hawkeye in PA 30-Jun-20
welka 30-Jun-20
Shuteye 30-Jun-20
Hancock West 30-Jun-20
c5ken 30-Jun-20
Graveyard 30-Jun-20
Slippery Paw 30-Jun-20
29-Jun-20
I started a recent thread about trekking poles and received a lot of great information and advice. Thank you to everyone that responded with your suggestions. So looking for some more. My Dad is 81 years young and drew a great Wyoming type 9 tag. So he decided to make the most of this tag and bought a new crossbow. We know very little about crossbows and the right set up for elk so am looking for ideas from those that do. What would you suggest for an effective bolt/broadhead combination. We are not fans of crossbows and Dad would much rather use his bow but he realizes his limitations and this probably is his last best chance at a nice bull, hence his xbow. Please, if you don't agree with using these for hunting elk that is fine and I understand, but am not interested in a debate or anything else taking this over. Thanks

29-Jun-20
I like the cranking device built in to the bow , like ten point has , they also have a steady rest that bolts to the bow .all good stuff . Good luck to your father .

29-Jun-20
First they be bolts not arrows.

But seriously you need to think about the game you are shooting. A big animal so you probably need the biggest shaft you can get to increase the mass, for better presentation and momemtum. There are crossbows made that shoot almost full length shafts, with longer power strokes.

One the things that is often not mentioned is the option of using a std. bow such as his current equipment with a draw hold device. If allowed. Just something else to think about.

29-Jun-20
Check out South Shore Archery Supply. They are in Riverview Florida. They make great bolts and are very knowledgeable. Give them a call and I am sure they can help you out. They made several great bolts for my sons Mission X-Bow.

29-Jun-20
Thanks for the lecture ground hunter, appreciate you setting me straight. First time I ever touched a xbow was on Friday when he brought it over to my house.

We will figure it out.

29-Jun-20
Do a search for CROSSBOW ARROWS on Ebay and you will have over 4,500 listings to choose from no matter what Tonybear61 says what they are.

29-Jun-20
TappNation is a good source for xbow arrows. Spynal Tapp arrows are among the best in reviews. I think I have the spelling right but I’m sure a google search will turn it up. Good luck, hope your dad kills a biggun !

29-Jun-20
Already started doing my research for my Dad. Thought I'd get some info from the Bowsite experts to narrow down the 4,500 listings to 2,000

29-Jun-20
Thanks drycreek, exactly the type of info I am looking for

29-Jun-20
My dad uses a Tenpoint Xbow so i know a few things. All xbows have a minimum arrow length that is required so figure that out 1st. Then id suggest using a bolt recommended by the xbow manufacturer. Some will come with brass inserts. And any good quality xbow broadhead will usually work but some might fly a little better than others. I would guess most bolts will weight in the 425-450gr range which is plenty.

29-Jun-20
Another good site would be Crossbow Nation.

30-Jun-20
It really depends on the crossbow but I’ve had great luck with Black Eagle Executioners / QAD Exodus 125s out of my Excaliburs, and Spynal Tapp / Rage 125s out of my Scorpyd. Jerry at South Shore makes the Spynal Tapps. Borkholder Archery also makes some great bolts.

30-Jun-20
I would get ahold of wyvern creations they specializes in all things crossbow. He helped me with bolts for my fathers crossbow and a good friend purchased a crossbow from him.

30-Jun-20
Know nothing on subject but best of luck with your hunt and hope Dad gets a big one!

30-Jun-20
Call Jerry at South Shore Archery. He makes the best arrows and you don't want to skimp as elk can be longer shots and you don't want an issue with an arrow. His are expensive, but well worth it.

30-Jun-20
I use a Ravin cross bow and only shoot Ravin bolts. They have a special nock that locks onto the string. Expensive but worth the money since the group very well. I can easily hit a 2" bullseye at 50 yards. That is from a rest however. It shoot right through deer every time. And as mentioned above, if you use expandable broadheads make sure they are for a crossbow. My Ravin shoots 425 FPS.

30-Jun-20
Ravin R9 will do the trick. They have some new titanium mechanical broad heads too. Glad your taking your dad. Hope he gets exactly what he hopes for!

30-Jun-20
One more vote for South Shore Archery.. You will not be disapointed

30-Jun-20
I found out he bought a Wicked Ridge Invader 400 made by TenPoint. It came with 3 Wicked Ridge xx75 bolts and says 380 FPS with these 435 gr bolts. Up to 400 FPS with 370 gr bolts. Its funny that on their website they call them arrows, not bolts, go figure. I wish he would have went bigger and badder than this bow but this what we got. We will look for highly recommended xbow heads and bolts in the 425 gr range.

30-Jun-20
That's a solid crossbow at its price point. I would opt for the CenterPunch arrows with lighted Alpha nocks. Both are very good products made by TenPoint and will not void the warranty. The CenterPunch arrows will come in at 450 gr. with a 100 gr. broadhead. They are some of the best crossbow arrows available. For elk out of that crossbow and arrow combination I would shoot the Magnus Black Hornets. A great cut on contact head and they will fly very well for him out 40 yards. Good luck!

• Sitka Gear