Jim Moore 03-Jul-20
Catscratch 03-Jul-20
butcherboy 03-Jul-20
APauls 04-Jul-20
Dale06 04-Jul-20
duvall 06-Jul-20
Aftermerle 18-Jul-20
27-Jun-20
My smoker is on it's last leg. It was an electric Bradley, with the pressed wood hockey pucks. It has been good, but it's falling apart. I think I want to do propane this time. New smoker should be metal construction and not just the dorm fridge type. What are your guy's and girl's recommendations and experiences?

27-Jun-20
I love my offset smoker. I usually use a mixture of charcoal and hardwood. I thought of buying a traeger style smoker they work great and are easy to use. Someday I might because you can throw your meat on and come back hours later and meat is ready. However I kind of feel like that is cheating. Part of the experience of smoking meat to me is controlling your fire so that it is not to hot and not to cold and if you do it all correctly when it time to eat you have something special!

27-Jun-20
I have a pellet smoker. It's not propane, it's not wood, and it is cheating.... but damn it makes some good food!

27-Jun-20
John I've never felt cheated not having to tend a fire especially during summer when it's 100 degrees in the shade. Pellet smokers/grills are the best! Pit Boss and Traeger will both work well. Some people think the Traeger is worth the extra money others disagree. If you want the best get a Yoder never regretted mine ( well maybe a little when I paid for it).

27-Jun-20
Mines a Green Mountain. Has wifi and can run off a cigarette lighter. Nice being able to take it anywhere.

27-Jun-20
Push I am not knocking the guys using the pellet smoker I said I may someday own one. It is just that I prefer the challenge of having to tend my fire. I will say I would do more of it with a pellet smoker. Just not sure I would enjoy as much as a fire when I have the time.

27-Jun-20
My electric Masterbuilt is amazing! No need for pellets just add a few moist wood chips. It's super clean, keeps temperature well, and is super easy to use. I've smoked hundreds of lbs of salmon and even halibut, wild turkeys, and big game.

27-Jun-20
There is something about tending a fire. With that said I'll smoke on my pellet smoker damn near every weekend. I real fire takes a big event or special occasion to get going.

27-Jun-20

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
I hear you john I still do some old fashioned smoking.

27-Jun-20
Cookshack AmeriQue model SM066 - about as good as it gets for an electric smoker - but very expensive. Also, you use chunks of wood, not pellets to smoke.

27-Jun-20
How do the pellet smokers control temperature? I also cheat with an electric Masterbuilt.

27-Jun-20
They have a temp sensor in the box. If the temp goes too low it augers more pellets into the burn pot, if too high it stops feeding pellets in.

27-Jun-20

DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
I bought a traeger pro 34 three years ago.

It's great, but it does feel like cheating. My only real complaint is I can not sear on the traeger. Only goes up to about 430 degrees.

After doing research I've talked the wife into getting a kamado Joe Classic 3.

I want to cook with real charcol and real wood.

No more pellets.

27-Jun-20
I got a really good deal on a camp chef pellet grill several years ago. It cooks/smokes stuff very easy (set it and forget it) but you don't get the "heavy" smoke flavor as much as other true smokers. I put an A-maze-n inside and that helps put more smoke on it.

I also bought a sear box that attaches to the side in place of the tray. It was a little pricey but well worth it for propane grilling/searing. I use it often for quick grilling.

27-Jun-20

Native Okie's embedded Photo
Native Okie's embedded Photo
Look at Yoder Smokers. Pricey but you can go direct flame and do burgers, steaks, etc. as well as indirect cook /smoke. I recently started reverse searing steaks on mine. Built like a tank too.

28-Jun-20
I recd a master built for fathers day. Looking forward to using it. Any quick tips to share??

28-Jun-20

Wan2bMountainman's embedded Photo
Wan2bMountainman's embedded Photo
I have the Yoder 640 also. I love it. I did have a quality control problem where one edge didn’t get sealed properly so fat was dripping down one of the legs. I Sent a email on a Saturday evening and got a reply from the owner Sunday morning. I live in Oklahoma and he had family that lives about 20 miles away so he brought me a new one on Monday when he made a trip to visit them. He also threw in some extras for my problem. Because of their excellent customer service i’ll never own anything different. Mine was a early model so I made some wheel mods to move it around easier. I have thought that a cheaper lighter weight traeger would be nice when it comes time to move it around, but i’ll stick with heavy and built to last from good people in Kansas.

28-Jun-20

The people at Yoder are amazing!

28-Jun-20
That’s amazing customer service! I just use a boring old $200 masterbuilt electric smoker. Probably not gonna win any Pitmaster ribbons but everyone devours my turkey, ribs, and Sausage so it’s good enough for me.

28-Jun-20
I have a Yoder Durango, love it for a stick smoker. I would go with the 640 if you want a pellet smoker. They are great to deal with.

