pirogue 27-Jun-20
pirogue 27-Jun-20
GDx 27-Jun-20
turkeyhunter60 28-Jun-20
BOHUNTER09 28-Jun-20
Bou'bound 28-Jun-20
Highlife 28-Jun-20
24-Jun-20
Just getting a new bow set up. I have always had the peep with a rubber tube tied to the cable. Was curious why everyone I come across hates them? I see a lot people twisting their string before every shot to get the peep lined up. The old rubber tube has never failed to have my peep lined up on every shot.

24-Jun-20
They will brake eventually and maybe hit you in the eye...they slow your string down and a good bow string after settling in should not need a peep adjustment.

24-Jun-20
What bowhunter said. You haven’t lived till the tubing snaps at full draw and pops you in the cheek/eye. Once it happens, you won’t need to wonder why most people no longer use them.

24-Jun-20
X3

25-Jun-20
X4

25-Jun-20
Put new rubber on that’s just long enough and you’ll be fine. You can also spend $100 on new strings that should fix it but might not. I don’t know anybody using the rubber anymore but it worked and will work.

25-Jun-20
It works. Use it if you like it, but just watch it for stretch and cracking. Anything you take care of is less likely to fail.

I have a buddy who argued that they're better and he always used them.. Until it started cracking and broke during a hunt. He doesn't use them anymore..

I'd rather twist my string than not have a working peep.

Before I got a new string on my current bow. I had to twist the string every three shots. It became part of my shot routine. Haha! But I let the string get a little too far gone.

Felt weird not having to do it with the new string.

25-Jun-20
Noisier, heavier, dangerous if it fails, and unnecessary unless you have other issues with your set up you are covering for (string twist, quality, etc.). It is a bandaid. Like any issue if you need a bandaid use a bandaid. Bandaids have a purpose. When something is not right it gets a bandaid.

If your set up is functioning well and operating the way a quality tuned system can operate with today's equipment and technology you don’t need a bandaid and the price paid for needing it.......

I used one for years until i did not need it anymore.

THere is no advantage to a properly set up rubber system over a properly set up rubberless system. There is an advantage of a rubber set up over a suboptimal rubberless set up

25-Jun-20
I replace mine every season as well as a replacement in my pack. It works for me see no reason to change now.

25-Jun-20
Count me in on the rubber peep. The material isn't the same as what guys were using in the 80's & 90's and you should get a year out of them prior to changing easy Every time I tell myself I'm going to switch, I run into a guy with a twisted peep. In saying that, it does increase noise but I'm fine with it. Believe it or not, the late Bigdan who owned an archery shop still used a tube so you're not alone. I'm a product of the 90's, using rubber goes with the territory.

25-Jun-20
I change mine every year!

25-Jun-20
I've only been bowhunting for 31 years. (got started late) I have always used a peep with a rubber tube. You can usually tell when the tube is ready for replacement. I replace mine when I get close to season opener. Never had an issue while hunting. Never had one hit me when they break while practicing.

I also use a kisser and hook on to the string. I do Not use a loop.

Works for me, why change? Also used Thunderheads forever. Get a kick out of guys at shoots or on some ranges that offer unsolicited advice. "What you need is...."

As long as you keep your equipment in good shape, it will serve you well. No reason to change every time a new product comes out. All but one of my 31 years bow hunting, I have shot a deer. Usually shoot more than one. Pretty confident I will shoot one this year as well, with a rubber tube and peep.

25-Jun-20
Because they’re unnecessary. Do you guys ride your bicycles with training wheels? If no, why? Because they’re unnecessary!

25-Jun-20
I remember using the rubber tubing. That’s Back when I walked out to the back 40 and climbed into a tree stand.

No way would a piece of tube last a day in the elk woods I hunt.

25-Jun-20
Come on, it would last. It lasted on sheep hunts, 2 goat hunts, Alaska hunts on Prince of Wales, WY hunts in the dreaded blowdowns, and my yearly oak brush infested elk hunts and it will last this year just the same on a moose hunt.

Its no more fragile than all these drop away rests being used and alot more field repair friendly.

25-Jun-20
Sure it'll last.... until it dont.

