HDE 25-Jun-20
APauls 25-Jun-20
fubar racin 25-Jun-20
Coyote 65 26-Jun-20
bowbender77 28-Jun-20
Coyote 65 29-Jun-20
bowbender77 29-Jun-20
23-Jun-20
Is it just me or does anyone else question the popular/celebrity hunters that seem do draw the toughest of tags? I have nothing to base this on other than suspicion. From the real tree guys to the epic out doors guys the list goes on and on. It’s just seems surprising that so many well known hunters draw such a small percentage of tags..

23-Jun-20
Thiers a lot of those guys that put thier name in the hat for 100 different hunts every year with all the raffle tags included. The percentages are for the person that puts in that much over a sustained period. The epic crew, mostly carter had the luxury of having a forward thinking dad that got him started in the tag game early and before the explosion of western hunters the last 10 years. Thiers lots of regular guys that draw a lot of good tags too

23-Jun-20
Auction tags.

23-Jun-20
Landowner, auction, outfitter sponsored, CWMU, and many other ways to get ahold of phenomenal permits with adequate funds!

23-Jun-20
I thought Utah's "Once in a lifetime" tags were one and done, forever...

24-Jun-20
WSF chapters raffle sheep hunts off every year. 500 tags at $100. Each. I put in for a tile elk raffle last year.. every year ABA puts out raffles that are just to hot to pass up.

24-Jun-20
“Once in a lifetime” only applies to the draw.

Not expo or raffle or auction etc.. As mentioned you can buy anything with money...

24-Jun-20
The don't draw they buy. Look at Ham Haynes. All he does anymore is hunt private ranches, CWMUs and Indian reservations. I personally don't view these guys as real hunters just TV, social media actors. I'd much rather watch Nate Simmons hunt a general tag wilderness area on his own than watch these guys fly in and hunt farm animals or tags they bought that the regular guy will never draw.

24-Jun-20
Elkocd, totally agree with you on Cam Haynes. I live near his home town of Eugene. He made his name DYI back country hunting. I read everything he wrote and waited for more. What a disappointment he has become. I also love what Nate Simmons is doing, even subscribe to his website just to show a little support.

24-Jun-20
You can get lucky sometimes,my daughter and I both drew OIL oryx tags in NM first time applying and I drew a statewide moose tag for 100.00 worth of raffle tickets

24-Jun-20
I don’t get the hate for Cam and how he hunts now. I don’t necessarily love the guy but he grinded it out just like anybody else and made a name for himself. Envy is an ugly look.

24-Jun-20
If I got the option to hunt untouched private every year for giant bulls. I'd sure as hell do it. I don't blame Hanes at all. He still hunts public with his kids.

24-Jun-20
I wouldn't say its just you since we have had this discussion in the past. When NVAGVUP drew a CA sheep tag lots of guys jumped to the same conclusion, that there was some funny business going on. I just don't see how or why these State Departments would even bother with that. You would assume these programs are audited but I don't know. With no facts to base it on it reeks of envy and jealousy. Trust me I'm a nobody and I've drawn way more than my fair share of good tags, by staying informed and persistent.

24-Jun-20
Cam Hanes

24-Jun-20
Yooper, I'm not envious of Cam. I have plenty of money to hunt when and where I choose now. I respected what Cam did when he became popular as a back country hunter. I liked his attitude and style. He changed or never was that guy. Ghost stalker thanks for the correction.

24-Jun-20
smurph no worries. I just figured if you guys are going to hate on the guy you should at least get his name correct

25-Jun-20
A hunter I have known for years is Ca f and w computer tech guy. He can’t get drawn. If he can’t with his knowledge of the system it just can’t be done. California’s three toughest tags to draw are sheep, antelope and elk. I got each one in three consecutive years. Crazy things happen.

25-Jun-20
Just throwing it out that if Simmons is filming in Wilderness it’s possible but unlikely it’s legal, possibility that Wilderness isn’t actually what elkocd meant also.

25-Jun-20
Well my wife sure thinks I get a once in a lifetime tag every year! One day the line will wear itself thin, but until then - if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

25-Jun-20
Usually wilderness means no wheeled or mechanized vehicles. Cameras are OK. Need a USFS or BLM permit though if for commercial production.

25-Jun-20
Well my wife sure thinks I get a once in a lifetime tag every year! One day the line will wear itself thin, but until then - if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

25-Jun-20
Yes I know, what I meant was that it’s really tough to get the film permit for wilderness areas.

26-Jun-20
I have gotten a once in a lifetime hunt in AZ twice. Unit 23 N. First time, had never hunted elk, had never put in for elk before and drew. 1992. Second time was 2017 same tag. First time I missed out on several opportunities and took a spike I called in on the last evening of the hunt. 2nd opportunity lasted a couple of hours with Steven Ward guiding. 360 bull.

So you may get more than one chance at a life time hunt. And you may get a once in a life time hunt on your first try, I did.

Terry

28-Jun-20
Terry: Elk is not a once in a lifetime hunt in Arizona, FYI.

29-Jun-20
It is if you are a nonresident and you only put in for the good tags.

Terry

29-Jun-20
Not true. The only "O.I.L." tags in the Arizona tag system are Desert Bighorn, Rocky Mt. Bighorn & Buffalo

• Sitka Gear