Dino 21-Jun-20
Arrowflinger 21-Jun-20
bb 21-Jun-20
krieger 22-Jun-20
x-man 24-Jun-20
Kurt 24-Jun-20
Grey Ghost 24-Jun-20
20-Jun-20
I’ve decided to pick up a thumb button again and really commit to trying to use it/incorporate more back tension in to my shot.

I’m one week in, and I would say I’m making progress. Some groups look amazing. Other.... not so much. I know I’ll be better for it after if I keep with it, it’s just frustrating at times.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take those of you who went down the same road to “get it” - I’ve got no intention of stopping, I just want to make sure I’m making progress at a some what decent pace so if I’m doing something wrong I can fix it. thanks!!

20-Jun-20
It took me a long time to get consistent using back tension on my thumb release. That said, I’m 2.5 years in and I still have to think about it. I’ve killed 2 elk and both times I punched so I’m not there yet. Haha

21-Jun-20
Get a resistance activated release like a Nock On Silverback, Carter Evolution, or Stan PerfeX. These are great for learning true back tension.

21-Jun-20
What Midwest said! To add on to that, follow Nock On archery with John Dudley! His teaching is excellent!

21-Jun-20
Like stated above, you need to learn how to use a back tension release first. It would be best if you could get someone to teach you how to shoot with it properly. Believe me it will be the best thing you have ever done to improve your shooting.

21-Jun-20
Do what mMidwest said.

The trick is to get your trigger finger out of the equation. be it thumb or index finger. learn with a release that forces you to use just back tension. It also forces you to get your form correct as it makes it very difficult to release when your front shoulder starts collapsing, etc. You should look up John Dudley on You tube. The information he provides is as good as it gets.

22-Jun-20
You can use a thumb button release as a hinge release, I think it's the best of both worlds. You can draw without worrying about release angle, as in a hinge, and it allows for proper surprise release shot execution, if used correctly.

I rotate the thumb knob all the way down, close to the release body, then set my thumb on the release body, next to the peg ( knob) , then rotate the release through the shot, like a hinge, works very well for me. Pulling with your last 2 fingers, or simply relaxing your first 2, will case the release to fire. I've checked it with all my bows via bare-shaft, and it's one of the cleanest release methods I've found.

24-Jun-20
It's important to note that... you should never be moving any part of your thumb independently from the rest of your hand.

24-Jun-20
I had worse target panic with a thumb release than I ever had with an index finger. What cured it was a back tension release as has been mentioned above. I first had a Scott hinge, and later got a Carter Evolution when they first hit the market. I like the Carter the best. I never hunted with it but shot it a bunch in the offseason for about a year.

After using the Evolution, I learned to shoot the Scott Itty Bitty Goose index finger release with back tension. I've combined that with getting a bow with a longer valley (no jumpy cams) and higher let-off and haven't had issues with target panic with the index finger release since. I still take the Carter Evolution out and shoot a few arrows a few times in the summer. Good luck!

24-Jun-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Get yourself one of these. It will either teach you proper back-tension form, or break your nose. ;-)

Matt

• Sitka Gear