WHOCARES 18-Jun-20
bowhunter55 18-Jun-20
BigStriper 18-Jun-20
lewis 18-Jun-20
Whocares 18-Jun-20
Empty Freezer 18-Jun-20
Rut Nut 18-Jun-20
17-Jun-20
Biked in to a trail cam one mile 11 days ago. Had to walk a a couple hundred yards because of swamp. 38 ticks, total time away from vehicle about 30 minutes.

Repeated same route today 11 days later. I had a trail cam issue so I needed to go back. Grass a little higher but this time I used my attack pants that I had sprayed with permethrin, as well as hiking boots likewise. 3 ticks. Grass was knee height while riding. Thought it was an interesting comparison. Won’t go back till season starts. But the buck I was chasing still lives :)

17-Jun-20
Heavy rack. Nice deer.

We use permethrin on all our bio surveys. The stuff works.

17-Jun-20
I used it a lot when I was younger. I always had this nagging thought in my mind that if it was so bad for the ticks, what is it doing to me long term? Maybe I was just a little paranoid, but am considering going back to spraying my clothing before turkey season as plucking 30+ ticks per off per outing is risky as well. I know when I used it 30+ years ago it worked like nothing else would.

17-Jun-20
Been using it for a number of years. In the woods almost everyday. Spray my pants and boots every week or two. Definitely works. Deep in the woods for several hours today. No ticks. Was over 90 so wasn't the greatest day out there!

17-Jun-20
Usually only get them a few hours east when turkey hunting. My wife found one on my sons scalp today. We were walking through some thick stuff along a lake fishing last night. Need to dig out the Permathrin.

17-Jun-20
We don’t have a lot of tick issues where I live but we do get a lot of biting flies and mosquitoes In the summers. Hate using DEET as it eats/melts plastic - fly lines, raft, steering wheel, glasses, etc.

Does permethrin treatment keep the flying biters away as well?

How about chiggers?

18-Jun-20
I use Sawyers Permethrin on all my clothes and nothing else that I have used worked so well. It's sold at Wallyworld so it is easy to find. I even bought a half dozen bottles last year at end on season for half price.

18-Jun-20
Doesn't seem to do anything for the deer flies and horse flies. They go for your head or bare arms and you can't use permethrin on your skin. Only on your clothes.

18-Jun-20

Grubby's Link
The ticks have been horrible here this year. That stuff works great l. I spray my tent down too. The best thing for the biting flies are these sticky patches , they work.

18-Jun-20
I’m going to have to get some of those for the deer flies!

18-Jun-20
I buy it at TSC and mix up my own spray! I would rather drink permethrin and take my chances than deal with all the tick borne diseases out there.

18-Jun-20
I know it kills ants

18-Jun-20
I get a can or 2 of it every year. Spray the hunting clothes before Spring Gobbler and then again in the fall. Works wonders on those little nasties! ;-)

18-Jun-20
Permithrin for sure. Love that stuff. I'm confident it's not good for me, but neither is Powasson, or Lyme etc. Definitely works.

18-Jun-20
Strips are called Deer Fly Patches. Sold in the stores here and on line. I buy several packets of 10 couple times a year. Mainly for the deer flies that like the back of your head. When they are thick like yesterday in the woods I put two on the back of my cap. Filled em up in three hours yesterday! But you don't even think about them. No more swinging or swatting at the back of your head like the good old days!

18-Jun-20
I use Sawyers Permethrin religiously on my clothes before going into the woods to scout or set/check my trail cams. Spray the crap out of them the night before I go out. The stuff works great. I use it mostly summer and early fall.

18-Jun-20
What about if you are walking trails in the woods during summer and wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts,will it help if you just spray your shoes.

Kurt

18-Jun-20

lewis's embedded Photo
lewis's embedded Photo
Here is what I use and have been doing it for over 2O years.8 ounces to a gallon of water in a pressure sprayer lay the clothing down to be treated and spray them down flip over and repeat.Hang them up let completely dry and I’m good for the year.They will be good after many washings,We live in a very high populated tick area and where we hunt in Mo.ia really bad.Works great for us Good luck Lewis

18-Jun-20
It should be applied to boots too. If you're walking nice groomed trails half dressed probably won't run into ticks. Get in the tall grass, brush, etc where the ticks are and you'll find out. Might even get a scratch on those legs!

18-Jun-20
Gotta have it if you hunt in So Cal as well. I spray everything. Them ticks are the perfectly designed to suck blood, i'm surprised anything works against them.

18-Jun-20
I also spray my boots and socks in the summer if not wearing hunting pants.

• Sitka Gear