wytex 01-Jul-20
deserthunter 01-Jul-20
Adventurewriter 01-Jul-20
wytex 01-Jul-20
Jims 01-Jul-20
Woods Walker 01-Jul-20
Adventurewriter 01-Jul-20
28-Jun-20
I've never used or gotten too terribly excited about game cameras but drew a quality tag miles from my house so thought it would be good to use every advantage I have for scouting. The problem I have is figuring out a strategy to look a game camera in sage country.

I just purchased a couple expensive trail cameras and am spooked about them "disappearing" since I'll be hunting public land. I can obviously try to hide them but I'm trying to figure out a security method to prevent theft. One idea I'm considering is to put a loop in the end of rebar and drive them around 2' into the ground. Then place a locking cable through the rebar loop. I think it would be nearly impossible for someone to pull the stake out. If someone really wants to steal it I'm sure they can figure out a way but it would definitely be a deterrent.

I would be curious if anyone thinks this will work or if anyone has had success with other ways to secure game cameras in open country?

28-Jun-20
You might consider trying a snare earth anchor. Basically, the same principle. Check out Wolf Fang Earth Anchors. Or go to Snareshop.com.

29-Jun-20
If guys really want the camera they carry bolt cutters, hack saws, you name it. Shawn

29-Jun-20
Having ANYTHING you leave out in the wild stolen is part of the risk of leaving them out. This goes for tree stands as well. It's part of the "cost of doing business" in the world we live in.

I once had a tree stand stolen (on private land) that some *hole BUILT A HOME MADE LADDER in order to get up to it and then left the ladder there!!!

Leaving cameras/treestands out is like leaving a few $100 bills tacked to a tree or bush. What do think will happen? If you don't want to take the risk then don't do it. If you do then do it. I hope it works out for you. The only thing I leave in the woods anymore are tracks. The worry/stress about stuff getting stolen just wasn't worth it. If I want stress I can go to work!

29-Jun-20
All you can do is deter people. You can't prevent the committed thieves from getting anything. But I agree some sort of earth anchor would help a little. Put cam in a security/bear safe, use cable lock such as Python to lock to the earth anchor. Better than just leaving it sitting there...

29-Jun-20
I say if you hunt public land don’t put out cameras, don’t leave out blinds, or tree stands. It’s not your space to stake out. Just my 2 cents

29-Jun-20
He wasn't claiming the public property. Just trying to keep his stuff from being stolen. Like locking up an ice chest at your camp sight!

29-Jun-20
Drnaln I understand this perspective. But would you pitch a tent at a campsite and leave it all peak dates of summer? Nope you wouldn’t, that’s why I encourage those who hunt public to treat it as such. To each their own

29-Jun-20
Put them high up. They make gimbal camera mounts. Or you can make your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru5_r3y1dNI&list=PLrNNiYMdWwvU9hCJ7EhHF5YMWWVY6DGFI&index=24&t=0s

29-Jun-20
Depending on where you are, bear boxes can be almost essential. Seems a bear's favorite hobby, is to tear your cameras off the trees.

I used to lag bolt the bear boxes directly to the tree, and lock the cameras inside. Takes a few tools and a bit of labor to remove it at that point, more than some might want to invest, if you're a few miles out in the mountains.

29-Jun-20
I would just try and hide them with natural cover as possible. Also, maybe double up, put. One camera up high pointed at another cam so at least you'll have evidence of who stole you cam. The only other thing is but a few less expansive cams so in case they get taken you not out a whole lot. Maybe dremmel your name nice and big in the cams, hopefully spook a would be theif away.

29-Jun-20
He’s in sagebrush country. Don’t know what to tell you Jim, buy cheap cameras !

29-Jun-20
Somebody needs to put out a few trail cam bombs its all fun and game stealing stuff until you lose an eye or a few fingers

29-Jun-20
put a trailcam over your trailcam to see who stole your trailcam.

29-Jun-20
If I put a trail cam up for security, I also put something that will direct their attention farther ahead on the trail so the trespasser will focus on that rather than noticing the camera. Such as a bunch of flagging tape etc. Always works for me.

30-Jun-20
Carry a couple tree steps with you. Hang the camera high enough, and angle it downward. just remember your steps when you retrieve the camera SD card.

30-Jun-20
I disagree Adventurewriter, you do not know who or what might just accidently rub against that cam with no intention of stealing it.

30-Jun-20
I believe Adventure was joking. Probably many have thoughts like that at times, after all it's beyond irritating when stuff gets stolen or vandalized, but the legal implications and risks associated with booby trapping your gear in this day and age are just too risky.

I've always thought a skunk bomb would give thieves their just reward, but even that has too many risks. Gives me a chuckle, though.

01-Jul-20
smarba and Adventurewriter, I agree it was probably in jest. I was just pointing out the obvious. Seems a shame nothing is safe these days if left alone for any amount of time. Sage country lends itself to challenges, maybe a pile of rocks . You might find a sage bush old enough to support it on a branch low to the ground. You would need an earth anchor though, not expensive from a trapping supply house.

01-Jul-20
Go on camofire on trail cam Tuesday and buy some cheaper cameras. I run lots of cameras these work fine. Plus put them on trails and not water to make them harder to find. I have not lost any in a long time.

01-Jul-20
Yeah I was joking but seriously...I have never used them but with the comments on this thread and others it seems like anybody that find them the automatic response is going to be to steal them. In all my decades of hunting never once have I has my truck messed with....I would think that with the rarity of people passing in remote country and the normally solid people hunters are this should be a really rare occurrence...but doesn't seem to be

01-Jul-20
I don't know that it's a problem in Wyoming but have heard other states mentioned more than once with issues. I would not put out my Reconyx on public land though anywhere. The camofire Tuesday is a good source as mentioned. Make sure your cams are legal, no cell cams now in lots of states.

01-Jul-20
Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately sagebrush doesn't grow very tall so it would be tough to use suggestions related to hanging in trees. Also, I'm aware that if someone really wants a game camera they can likely figure out a strategy to steal them.

The snare earth anchors look like a great way to go. It's similar to what I was considering with rebar plus python locks. Rebar plus Python may be tougher for anyone to steal? I also like the idea engraving my name on the camera. All of these would at least possibly get someone to change their mind and not steal the cameras.

If anyone else has any good ideas please let me know! Thanks again!

01-Jul-20

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
You Could Always Put A Sign Out!
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
You Could Always Put A Sign Out!

01-Jul-20
I put up another thread you might have read and just ordered some of the cheap but supposedly good one buy more than five and their 22 bucks...another 10 bucks for chip....

• Sitka Gear