IdyllwildArcher 30-Jun-20
Ucsdryder 30-Jun-20
Deserve2beworked 30-Jun-20
wyliecoyote 05-Jul-20
Inshart 05-Jul-20
mustbowhunt 05-Jul-20
Ucsdryder 05-Jul-20
30-Jun-20
I drew an A9 X5B archery tag. I had 12 points. I drew this tag 13 years ago and only hunted a few days because I had an archery tag in Nevada also. I like the high desert. I am 71 years old and have lost way more than a step. I shoot a compound, but still with fingers. A lot has happened in X5B in the last 12 years I know. Fires, drought, cheatgrass, etc. And, I know the deer numbers are "low density". This will be my last X5B archery deer hunt in this life so I am going with the "savor the day, savor the moment" attitude. Shooting a nice buck what also help! lol. I’ve just finished my second scout trip there for this season. It’s changed a lot in the last 13 years. Burns have replaced good feed with non-edibles. I am going to need some help from those of you who know the area. I am interested in your thoughts about X5B, and hunt areas. Would also be interested in your thoughts about sitting water in that unit. Thanks. And, I hope I'll be able to return the favor.

30-Jun-20
I can't help you with the area, but GL on the hunt and grats on a good tag.

30-Jun-20
I had that tag when I was 12 for rifle. My dad and I saw 17 bucks the first day and 35 for the opening 3 days weekend. I shot...a lot... and came home empty handed. Those were truly the “good old days”. We drew it 7-8 years ago the year they had the huge fire. We were so excited and then it burned a couple months before the season. Hunting off horses in the high desert might be the most fun you can have with your pants on!!!!

30-Jun-20
Hunting with the right attitude, always comes in, fun! If you had a tag this year in X5B, where might you hunt? PM is ok too.

05-Jul-20
2018 statistics show an 80% success for the archery X5b (A9) hunt...easily the highest success numbers of all Calif. deer hunts !! You will have a great hunt..shoot straight ..

Joe

05-Jul-20
Sorry, I have no info either, but when you did your scouting, did you take any pics? If so can you post a few without giving away your spot? We always enjoy looking at "the country side".

Good luck, and I hope someone chimes in and gives you some good "hiney" (LOL) hole tips.

05-Jul-20
I'll try to post about the area and the hunt with some photos. Have done three scout trips thus far. Area drastically affected by wildfires over the years. So much good deer habitat burn't up and non-edible food for deer took its place. The success rate in the unit is excellent. the tag numbers are pretty low, only 5 archery tags. Last year 4 of 5 guys got bucks. Some years the success isn't so good, but it depends on the experience of the archer, and what quality of buck they want to harvest. I've had tag soup many times because I wanted those antlers I saw, that my wife says we don't eat!

05-Jul-20
Most of the fires burn hot and it kills the sage. The sage is replaced by cheat grass. The deer there live up against the rim rock where the sage can grow 4-6 feet tall. When it’s gone and there are fields of cheat grass it makes for poor deer habitat. Chukar love it tho!

• Sitka Gear