Sorry. Not for me

25-Jun-20
I absolutely hated the rubber tube nonsense. There's few things as unnerving as having a stretched rubber tube an inch from your eyeball. No thanks. I've never had a problem training a string to rotate my peep properly.

Matt

25-Jun-20
C’mon you guys know it’s always more fun without the....it’s a kids site...it’s a kids site....need to keep reminding myself.

25-Jun-20
THESE ARE STILL AROUND? lol jk, but ya, I remember using rubber tubing. Back when I'd sit in a tree stand and pace off markers into a crop field and jam sticks into the ground at 20,30,40 yards so I could see how far a deer was.

I've come to full draw with a twisted peep and the rubber snapped on a big deer, and let's just say I'd prefer a hole in the latex to this kind of rubber snap! Brotsky knows what's up! (literally)

As soon as I realized a bow could be set up without having a material crucial to my shot that has a definite life span, and could be sometimes delicate I got out of that game for good.

25-Jun-20
I refuse to be rubber shamed ;)

25-Jun-20
They serve a purpose but I'll pay extra for good strings and not have to deal with the dry rotted tubing and the extra noise they make.

25-Jun-20
No need for one, if the bow is set up right and tuned right the peep will come back to line up perfectly. Always been that way. Started shooting with a peep around 1980 and never used the rubber tubing. Todays string material has virtually no stretch so after a couple hundred shots you can set your peep and not worry about it. Shawn

25-Jun-20
Good strings and a strip loop and you’ll never need that rubber again. Always shocked seeing people with them anymore.

As to the comment about fixing drop away rests in the field, a limb driver is about as simple as they come other than a stick on flipper orWhisker bisket. Literally seconds to set up and tune.

26-Jun-20

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Exactly bird dog and a tip that I picked up on this site years ago was to leave a tail on the D Loop material and serve it flat to the string so that rotation will never happen with the D Loop and you will always have a perfectly aligned peep at full draw

26-Jun-20
I don't shoot a rubber tube anymore. When I did, I shot the kind that connected to the plastic stob that was stuck to the upper bow limb with an adhesive. Once that adhesive failed, that plastic piece hammered me in the eye. I was on an archery range shooting with some other folks outdoors. I don't know how I managed to not launch my arrow into the wild blue.

After it popped me in the eye I ended up using some electric tape to wrap around the limb and that plastic stob thingy. The electric tape has some elasticity to it and I never had that happen again. I'll never forget that moment. It was insanely painful. But didn't hurt for more than a few minutes.

26-Jun-20
Bou. I really like that idea. I have never seen that done before. Heading to the bow shop this weekend. I will have them put a new d-loop on and do that.

26-Jun-20
Bou - do you leave the tag end and serve on top or bottom?

27-Jun-20

Native Okie's embedded Photo
Native Okie's embedded Photo
rubber tubes will no longer be needed on compound bows....in the year 2000.

27-Jun-20
Not needed with a quality string. But if it makes you more confident then do it.

Speed decrease is negligible and replace it yearly before it fails and you're good to go

27-Jun-20
Joe it does not matter

when served it is not turning on the string regardless

27-Jun-20
I saw a rubber tube on a recent picture of Pete Shepley’s bow. I was surprised by that.

27-Jun-20
Pse strings are no good he needed it

27-Jun-20
Quality strings don’t twist and don’t need a tube.

27-Jun-20
Quality strings don’t twist and don’t need a tube. And even if they turned slightly, a properly served D Loop would always bring it back in line.

27-Jun-20

GDx's embedded Photo
GDx's embedded Photo
elk & deer killing machine. purchased in 2000. rubber turbo tube.

28-Jun-20
I've used a rubber tubing since the mid 1980s with no problems...I think silicone tubing is better, last longer.....Just inspect them periodically , like everything else on your bow...As far as breaking and hurting your eye, hogwash never heard of anybody having that happen..It's far Better than screwing around with strings all the time..I never have to worry about that..

28-Jun-20
One of the guys in my archery club in the 90’s had a broken tubing hit him in the eye. Had to have surgery to repair the damage.

28-Jun-20
if you can't keep a peep aligned you have string issues that may cause other issues with the tuning and rigging stability that can't be remedied with a rubber hose. the hose deals with the symptom not the problem nor does it solve all the other issues.

28-Jun-20
Bulls%$#t

• Sitka Gear