Ranger6 29-Jun-20
Firsty 30-Jun-20
Bill in MI 30-Jun-20
Iowabowhunter 07-Jul-20
Zim 07-Jul-20
12yards 07-Jul-20
BadlandsRoger 07-Jul-20
27-Jun-20
Total WD Deer Entries 598 WI - 108. 18.1% IL - 47. 7.9% OH - 43. 7.2% MN - 34. 5.7% KS - 31. 5.2% IA. - 22. 3.7% MO. - 20 3.3%. SD - 13. 2.2% NE - 10. 1.7% So, this has been bugging me for quite a while. All the Bowsite talk; Iowa this, Iowa that, points here, points there ad absurdum. In the most recent issue of the P&Y Ethic, I looked at the total number of Typical WD entries (598) and then counted the number of entries by the captioned states. You’ll note that WI leads by a huge margin (108) - over double of the next two closest states (47&43) and FIVE TIMES more than Iowa (22). Now I’ll admit this is not a scientific study and my fat fingers may have made an error or two, but the relationships of the numbers won’t change much if at all. And it doth make one wonder, who’s making the koolaid?

27-Jun-20
Lots of animals are never entered in P&Y. But what matters more is number of entries relative to hunter numbers. How many bowhunters in WI vs. IA?

27-Jun-20
Well how many bow hunters are in Wisconsin vs Iowa? How many total deer live in WI vs IA? I would also argue that there is more awareness and interest in the P&Y club in Wisconsin. Both states are pretty darn good.

27-Jun-20
If 5% of eligible deer are entered I would be amazed

27-Jun-20
Now you just need to calculate the average score of the bucks taken in each state to see if that doesn't better explain it. I don't think most guys go to IA for a chance to shoot a 125" deer.

27-Jun-20
Thier are guys in Iowa that have pretty impressive kills every year in Iowa that never get registered. Also the number of top end deer (180+) in Iowa per capita is definitely greater. I own ground in wis and the pressure at home compared to iowa is no comparison. My 16 year old and I have tags in Iowa this fall and can’t wait to get down thier again

27-Jun-20
Every post I’ve ever seen from the nameless one from Iowa, “gobble50” has been an attempt to discourage NR from hunting Iowa. I really don’t think it will work.

Year in and year out Wisconsin has had the highest number of entries. There is an online database on the P&Y website that has all the info.

27-Jun-20
Lol, yep I'll never apply again to Iowa after reading this shocking info ;-)

27-Jun-20
1. How many Iowa residents go hunt deer in Wisconsin?

2. How many Wisconsin resident build points in Iowa for a hunt every few years?

I don’t know of many (or any for that matter) Iowa residents that go hunt white tails in Wisconsin.

That should tell you about all you need to know.

27-Jun-20
Never entered an animal and I am sure I have several that would qualify. I do a lot of research, I still chose Iowa. Shawn

27-Jun-20
I’m not trying to discourage NR Iowa hunters - I have my own ground & I don’t care where anyone hunts - these were merely statistical observations and in fact, I know (myself included) many who have hunted WI a number of times. > and I agree what isn’t quantifiable: the number of book animals not recorded And in the last issue, of the top 50 highest scoring bucks [155-186] - (3) were from Iowa All I’m saying, for anyone wanting a chance at a really nice buck, there are lots of good places to choose from; Iowa is among those choices but there are others equally as good that don’t have the TV hype. Just food for thought.

27-Jun-20
Old school- answer to questions #1- not many. Answer to question #2- too many.

Not gonna hijack this thread but when guys come on and say they don’t have animals measured it rubs me a little wrong. Score and animal info is collected for statistics to validate the effectiveness of archery equipment and to financially support the pope and young club- the only national organization protecting your bow hunting rights. Everyone should consider this when lucky enough to kill a good deer. Please don’t be part of the problem-support the club!!!!!

27-Jun-20
WI Shedhead - yep. I’ve got relatives in both states. Never heard the ones from Iowa wanting to go hunt Wisconsin. But the ones from Wisconsin talk about hunting Iowa deer. I would though like to go hunt in northern Wisconsin once - just for the big north woods atmosphere.

27-Jun-20
Wolves and bait piles and not many deer. Did it back in the mid nineties when none of the three were prevalent and it was a blast

27-Jun-20
Don’t like either of those present when deer hunting. Wondered how bad it would be with wolves.

27-Jun-20
I have buddies in Iowa with trophy rooms that you wouldn't believe,ask the "score" they have no idea.

