, esp. during the archery hunt. My opinion is that the “Burn” attracts and holds many deer that used to be found elsewhere. Why? Because of the super abundant browse that grew (primarily aspen) after the “Burn”. Many deer are concentrated in and around the Burn during the archery season and the early rifle hunt – as are hunters! Hunters concentrate there because the fire removed the dense forest and made it possible to glass & spot bucks. But knowledgeable hunters are aware that by 3-4 days after opening of early rifle hunt bucks move out of the burn area and can be found at lower elevations toward the west.

Deer generally start moving toward winter range areas in response to extreme hunter pressure in the “Burn” and temps/weather in mid-to-late Oct. My understanding is that about 60% of deer on the high plateau migrate toward the west, 20% move east and 20% move north. In addition, deer in the Paunsagunt unit of Utah migrate south into northern AZ in late Oct – hunters in 12 BW and north end of 12 AW are hunting UT deer in late Oct and Nov.

The 55,000+ acre Magnum Fire will have an immediate effect of temporarily displacing deer from the burned areas. But deer will quickly begin to move into it when monsoon precipitation causes annual grasses to emerge in Aug and Sept. Probably won’t see the same flush of aspen regeneration because much of the north half of burn is at lower elevation where aspen in not prevalent. It will likely cause archery and early rifle hunters to be displaced out of burned-over areas. Water will continue to be a limiting factor. The burned area north and east of Hwy 89A will likely quickly see regrowth of oak, locust, cliffrose, sage and grasses. It will open up large areas that can be glassed.

Burned areas south of Warm Springs Canyon will be devoid of deer for a year or two, but deer will move through these areas as they move west off the high plateau as they migrate toward winter range areas. I expect in a few years there will be abundant aspen providing feed and deer will likely concentrate there during the summer and early fall – perhaps spreading out the super concentration of deer found in and around the “Burn” – and that will be good.

Bottom line – in spite of the Mangum Fire, any Kaibab tag is a good tag to have this year. Vehicle access will likely be restricted until mid-July or later due to extreme fire danger; hunters may not be able to do the same advance scouting due to area closures. Expect increased hunter concentrations in areas outside the Mangum Fire area. And in the long-term, expect greatly improved habitat conditions for deer and continued hunting opportunities for big bucks for one of the greatest mule deer area in the West. And I’ll be there with a tag in my hand!“

19-Jun-20
Thanks Roy for sharing that report. Overall the fire sounds like a positive for wildlife. Hopefully there won't be too many property/asset losses for individuals.

Been banking points to hunt the Kaibab for many years now, might need to cash in sooner rather than later.

19-Jun-20
Never really actively hunted burns, but may now look at them a lil harder...

22-Jun-20

Snag's Link
Up to date maps.

23-Jun-20
Bush fire 61% contained, went from 14 % yesterday. The winds have laid down the last two days which helps tremendously. Have not had any smoke the last two days. Christopher Creek area.

As far as hunting in the burn. After the Dude fire they opened it up for cutting firewood that fall, went up there and with the monsoon rain the area was all green with new growth. And there were elk everywhere. So if there is a good monsoon and they will let you in I would be willing to bet that the deer will taking advantage of the new growth.

Terry

23-Jun-20
Flooding is going to be tremendous the first few heavy rain storms we get. Hope everything and everyone down stream is prepared. Roosevelt like could take a huge hit and maybe a die off.

23-Jun-20
I ate spicy wings last night and my Az is on fire today....

23-Jun-20
LOL! : )

What's the % containment Fuzzy?! ;-)

23-Jun-20
I've got a line around it and I'm mopping up now. If we get a good rain it's just gonna be mud and memories soon.

23-Jun-20
LOL! : )

24-Jun-20
Mangum Fire over 70K acres, 68% containment.

24-Jun-20
Bwahaha, Fuzzy!! Are you going to be changing your handle after the brush fire!?

24-Jun-20
on fire with covid 19

24-Jun-20
"on fire with covid 19

Did you hear that from Cuomo?

24-Jun-20

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
I was bear hunting near the Bush Fire for the past week, and finally got tired of breathing the smoke and came home. Just after getting home, my neighborhood caught on fire yesterday. This pic is from my driveway.

24-Jun-20
Marvin,

scary stuff. I'm hoping for the best for you guys.

We had a fire get really close to my family while I was in AK last summer. My wife and daughters got out with nothing but the clothes on their back and the heroes with the CDF bombed the car with fire retardant as they drove out with fire and sparks landing all around them. It's amazing how fast it happens. They saw smoke and she called me and I told her to get out and they barely made it out. They bombed a line along my house and saved it - the line came 200 yards from our home. We're so thankful.

It's scary. We choose to live outside the cities and trade the craziness that's going on now for seasonal fires. White knuckles till November.

26-Jun-20
Ambush that might be necessary. Is "burn-out" taken?

26-Jun-20
I don’t know, Person-formally- known as Fuzzy, but I’m pretty sure that Ashhole is open.

26-Jun-20
lol..ashole is great. I actually changed my Leatherwall handle to "The Artist Formerly Known as Fuzzy" years ago for awhile. I changed it back because only "the artist formerly" showed up on posts. Kinda lost the "Prince panache...

26-Jun-20
Haha! So Archer Whose Name is now an Unpronounceable Symbol, is out too.

26-Jun-20
lmao

26-Jun-20
Anyone get a CC hit of $45, instead of $58, which is amount in regs?

26-Jun-20
It dawned on me that the additional $13 was charged at app time.

26-Jun-20
Congratulations Mr. King. What do you think you drew?

26-Jun-20
StickFlicker, sent you a PM

27-Jun-20
Rumor on the street is that Marvin AKA "Stickflicker" has drawn another strip mule deer tag to go along with his unit 9 early archery bull hunt. Marvin has a very busy next 3 months. Congratulations!

27-Jun-20
Atta baby...Congrats!

27-Jun-20
Marvin is the man! I am confident we will see some impressive stories and pictures!!

29-Jun-20
Card shows hit for $300. Looks like I've got a Kaibab archery deer tag. If the fires weren't enough, now both our governor and my job have placed travel restrictions due to the Covid spikes.

29-Jun-20
Apparently, seven NR points was not enough to land a Kaibab tag. No pending charges here.

01-Jul-20
Guess I spoke too soon! Pending charge showed up this morning...July 1st. Very strange, but I'll take it.

02-Jul-20
Draw results are now available.

• Sitka Gear