Bou'bound 11-Jul-20
deerslayer 12-Jul-20
Bou'bound 12-Jul-20
WV Mountaineer 12-Jul-20
Chief 419 12-Jul-20
olebuck 13-Jul-20
Jaquomo 13-Jul-20
02-Jul-20
Just watched (Bow-life) tv show Levi Morgan hunting Dall Sheep in NWT.

He makes a nice stalk and puts 101 yard shot right in the pocket. Like it was 40 yards.

He looks like a good hunter and obviously one heck a shot under pressure. Also seems to be a pretty humble man.

02-Jul-20
He is lethal and a good example for others

02-Jul-20
He’s the best there is for unmarked 3D. I think both Lee and Tiffany are about as good as I’ve seen for tv hunters that don’t have any real spot shooting experience.

02-Jul-20

Bou'bound's Link
https://youtu.be/2rWcTEDPO7c

Here it is

02-Jul-20
Dang that’s a poke

02-Jul-20
Wonder how many times they take those long shots and wound the animal . The stuff they don’t show on TV .......

02-Jul-20
I very much admire his skill as a hunter and great shooter With that said I still respect some one more who can close the distance and get a closer shot ,I was raised to believe Bowhunting was a close range sport, Like I said I admire his skill but believe showing shots like that may lead unskilled people to try shots out of their ethical range Just my beliefs

02-Jul-20
Ah, eastern and mid-western whitetail hunters weighing in on long shots on animals they don’t understand in terrain they’ve never been in. Gotta love it....

02-Jul-20
I very much respect Levi, Sorry for having an opinion

02-Jul-20
Hammer, I would rather have you shoot at me at 40 yards than Levi Morgan shoot at me at 105 yards.

03-Jul-20
50 seemed like a really long shot at one time, its not now. 100 seems like a really long shot today...

03-Jul-20
Tilz I am not a eastern or midwestern guy. I feel ridge nailed it. 100 yard shots on TV or not is not good for bow hunting.

03-Jul-20
Edited after watching the video, Tough shot, looked even more risky than just the distance with the sheep down in the willows.

03-Jul-20
the real question is will this thread end with more or fewer posts than the 105 yard distance of his shot. I'm taking the over..........and not one opinion will be changed when it ends.

03-Jul-20
Personally I have no problem with anyone shooting at a distant animal as long as it's within their skill level. The only other factors involved are things e.g. is the animal moving, is it nervous, anything in the way and such. I'd have a heck of a lot more deer if I could shoot at 50 like a Levi Morgan type can shoot at 100 or beyond.

03-Jul-20
101 yards? No way I’m ever shooting over 100.

03-Jul-20
Hang on guys let me get the popcorn made.

03-Jul-20
I regularly practiced with my compound out to 108 yards. That was as far as my MBG sight would adjust for that setup. I have no where near the talent that Levi has. And I was very confident in making a killing shot on a Whitetail size target at that range. So I agree me taking a 50 yard shot with my compound is about like Levi shooting at 100 And before we get into the animal moving argument That is actually more likely when they are closest. Jumping the string.

He also used an expandable BH

For the record I sold my compound and went back to Selfbows, Longbows and Recurves.

And I think anyone hunting with a compound and taking a shot over 15 yards should try to get closer.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek

03-Jul-20
ten years from now will be the 200 yard shot on hunting shows.

03-Jul-20
Levi has proven he is one of the best shots on the planet. Bowhunting used to be about how close you could get to the animal.

03-Jul-20
I agree, and I decree that from this date forward all bow hunters must take no archery shot over 15 yds. Because that is what I am skilled enough to make.

And if someone can’t stalk within 15 yards they should rifle hunt.

So decreed on this date 2020 :^)

Sorry My smart A$$ side coming out Just trying to be funny guys.

