dhaverstick's embedded Photo
Missouri's squirrel season opens on Memorial Day weekend and I take full advantage of its almost 9 month length and the fact that my house butts right up against a squirrel smorgasbord. Generally, I never have to leave my porch unless I just want some exercise or need to gather a new batch of ticks. I really like killing them with a longbow but will occasionally switch over to one of my flintlocks just to keep it fresh.

Life is good!

Darren

30-Jun-20
VERY fun!

Growing up I plinked my recurve stump shooting and at hay bale target. I tried hunting and scared many a snowshoe hare, spruce grouse and red squirrel over a period of quite some time. To the point I wondered if I'd EVER kill anything. Then all of a sudden one day it clicked and in that single day I killed 5 red squirrels! They are small targets and even smaller bundles of meat, but my mom managed to salvage enough from all 5 to make a squirrel pot pie. Delicious, and I still remember it to this day, some 45 years ago...

30-Jun-20
Nice shooting, Darren! Is that pink shirt your "suburban camo"? Does it trick the squirrels into thinking you're just another guy about to mow his lawn?

30-Jun-20
When the tree rats paused to look at the shirt you nailed them. Good plan

30-Jun-20
You are correct, John! Like when Dad pulls the ole "I'm going to the Granny Field to cut some wood" trick on the deer. I have a flintlock squirrel rifle being made right now by John Pruitt. I sent him some walnut from the farm and told him to make me a rifle out of some of it. Gonna be a 32 caliber. He should have it done in a couple of weeks.

Darren

06-Jul-20

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
Got to wait till August 15th before slinging some arrows at them.

09-Jul-20
smarba that's a great story. these days I'd rather hear those homely childhood memory tales than far flung big game adventure stories. thanks for sharing. sounds like our moms were a lot alike too.

12-Jul-20

mgmicky's embedded Photo
mgmicky's embedded Photo
Nice shooting! I just moved to TN and see that our season opens in late August. Looks like the little guys here only have about a 3 month off season. Good archery practice for sure.

12-Jul-20

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo
Ground hogs are open

12-Jul-20
Hunted squirrels in Michigan with a 22. That was my start.

• Sitka Gear