27-Jun-20
If I post a picture of my 2 buddy from Iowa you guys wouldn’t believe how many P&Y they killed Non of them are on the book

27-Jun-20

4nolz@work's embedded Photo
4nolz@work's embedded Photo

28-Jun-20
please don't wait to kill a book animal to help the club financially.

I know that is why most hunters enter game, but you can send in the same $35 that you would have with an animal anytime and the club actually would benefit MORE since they have no administrative, certificate printing, or postage costs to offset against your donation. In fact, you could pay it forward and just send in $350 this afternoon and it would be the same as registering 10 trophies. The club needs the help and will put it do good use. They should not have to wait until you kill a big one to get a much needed contribution.

28-Jun-20
Sorry Shedhead collecting data to show kill and rates and such is one thing. Scoring an animal has nothing to do with that, all agencies need to know buck or doe or fawn and how many. Age possibly, score Nope. I actually have a close friend who is an official P&Y scorer and has scored a bunch of my whitetails. I just choose not to enter any. I always say when I kill a 200"er I will enter it. Shawn

28-Jun-20
If 5% of eligible deer are entered I would be amazed

28-Jun-20
The one year I hunted Iowa I gave myself a 150" minimum. I saw 4-5 bucks that were probably 140"-145" and many smaller. I probably under judged one that was 160" but that's life. I enjoyed seeing the quality of deer and wasn't concerned if I punched a tag. I would hunt Iowa anyday after a 4 year wait rather than Wisconsin every year. P+Y entries mean nothing in my decision.

29-Jun-20
In iowa 30 years never entered a deer. Never scored any of my own. Don't know of any friends that enter. I am sure that some have

29-Jun-20
I encourage everyone to become a member of the P&Y regardless of whether you choose to enter an animal or not. Don’t get hung up on the small stuff. The bigger picture is the anti’s are trying non-stop to take away your bowhunting privilege.

The P&Y Club is so much more than a records organization. Conservation and education are a big part of the Club’s mission. Join the club. There’s strength in numbers.

29-Jun-20
The statistics that area kept are far more than score and sex of harvest. They are equipment, shot distance etc. Shawn if your scorer friend was a better salesman he would have explained this too you and you would see the relevance of this. Whether you enter anything or not- support the pope and young club, your state organization, or the iowa bow hunters. The IBA was the one who lobbied on your behalf in the early 90s to let NRs hunt iowa because thier members were getting shut out of other states

29-Jun-20
I support several bowhunter orgs. Again game departments who end up setting the regs could care less about scores. Shawn

29-Jun-20
Iowa is really that good. I have hunted it two times and killed mature bucks both years and saw a legit 200 inch buck in 2011. It takes me four years to draw a tag but it is worth it. The only reason I will not buy hunting land in Iowa is that I still need to go through the lottery and only draw every four years. Genetics, no baiting, no guns during the rut are all contributing factors. I drew area four this year and I am already looking forward to it. Plenty of great places to hunt in our great nation but Iowa is special. Good luck stay safe and please don't hate the Non resident. I usually try to hunt at least three states every year I respect the land, the land owners and the laws. The nonresident hunter is not the enemy they contribute significant revenue to the states they hunt and are conservationists as well. I have met some great folks on my hunts across our nation and made great friends and memories along the way. Good Luck to all. Tom

30-Jun-20
No one from Iowa enters there 140" deer. A 140" from parts of Wi (Northern) is a monster.

30-Jun-20
Iowa is a waste of time. Apply elsewhere

07-Jul-20
I havent entered any of my 3 Iowa bucks. Maybe it's time? I'm all for supporting conservation efforts, and am part of quite a few groups.

Need to start saving the receipts for tax writeoffs

07-Jul-20
Used to post a lot about the subject back in the day. Found it a waste of time debating with idiots who had staunch opinions, yet admitted to never even hunting two, much less all the Midwest states like I have............for 25 years. That’s really the only way one can know the difference. And make no mistake there is a huuuuuge difference. No P&Y stat sheet is gonna do it. It's called deer management in the hands of professional wildlife managers in the DNR, not self proclaimed wildlife manager corrupt politicians of which 90% are snake-in-the-grass attorneys selling out to every special interest group that stuffs coin in their pockets. Latest case in point crossguns for the able bodied. That's what hunting has become in 2020.

07-Jul-20

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
I shot this one in IA in 2010. I think it'll gross in the 150s and net in the 130s. I never had it scored but always meant to. Just never got around to it. Maybe this winter.

07-Jul-20
I live in Omaha and have friends with acreage in IA so there's no question for me. I should draw next year or the year after.

• Sitka Gear