03-Jul-20
What a great video! My hats off to Levi. That was an incredible shot and a great accomplishment. I pride myself on being able to get close to game. Yes its the challenge, but its so i can make an ethical shot within my limits. My archery limits are defined by abilities to, be honest. Levi represents archery and bowhunting very well and is in a different league than me. Anyone who has anything negative to say shouldn't say anything at all

03-Jul-20
Awesome shot. Great ram! Congratulations!

03-Jul-20
He is a machine when he shoots and he took that shot knowing if he wounded it the hunt was over. He took it and it worked. Good for him. I’m never gonna be that good so I’ll stick to <40 but I won’t criticize him. He earns shots like that, most of us don’t.

03-Jul-20
He always seems like a decent guy on camera. Like how he comments about hiding his bow and worried that he's offending the other people.

I remember when I was in college; both my roommate and I were into archery. We would blow off class and go shoot a 3D course (in PA and WV the local archery shops had them). We joined an archery club 40 minutes away and would shoot there all the time. They had a haybale paper target course setup with shooting lanes that was always available. A friend showed us how to shoot it from any angle through the woods, picking "windows" through branches and MAN! We got good!

Heck, we would even shoot through our house and into the back yard at a 3D target that we bought. Back then I could hit a doorknob at any distance below 65 yards and I don't think I'm exaggerating much at all. We shot like it was our job and we shot all the time. We learned to judge yardage my eyesight and were generally within a yard of the actual yardage.

Now with life in the way, house, family, work and so on, I rarely pick up my bow until late August/September. I can't shoot through my house (no way would my wife let me) and so my skills have slipped some. I can field judge distance but not nearly as well. I rely on my range finder which works great for stationary deer - but how often does that come along?

While I long for my skills when I was younger, I can appreciate his skill. It's his job. He likely can walk out his backdoor and shoot anytime. The more you practice, the better you are. Most of us know that because we have the most valuable thing - our own experience/life experience.

I've made some great shots and I've shot some dumb stuff, (squirrel with the bow which then runs up a tree with the arrow and blunt tip only to die 70ft up and get stuck falling down or a rabbit that made it back into the hole). All of those things made me learn there is more to the sport. Knowing the animal, knowing my skill level and understanding the conditions was "my school of hard knocks". I'm just glad I didn't have to learn with a camera man over my shoulder.

Enjoy your day fellas! Happy 4th for those of you from the states!

03-Jul-20
Well said Treeline, and really all that needs to be said.

03-Jul-20
I like his show and saw this sheep shot. No doubt he is a terrific shot, with a bow, but if the sheep had taken a step or two, gut shot or worse. And that’s a lot more likely to happen at 101 yards than inside 40 yards.

03-Jul-20
You guys all make me laugh everytime this subject comes up. Who cares if you wound one or two animals in a trip, it's bowhunting , going to happen. They are just stupid animals who were put on earth for our pleasure, period. I take shots in hopes that I stick an arrow in somewhere and then track it. How many deer and elk are there, plenty and wounding a few is not a big deal. Especially if your on a guided hunt were they state if you draw blood your done, just keep quiet and continue hunting. I wounded three deer last season two I shot in the ass at 70 yard, so, they probably will recover. Animals are put on this earth for mans use, pleasure and if nothing else your helping the coyotes and wolves to make easier kills. How many elk are wounded every year with guys taking shots that are way out of their ability, doesn't matter, it's anumbers game, envetually they are going to put one in the sweet spot. I certainly am not going to eat tag soup without try kill something.

03-Jul-20
map1 for th win!-)

03-Jul-20
He’ll likely miss seeing this thread today because he’s probably on a lake fishing with his son and then practicing his craft.

Great American success story and I love great American success.

PS: Anyone who’s bow hunted Dall Sheep knows you pay 20k plus and if you draw blood you’re done.

03-Jul-20
LBshooter, I hope your post is some poor attempt at a bad joke?!

03-Jul-20
For those of you who think long range shooting is okay...you are aware that on most hunts in Canada and Africa your hunt is over if you draw blood. No Mulligans permitted.