28-Jun-20
Masterbuilt electric here too. Makes a great jerky dehydrator as well. Does all I need for a smoker.

28-Jun-20
Master built propane smoker here. Picked it up used for $50. I does great. Holds the temp real well and get great results. Mark

29-Jun-20
I had electric and/or gas for years. But, I just wasn't happy with the results. I went with an Oklahoma Joe offset several years ago and never looked back.

29-Jun-20

Rut Nut's Link
I used an electric barrel smoker for years. But in the winter it was hard to get it up to temp. So last year I went the vertical propane smoker route...……………………. Got a Dyna-Glo at Lowes on sale for $115. Almost identical to the Masterbuilt propane smoker. Easy to use, easy to clean, large capacity and comes up to temp fast and holds the heat!

29-Jun-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Here it is in action smoking baby backs...............

29-Jun-20

Rut Nut's Link
If you have a smartphone, one thing I would highly recommend (whatever smoker you get) is this- The Weber I-grill mini. It is Bluetooth thermometer that will show the temp of the meat and give you alerts when it gets close, and then when it hits the desired, preset temperature based on the type/cut of meat(or fish). I'm not a tech kinda guy, but I love this gadget...…………………...takes the guesswork out of it!

29-Jun-20
Huge fan of my Green Mountain Grill. (pellet smoker) The WIFI function is awesome, and the taste of that wood smoke is 2nd to none. It is cheating how easy it is, but my wife and I were talking about it just last night, how we expected a lot and she rolled her eyes when I talked about researching it, but in her words it's like "how did we eat before this?" In all honesty I thought we ate quite well, but this thing is awesome.

The reason I went with GMG over Traeger is it gets hotter. For steaks, burgers etc. And the wifi, and the build quality. Moose tenderloins tonight!

30-Jun-20
Pellet grille/smoker for me. Much easier for me to run.....especially when I am busy, but want to get something smoking.

30-Jun-20
I have the Traeger timberline 1300 and love it! Yes, it's easier than tending my little weber smokey joe but it's also more versatile. I've had it up to 500 degrees making pizzas so the temperature range isn't bad. I do still use a gas grill for quick cook items. Whatever you choose, nothing beats grilling with a nice beverage in hand!

30-Jun-20
I've been using a Masterbuilt Gravity 560 for a month now. Seems pretty good. Had a Masterbuilt electric before that.

30-Jun-20
If you are interested in pellet grills check out Smokin Brothers. Made in Missouri. Very heavy duty and great customer service. PM me if you want more info and maybe a Bowsite Discount could be arranged.

03-Jul-20
I have a Masterbuilt propane smoker and a Treager 34 smoker. The MB does great and uses wood chips. I do have a problem with the flame staying lit sometimes when it’s a bit breezy out. If I block the wind from getting underneath, she does good. Great for smoking lots at once. It is a dorm fridge type though. The Treager is the go to anymore. I bought an insulated blanket for it on eBay and it gets you another 50 degrees at least. Game changer for the winter months for sure. I can get about 480 degrees on it and it cooks a steak pretty good. If it wasn’t a gift, I was looking at the Camp Chef models. I heard those will go 500 degrees or better.

03-Jul-20
APauls, my wife is exactly the same. She is very glad that I have the GM smoker. She loves it as much as I do (even though she doesn't cook on it).

03-Jul-20
I’m looking at the new camp chef. It can smoke or use direct flame grilling. Also has a side burner that you can use a flat top griddle and do a quick sear. Or, buy a pizza oven separate and cook pizza with it.

04-Jul-20
GMG has also a pizza oven attachment will go to 800 degrees

04-Jul-20
My son has a Yoder. Not sure which model, but it turns out great food. He’s got beef and pork ribs, a roast and Mac n cheese on it now. Shortly I’m going to over eat, again.

06-Jul-20
I have a barrel smoker a bullet smoker and a pitboss vertical pellet. The pellet smoker gets used in the winter and if I have big meat to cook for noon time eating. Just set it and let it go all night. Can't beat the convenience but in my opinion it just doesn't produce as good smoked meat as my other two smoking over charcoal and wood chunks. I've tried every trick the internet gave me and it still doesn't produce the same smoky taste. It's very mild regardless if what pellets I use. But like I said it gets used exclusively for cold weather smoking because of the convenience. Another tip is think of the longest piece of meat you want to smoke and make sure the racks will handle it. Nothing more frustrating than having to cut the ends off your ribs or brisket because they hang over your racks.

18-Jul-20
I stopped in the Yoder factory a couple of weeks backs so as to lay hands on a "Loaded Wichita" (stick/charcoal). Notjing chesp abiut it, It's made of 1/4 inch steel. I now have one on the way. I can hardly wait to fire it up.

• Sitka Gear