timberdoodle 24-Jun-20
hdaman 25-Jun-20
wilbur 25-Jun-20
Lark Bunting 25-Jun-20
Padfoot 25-Jun-20
badlander 25-Jun-20
0hndycp 25-Jun-20
23-Jun-20
With a not so good left knee I'm thinking of using trekking poles for hiking will hunting, mainly for stability while going down hill or side hilling. Looking for your opinions on what to go with, I'm 6' 2" and around 205 so looking for fairly sturdy, light weight, telescoping poles that will help. Thanks

23-Jun-20

KSflatlander's Link
I have Mountainsmith carbonlites. I love the shock absorbers. Worked great for me backpacking and elk hunting.

23-Jun-20
If you want to go light, Costco has a decent set for like 30 bucks. I lost my expensive ones and bought those as a punishment for not being more careful. They’re excellent for the money. They don’t compare with 150 ones, but for 30 bucks they’re awesome.

23-Jun-20
Skin down a young pine or mesquite branch local to your hunting area. Can't beat it.

23-Jun-20
I'm 6'2" also. I use a cheap ski pole I got a garage sale for a couple of bucks....very light and very sturdy. It was a lifesaver in list year's antelope hunt humping up, down and sideways along hills, ridges and ravines all day.

23-Jun-20
Montem

23-Jun-20

squid's Link
My wife and I hike every weekend give or take 10 miles on a day. I started using trekking poles about 10 years ago for both our hiking and hunting and will not leave home without them. I have an expensive pair of carbon diamondbacks, but prefer the lightweight aluminum ones I picked up on amazon for less than 40 bucks. I've got over 1000 miles on a set in a few years and they are still going strong.

23-Jun-20
I had four different kinds over the last ten years or so. My current favorite is the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork. They are relatively light but sturdy and adjustable. Work great for heavy pack outs down hill.

23-Jun-20
I’ve used a set of Leki Cork-Lite’s for several years with zero complaints. I don’t hunt with them, but for packing they’re a Godsend!!

24-Jun-20
No comment on specific brands, I've used Black Diamond, some French brand I got from Steep n Cheap, and now I use a pair I bought on amazon called Trail Buddy and I like them.

My biggest comment would be pay attention to the material. Carbon vs aluminum. Aluminum has proven to be much more sturdy for me, carbon not so much. I ate it coming down a steep slope on a deer hunt last fall and when my carbon pole smacked a rock it split in half. Aluminum wouldn't have done that, but may have bent. The downfall with aluminum is they make a loud "clink" if they bang together, carbon won't do that.

Just some food for thought...

24-Jun-20
If you have an REI nearby, go there and check them out. There may even be someone working there that knows a lot about them. Then shop around for the ones you like. I have Leki, I like them but there are many good brands.

24-Jun-20
Ive done the somewhat always available 'stick', but now a trekking pole is always in my pack. Total game changer. Plus, Ive never found a telescoping 'stick'.

Over the past weekend, I went on a 4 mi hike thru one of my elk areas. Plenty of beetle killed down timber, stream crossings, etc. Sure is nice to have 2 points on contact on the ground at all times, when climbing over a deadfall, that extra stability is definitely worth it.

In steep terrain, its a must.

24-Jun-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

24-Jun-20
Walmart aluminums- probably on par with the Costcos. Been using mine for years.

cnelk- not sure if you know it or not, but you have an elk antler growing out of your back! ;-)

24-Jun-20
The only input that I would like to offer is to recommend that you get a pair that have clips instead of rings. I also seem to have had better luck with poles that were oval instead of round.

24-Jun-20

76aggie's embedded Photo
76aggie's embedded Photo
I have a pair of Leki poles as well. My son-in-law gave them to me last year when we hunted the Brooks Range. He was in the 10th Mountain Div. and uses them religiously. I figured he should know a thing or two about them. Collapsible and light weight. I generally only use one.

24-Jun-20
Have three sets of Leki. I may as well be blind on the mountain without them. I honestly can’t imagine not having them with me.

24-Jun-20
Black Diamond good luck Lewis

24-Jun-20
Great info guys, thanks a bunch, this gives me plenty to look into

24-Jun-20
For anyone who uses poles and will be sitting around a backpack camp or while glassing, etc., check out the Mountainsmith Slingback.

24-Jun-20
My suggestion is get on REI.com and look at their clearance stuff, look at weight comparisons and buy the best ones in your price point. And buy a set of rubber tips if the ones you but don't come with them. Brand I've been using is Komperdel or something similar to that, came remember now.

24-Jun-20
Black diamond trail shock pro. I've had sticks with and without the shock, and much prefer the shock.

25-Jun-20
Black diamond has a set of aluminum poles for $28 today. May be worth a look.

25-Jun-20
Sierra Trading Post usually has good deals on Trekking poles.

25-Jun-20

Lark Bunting's Link
I really like my Black Diamond Distance Carbon FLZ, but they are not telescoping. They are light weight and have been very solid for me. I used two different off-brand telescoping sets before this, one with shock, one without. I prefer the BD's by a long shot, especially how small they are when folded up compared to the length of the telescoping poles. I also like that the BD's have variable height adjustment (side-hilling) and they were available in different lengths so you can match your height to the poles needed.

25-Jun-20
I suggest getting the clasp pole lock rather than the screw compression lock, assuming they still offer that style. Reason for that is the screw action gets dusty and starts slipping. The clasp lock is better. For the money I haven’t found a better pole than the Costco poles.

25-Jun-20
I've got a set of REI FLASH carbon poles that I really like, very light, strong. if you're tall, these are the tallest ones that I've found going to 140cm instead of 135cm like many. Typically, I keep them collapsed in my pack and don't break them out until I'm packing weight but if my bow/rifle is strapped to my pack I have them out. On steep terrain they make a big difference.

25-Jun-20
Sissy Stix are the bomb! They saved from a fall many times, and total game changer packing heavy loads!

• Sitka Gear