03-Jul-20
I watched the same show. 101 yards, wow. Makes the shots Chuck Adams used to make look like "chip shots" .

03-Jul-20
Beautiful ram, congrats to him. Didn't see the shot placement, but it was obviously deadly. Anyone know which outfitter?

03-Jul-20
I imagine if Levi decided to shoot a trad bow, with his talent and dedication to the craft, he'd still be able to shoot accurately twice as far as most other humans.

...and the haters would still hate him.

03-Jul-20
100 Yards to Levi is like 40 to most shooters.

03-Jul-20
Levi is a class act! Good for him.

Bowhunting used to be about killing an animal with a bow and arrow...until it wasn't.

Bowhunting used to be about arrow speed and flat trajectory...until it wasn't.

Bowhunting used to about getting close to an animal before you killed it...until it wasn't.

Is bowhunting once again about killing an animal with a bow and arrow? Maybe so, to some. The beauty of it is that it can be about whatever you want it to be to YOU.

If you tell me this kind of thing is poisoning the minds of all these ranks of young archers just breaking into the game, I'll call BS on that flat out. There aren't ranks of young archers but guys like Levi are more attractive to kids starting out than older guys telling them what bowhunting is about.

03-Jul-20
“There aren't ranks of young archers but guys like Levi are more attractive to kids starting out than older guys telling them what bowhunting is about”.

I think Boreal may have just nailed it.

And old people smell funny to kids : )

03-Jul-20
I would easily put Levi’s success and wounding rates at 100 against most of his haters success and wounding rates at 30 and in. I know I’ve wounded some at under 20. Was it because I can’t hit a target, nope. Some are just better than others. If most of us shot the numbers of arrows he does and the number of critters we’d be almost as good but some of us would still be jealous haters.

03-Jul-20
It’s similar to Randy Ulmer. Both with exceptional discipline and skills Randy has more hunting experience. But Levi is following along those lines.

03-Jul-20
There are a lot of amazing target shooters, that can't pull it off on live game. Levi has proven time and time again, he can keep his cool, and execute. Truly a Master archer !

03-Jul-20
How does he "aim small" and "pick a spot" at 100+ yards? What size pin does he use that enables him to aim at that spot at 100+ yards? What is the hang time of his arrow traveling 100+ yards? What is the potential for an animal to move during that hang time? Shooting at live animals and stationary targets is not the same, even if sheep are stupid and just stand there letting you fling arrows at them, from 100+ yards away. No, I don't shoot dimes at 100 yards, I can't see them so haven't tried it. I don't care if Levi or Lee can see and shoot dimes all day at 100+ yards, it is my opinion that there are too many variables involved to be shooting at LIVE animals that far away.

03-Jul-20
Well...we all know what opinions are worth!-)

03-Jul-20
What is the maximum distance that a dall sheep in the NWT should be shot at?

03-Jul-20
I have to agree with you PECO. That was why folks had issues with Chuck Adams when he advocated taking long shots. I can't believe at that altitude the wind wasn't a factor. But, I gotta say, the shot was perfect.

03-Jul-20
Why do we as bowhunter’s have long seasons, often during the prime times to hunt the rut? It is because historically bowhunting is hard and success rates are low. If we as bowhunter’s don’t start policing our own the states will start doing it likely with shorter seasons and less tags. I am not sure what limits should be placed or how. I do believe it is somewhere short of 100 yard shots and crossbows. I don’t do it the hardest way possible. I hunt with a compound. But technology likely will bite us in the ass if some limits are not imposed on what technology can be used during our bow seasons. I am not hating on Levi from all accounts he seems like a decent guy. However I don’t think he is doing our sport an favors putting shots over 100 yards on TV/Internet.

03-Jul-20
Aron Snyder was talking about shooting recurved at 160fps versus a compound at 300fps. The whole animal moving kind of goes out the window when you think about it that way.

Is an animal more likely to spook at 20 yards or 100?

