Dirtman 23-Jun-20
FORESTBOWS 23-Jun-20
wytex 23-Jun-20
Dirtman 23-Jun-20
Dirtman 23-Jun-20
PECO 24-Jun-20
Rut Nut 24-Jun-20
19-Jun-20
I’m taking my family to Colorado in August. My boys are 11&10. We did Estes, pikes peak, and Sand Dunes/ Zappata falls 3 years ago. This year we will be staying at a condo in Silverthorne for 3 days and looking for another spot for the final 3 ( wife wants to rent a Yurt) possibly down by the dunes again. Looking for great hikes, Spots to try fishing, or out of the way places to enjoy. Any advice would be appreciated!

19-Jun-20
Have some buddies that have yurts near Leadville. Really cool area up at treeline. Lots of stream fishing that’s good that time of year- just need a fly box full of hopper patterns and a couple of hares ears and pheasant tails for hopper-dropper and will catch fish anywhere...

19-Jun-20
Probably should have said we’re looking to fish with spinners. I’ve got very little fly fishing experience and the kids have none. I have thrown flies with my spinning rod successfully on an Wyoming elk hunt!

19-Jun-20

tobywon's embedded Photo
Here’s an example in Silverthorne so you can see a bit of what the app gives you.
tobywon's embedded Photo
Here’s an example in Silverthorne so you can see a bit of what the app gives you.
Can’t give you much on specifics for that area but download the AllTrails app on your phone. It’s a pretty good and helpful app to find good hiking trails in any area. They even rate them so you can pick an easy hike one day or moderate / harder the next. Good luck and enjoy your trip. I’ll be in Yellowstone/ Tetons in Aug with my kids if all goes well with Covid and travel

19-Jun-20
Glenwood Springs is fun for a couple of days. Great downtown, nice hot springs, and the park at the top of the tram is a fun way to fill a day.

19-Jun-20
And just East of Glenwood you can climb to that hanging lake, Bridal Veil Falls or something like that. Pretty neat.

19-Jun-20
The alpine slides at Winter Park might be something your boys would like.

19-Jun-20
Georgetown narrow gauge train is on the way up.

20-Jun-20
Medano Pass Primitive Trail Medano Pass Jeep Trail Medano Creek fishing This is by Sand dunes and if you have 4 wheel drive its a great trip. Google and see what you think.

20-Jun-20
I forgot if you want to hike you can hike to Medano Lake for cutthroat trout.

20-Jun-20
If you check Leadville out and like Mexican food, go to Casa Blanca's. Easy spin fishing for the boys just south of Leadville at a nice pond on right hand side of the road. Its artificial lures/flies only. There is another pond a little further on left hand side, but it's more of a bobber and powerbait pond for kids.

The Arkansas south of Salida always looked nice with pretty good access along the highway.

20-Jun-20
As Hobbes said, the Arkansaw between Salida and Cannon City is a fun stretch. Fishing, zip lines, helicopter rides, rafting. You can also tour the old prison in Cannon. Not far from the dunes either.

20-Jun-20
OK...I’m just going to ask! What’s a Yurt?

20-Jun-20
Yurt is a hippie house.

20-Jun-20
Google is your friend, but short answer is a portable dome tent /building.

20-Jun-20
I can put you in one of our summer camps on the flatops north of Glenwood springs.

20-Jun-20
Forrest’s offer would definitely be a treat! 3 days in the wilderness! Those boys would be in heaven!

20-Jun-20
Have you considered spending 3 days in the San Juans? Rent a Razor and drive from Lake City to Ouray over Imogene pass. Boys will love that.

21-Jun-20
Look at pictures of Telluride and Ophir in SW CO. Specifically the waterfalls. It's gorgeous down there.

21-Jun-20
Bit of a haul from Silverthorne down to SW Colorado, but the San Juan’s are the prettiest part of the state. Great drive down there as well.

Should be plenty of fish to catch about anywhere in the streams. Spinners always seem to work, especially on creek browns and brookies.

21-Jun-20
Not what you're looking for, but if your kids are into dinosaurs, check out Skyline Dr in Canon City I think. Pretty cool spot where sediment filled dinosaur tracks and turned to rock. The lower layer eventually eroded away leaving a cast of the tracks.

Also, out on the plains a little ways is the dinosaur trackway in a river bed. Really cool area with criss-crossing tracks of both herbivores and carnivores.

If you do make it to the SW, we really enjoyed Mesa Verde. My wife's a 5th grade teacher and it's the setting of a story in one of their English books. She really enjoyed seeing it in person.

Telluride was probably one of our favorite places in Co.

21-Jun-20
Quarter Circle Ranch, SE of Gunnison. The real deal.

23-Jun-20
Thanks everyone so far... looking into all the suggestions. Forest, I sent you a private message.

23-Jun-20
Thanks everyone so far... looking into all the suggestions. Forest, I sent you a private message.

23-Jun-20
Got it. Sent a few back.

23-Jun-20
Heck you've seen Colorado, bring them up to Wyoming. Saratoga would be a nice little town or Centennial.

23-Jun-20

23-Jun-20

24-Jun-20
Durango. It has the cliff dwellings nearby, and the steam engine narrow gauge to Silverton is a great time.

24-Jun-20
What's a Yurt? It is considered "glamping!" ;-)

• Sitka Gear