03-Jul-20
Not another one of these...I'm going out on a limb and saying I told you so 10 years ago. When guy's were butt hurt and blasted me for shooting an elk at 70 yards! Flame away.

03-Jul-20
Edit to say 19 years ago

03-Jul-20
You guys are talking about the Michael Jordan of the archery world. 99.9% of bow hunters that have ever lived can not do what Levi can do! Did the basketball world complain about Jordan taking all those long shots and scoring all those points? Did they complain that it was too easy and the rules are going to change because of him? NO!!! Give it a rest guys and simply enjoy watching an incredibly talented archer and true man among men!!!

03-Jul-20
Jingalls first off don’t forgot what opinions are worth ;). Second off go talk to a bunch of archers at a local range at least here out west. It is not just the Michael Jordon’s of archery taking long shots. Do we really want archery equipment with ranges longer than a 30-30?

04-Jul-20
"What so many of you forget, is he is hunting an animal, most will not know anything about,,,, its not the shot problem, but getting to them and weather,,,, I believe if he had the time etc, a closer shot would have come, but hey, good for him"

Granted, I've only bowhunted Dall sheep twice and am anxiously awaiting August for my 3rd, but I've spent >20 days (many of those days 8-10 hours) under 120 yards and most of those 20 days less than 100 yards from a legal ram and come up empty (although I've missed due to stupid mistakes).

In my experience, sheep hunting is a lot of luck to either have the great tag, have the funds to buy the tag/access, or find the legal ram on an OTC tag. After that, it's really not that tough to get to 150 yards (provided you're not 100 lbs overweight) and 100 yards is, in my experience, not that much tougher if you have some patience. Under 80, it gets a lot tougher because of the terrain and under 60 it gets monumentally more difficult. I can't imagine hunting one with a longbow/recurve. For me, it's been a "shot problem," not a "getting to them and weather problem," because closing the distance from 100, much more so 80 to 50, in my experience, has been the difficult part. So I disagree.

This is to take nothing away from Levi. I don't even aspire to be as good of a shot as him. But to say it's all getting there and the weather - I don't agree. (It might take a lot of time or money, but those really are only partially relevant). Because getting a 50 yard shot on a sheep is exceptionally more difficult in my experience than getting a 100 yard shot. Hell, I had sheep bust me at 80 yards on one of my hunts and I just stood up and walked away because it was late. And they didn't even run! And I've had that happen at 125 as well. Heck, that time, I just laid behind a rock for an hour and they forgot about me. But when I closed to 80 and they spotted me, they took off...

Granted, getting proficient at 100 yards with archery tackle as opposed to the same proficiency at 50 yards is probably more difficult than closing the distance from 100 to 50 yards on a sheep, but I wouldn't know because I've never come close to Levi-level proficiency. But that's a completely different discussion.

I've shot out to 100 yards and used to be able to consistently hit a standard foam target at 100 (a fraction of Levi's proficiency), but don't anymore. It's not my thing. I shoot to 70 now and 50 is my limit on animals - 45 is what I'm looking for on a sheep and most Western big game - although 25 is the shot I want. I'm shooting good for me now and 45 is nothing. For Levi, long range archery is his thing. He's honed the art. So you agree with that or you don't. The rest of it is really a different argument. Yes, he's proficient at 100 yards.

The animal moving thing is another argument. The image to younger hunters is another argument. The history of bowhunting is another argument. Wounding is another argument.

What he's trying to accomplish, is the same thing I'm trying to accomplish: Shoot a sheep with a modern bow. We just have slightly different means. Honestly, with our imperfect weapons, I don't see how we can browbeat our fellow hunters for weapon choice or utilization. I'm shooting phenomenally "for me" right now, but I've wounded/lost deer on chip shots, just like most. Just see it for something that it is: something different than "your way."

We have a new guard at the hospital I work at. A few people have challenged me on my methods because they're the old way (with the focus on doing the right thing for the patient and not covering your ass) and viewed as cavalier. In each occasion, I say the same thing: What was the outcome? "Well, the patient's result was positive." So I say the same thing: "So long as I bat 1.000, don't tell me I did anything wrong. Once I screw up, I'll be the first to acknowledge it and you can tell me I need to change."

Until reports of Levi wounding/losing a bunch of animals comes out, I don't see how people can say much. Has anyone heard of him losing a bunch of animals? I haven't.

04-Jul-20
"Until reports of Levi wounding/losing a bunch of animals comes out, I don't see how people can say much. Has anyone heard of him losing a bunch of animals? I haven't."

Not speaking to Levi, but there are stories out there of some really well known target archer/bowhunters wounding game at distance.

04-Jul-20
For the record, Michael Jordan missed a lot more shots than he made :^)

04-Jul-20
Michael Jordan, really? Throwing a ball at a hoop and shooting an arrow at a live animal is an equal comparison? LOL good one.

04-Jul-20
"What is the maximum distance that a dall sheep in the NWT should be shot at?"

Well, since they just stand there staring at you and let you shot arrows at them, maybe 300 yards. I say 300 cuz I saw some guy make a 300 yard shot on a balloon on youtube. So, 300 it is.

04-Jul-20
I read an article about Levi Morgan several years ago. He was a championship level archer as a youth. Got to high school, became a stand out basketball player and had pretty much just put the bow in the closet.

He gets a full ride basketball scholarship and says, nah, I think I’ll just shoot my bow. Look how that’s paid off. Pretty amazing.

04-Jul-20
I’ve had deer duck and turn catching the arrow in the spine above the ham at less than 35. The animal moving shouldn’t be a factor unless your max distance is 15 yards. 15 or closer is the only way there’s not the potential for an animal to move more than a couple inches.

04-Jul-20
IF he gave up an education at any price for a tv hunting show that is quite a decision

04-Jul-20
He makes his living as a professional archer much like a pro golfer or pro bass fisherman.

04-Jul-20
Bou, I think he’s doing ok for himself, somewhere in the 7 figures per year. But I’m sure he’s concerned with your thoughts on his wellbeing and future.

04-Jul-20
I share Ike’s opinion on this. Levi is an exceptional archer - I’m not. I’ve shot at targets at 100 yards and like was mentioned above, my pin was covering a very large area - I was basically just centering it on the target and shooting. I practice out to 70-80 but want a shot under 50. 20ish is ideal for me.

Just because Dale Earnhardt could take a corner at 150+ mph doesn’t mean I can...

04-Jul-20
Oh my goodness! I think the real problem is we have a bunch of people on here that are jealous because they can’t shoot well! Good luck guys and happy fourth!

04-Jul-20
Remember a recent thread here lauding a “Curt Wells” article condemning long-range shots on game. What’s changed?

04-Jul-20
Midwest, I'd take that bet in a second. Mike, yes I was making light of the subject. However, I think Levi is a outstanding shot, and he makes those shots look easy, and that's the problem. How many knuckleheads watch him shoot animals at those distances and then get in the woods and try the long shots and wound a animal, plenty. Just hunt public land enough and you'll hear the stories about the guy who tried shooting through the pine trees and under the log at a150 at 75 yards. Just because Levi can shoot those distances doesn't mean he should when others are watching. Obviously he is an influencer and I'm sure there will be plenty of wounded game due to his shot. I have yet to hunt elk, but I can imagine the shots guys take high they have no business making. I guess it's like advertising a crossbow saying its like a rifle and shooting it at 100 yards. And one last comment, critizing someone doesn't mean that you HATE them, a lot of guys out here get their panties in a bunch when someone has an opinion that's is different than theirs. I don't hate and I certainly don't hate Levi, I don't watch his show but I do feel just because he can he shouldn't on camera. Jmo

04-Jul-20
Midwest, I'd take that bet in a second. Mike, yes I was making light of the subject. However, I think Levi is a outstanding shot, and he makes those shots look easy, and that's the problem. How many knuckleheads watch him shoot animals at those distances and then get in the woods and try the long shots and wound a animal, plenty. Just hunt public land enough and you'll hear the stories about the guy who tried shooting through the pine trees and under the log at a150 at 75 yards. Just because Levi can shoot those distances doesn't mean he should when others are watching. Obviously he is an influencer and I'm sure there will be plenty of wounded game due to his shot. I have yet to hunt elk, but I can imagine the shots guys take high they have no business making. I guess it's like advertising a crossbow saying its like a rifle and shooting it at 100 yards. And one last comment, critizing someone doesn't mean that you HATE them, a lot of guys out here get their panties in a bunch when someone has an opinion that's is different than theirs. I don't hate and I certainly don't hate Levi, I don't watch his show but I do feel just because he can he shouldn't on camera. Jmo

04-Jul-20
UCS I just said it would be quite a decision. Quite describes the significance of something not the positive or negative or qualitative aspects of it.

I think he is amazing and I never knew hunting show host without a company they own or run could make over a million. That is quite a salary.

That guy taking hundred yard shots he is comfy with is flat out lethal. I would not question his judgement or ability with bow in hand. World class in anything is a totally different Thing than the average or even top end. World class is just that. He is world class in bow hunting and shooting. Others are not playing the same game he is playing in anyway other than name

04-Jul-20
I loved to watch MJ play basketball back in the day, but doing so never made me believe I could do what he did, nor did I ever even try, lol.

Both guys have talent that I never had the potential for. Probably why people pay/paid to watch them and nobody has even heard of me!

04-Jul-20
What Treeline, Pat, Brotsky and Charlie said!

04-Jul-20
ucsdryder, you say he’s making seven figures. Do you know that for a fact or.....

05-Jul-20
I’m surprised that liberals like “habitat” don’t think it’s unfair that he can shoot accurately out to 100 yards while most of the rest of us are stuck to taking shots 30 yards and under

05-Jul-20
He made the shot ram's dead nough said. Except maybe nice shot.

05-Jul-20
You are not stuck to taking shots 30 yards and under, you just can't hit anything beyond that;-)

And I am not a liberal, but you know that already.

05-Jul-20
I'm jealous of 2 things........ One, he's holding a white sheep, and a big one at that, and two, that flipping beard of his doesn't have a gray hair in it.

06-Jul-20

Bou'bound's Link
His Dad is deadly to. This elk drops in it's tracks at over 100. Flat out lethal.

06-Jul-20
Did he hit him in the back of the head? That elk went down awefully fast.

06-Jul-20
hell of a shot on the sheep!

06-Jul-20
In the back of the neck below the head. Terrible shot.

06-Jul-20
Yes he had a good quartering away shot at a bit over 100 but the elk moved at the last second and it got the spine by head. Tough to account for movement. No blood trailing needed on that one. Would have needed a follow up shot I imagine.

06-Jul-20
Curt Wells addressed this in the February issue of Bowhunter. I agree with him 100%. Why bother with a bow if you aren't going to meet the animal on their terms. It's sad that the need to kill something forces people to go to the extreme. You hear bitching about Xbows and black powder all the time, but what's the difference other than the fact you can shoot proficiently at 100 yds. That ain't hunting, that's just killin. I hunt with a bow at 40 yds or less, I kill with my rifle about as far as I want to shoot. You think laying out 20K justifies it, well I've spent that and more chasing Elk, and though I practice out to 60 yds. I've yet to take an branch antlered bull not because I haven't been that close, but because I haven't been presented with an ethical shot 40 yds or less.

06-Jul-20
Yes he had a good quartering away shot at a bit over 100 but the elk moved at the last second and it got the spine by head. Tough to account for movement. No blood trailing needed on that one. Would have needed a follow up shot I imagine.

06-Jul-20
That's what I thought, he got lucky and hit the spine. So maybe Levi's dads own hunt shows the reason why you shouldn't take 100 yard shots with a bow, to many variables. And as for Curt Wells, we all know he's a hater;) I couldn't agree with him more. Archery is for getting close and if you want to shoot long range pickup a rifle. And just for the record, I don't hate Levi, he a fine shot and I'm sure he is a good person, but I think he can handle a little criticism .

06-Jul-20
Bou said "His Dad is deadly to. This elk drops in it's tracks at over 100. Flat out lethal."

He got lucky and shot it in the head. Are you hoping if you toot his horn enough in this thread he will send you a free hat or something? ;)-

06-Jul-20
I just don’t think the reality of what all of us would do should be put on TV. All of us would shoot out to a bit past our maximum effective target range on an expensive, time consuming and mentally tough sheep hunt. Levi didn’t even go past his effective target range with this shot. It just shouldn’t be put on TV for every archer who thinks he’s good to copy, it’s bad for bowhunting.

Randy Ulmer says he never shoots a first shot at an animal past 60 yds. A lie? Probably, but it’s an honourable position to take when you know people are watching and listening to you and want to copy you. Randy knows most bowhunters have no idea how incredibly good a shot, along with excellent hunting skills, guys like Levi or Randy truly are and all the elements they have to pay attention to, to even consider taking a long bomb.

10-Jul-20
I don't think that slop shots should be aired either.

11-Jul-20
Whenever this topic comes up I always hear the same basic thing: "Airing those type of shots are bad for bowhunting and are going to cause others to try the same and cause more wounded animals" I would like to know how many guys on here, who don't live in the west, have taken shots past 50? And if so, how many? I have shot many whitetails, antelope, and elk past 50 and I can tell you right now, if most guys attempt a 100 yard shot they will almost always either completely miss or kill the animal stone dead. For my experience, I have rarely had a wounding scenario at long distances, and off the top of my head don't believe I have ever shot at an animal over 50, where I mortally connected, that I didn't recover the animal. I have a buddy that emptied his quiver at a buck of a lifetime a few years ago, at a long distance, and he said the buck would just look at the spot his arrows hit in the grass. Case in point. Not saying one way or the other as to whether my buddy should have taken the shots or not (his hunt and his choice), but most average archers are going to completely whiff or smack them dead nuts at long ranges. Usually a whiff...

11-Jul-20
Maybe they should start changing the archery tournaments so the targets randomly move to the side 6 inches. Boy would that make for a fun tournament.

11-Jul-20
"most average archers are going to completely whiff or smack them dead nuts at long ranges."

No offence but that maybe the dumbest thing I have ever read on bowsite.

11-Jul-20
No offense taken. Facts don’t care about feelings. You’re entitled to your opinion. I’m basing mine off of real life experience and have the data to back it up. And, you left the last part out while cherry picking my statement, I said “usually a whiff”. Can you tell me how many guys you know that are shooting at animals at 100 yards and consistently mortally wounding them without recovery? I don’t really care what you think, I am telling you without a doubt, the worst part about average guys taking long shots is not wounded animals, it’s lost arrows. Very few people are wounding animals at that distance. They are usually completely missing them, and once in a while they kill them stone dead.

11-Jul-20

deerslayer's Link
Take a look at the 15:30 mark To see what I’m talking about. At 100 yards animals don’t just typically get hit in the guts. The whole, “they have time to take one or two steps theory” is usually a complete miss, as this shot showcases.

11-Jul-20
All that video proves is a guy took a shot he had no business taking and missed by a bunch. What if the bull waited a second before he started move then it is in the guts or ass. What if the shots was off what would have been a little bit at 40 yards but good enough to still catch the back of lungs. Now at 100 yards it square in the guts or if off the other way the brisket. It makes no sense to think at longer ranges a shot is either kill zone or miss. I like shooting a 100 yards. I will rarely miss a 3-D on a calm day. But a lot of don't end up in the 12,10,8 rings. How do you explain that real world experience?

I take back the dumbest post on bowsite. That has got to be some of the Biden fanboys on that thread. ;)

11-Jul-20
Your experiences doen't prove anything as far as the whole of bow hunting. Where are these statistics? No one ever asked me if I shot at an animal at 100+ yards and what the result was. How many guys are going to fess up be honest about their result?

Kill shot or complete miss? I'm not buying it.

11-Jul-20
Arguing and unprovable statement won’t prove anything regarding the statement

12-Jul-20
What if, what if, what if....... The point is not what if, the point is what did happen, which was he completely missed. Obviously there’s a possibility for the scenarios to which you present, and I’m not saying those never happen. What I am saying is that I don’t believe it to be as often as you might think. Neither of you answered my question, but that’s OK I’m pretty sure I already know the answer. However, you’re right, my experience does not prove the whole of bow hunting, but it does cause me to have a foundation based observation and experience on which to build a parameter of belief. I am not just pulling this theory out of thin air. I’m basing it off of my own experience as well as others who have fessed up to taking long shots. I have taken many successful, and what most on here would consider long, shots. What I am telling you is the data I have, in conjunction with the experiences of myself and my western bowhunting friends, backs up what I am saying. (As a side, there are a good number of Bowsite killers, that many guys on here worship every year, who if you only knew how many long distance shots they take to harvest their game, you would be amazed) You’re not a fan of 100 yard shots. I get it. Neither am I, and I don’t take 100 yard shots, but I have taken shots at 50, 60, 70, and 80, and I know many others that have as well out here in the west. What I am telling you has been a consistent theme throughout. For the average guys who don’t put in the time and practice, they usually whiff. For those that do it’s usually a direct hit, or in the case of the video link I posted the animal is long out-of-the-way before the arrow gets there. Which is another thing that I have observed. Animals at longer ranges don’t react to the sound nearly as much as they would at 30 and 40. You don’t have to believe what I’m anything I am telling you. I’ve seen It enough to know that it’s truth. The main point I was trying to make, is that this thought process that watching a guy like Levi Morgan take 100 yard shots is terrible for bow hunting “because a bunch of other guys are going to go try it, subsequently running around wounding a bunch a game” just doesn’t line up with what I have experienced, and heard from others. I’m not saying that it isn’t ever going to happen, but I don’t think it’s quite the pandemic of some of you guys are making it out to be.

I’m not going to respond any further, but I will end with this. Levi Morgan is an exceptionally lethal shot. Is it the same as a guy who consistently fills tags with his stick bow at 20 yards and under every year? Obviously not. It’s a very different thing, but it is still impressive in its own right.

12-Jul-20
would the average guy who has the ability to throw a basketball from half court towards the basket end up making more baskets, hitting the backboard, or missing the backboard more often. I agree it is more likely to be an all out miss than it is a kill or wound at long range for guys who don't practice consistently at long range. it really seems kind of obvious.

bottomline is the unpracticed long range shooter, which is what deerslayer is talking about, is not good enough to get close enough with an arrow to wound more often than miss

12-Jul-20
Great shot on the Ram!

12-Jul-20
Congrats to Levi on a great ram! Hell of a shot.

13-Jul-20
congrats to him. he does it right. he involves his entire family and they all seem to be doing what they love. I really like his show, and he seems to be a great guy....

13-Jul-20
Great shot on a great ram. Levi seems like a really grounded man with supernatural skill. Hats off to him.

I used to be one of the most ardent critics of showing overlong shots on video, thinking it would negatively impact bowhunting. Now I believe we have waaaay more problems to contend with than showing a few successful long shots.

I've never killed an animal at a distance greater than 38 yards, and those were with a longbow and recurve. It's a confidence thing for me, even with a compound. But for those who can shoot like Levi, Randy, Lee, Dan Evans, Burnworth, a shot like that is more consistently makeable than a 40 yard shot for a large proportion of bowhunters.

• Sitka Gear