Contributors to this thread:
Tradman33 03-Jul-20
Robert2968 03-Jul-20
Buffalo1 03-Jul-20
bghunter 03-Jul-20
NY Bowman 07-Jul-20
NY Bowman 07-Jul-20
03-Jul-20
Hi Guys my name is Cody. I am planning on going on my first alligator hunt. I am going to book the trip through Bowhunting Safari Consultants. My question is I have a PSE Kingfisher 60 inch 50 lb at 28". At my draw length of 25" would be 44 lb is that enough to shoot an alligator with ?

03-Jul-20
Florida Min.Draw wt. 35 lbs. As long as your close with sharp broadhead should be no Problem

03-Jul-20
Robert2968 could you define the distance "close" ? tks

03-Jul-20
My two trips was always told 10 yards max. 1 gator i shot about 1 foot Second gator I shot about 2 feet. Most of the time with patience you should be able to get close. I will point out first gator was at night second one was during the day. I am no expert, just provided my experience

07-Jul-20
I've taken (or helped take) over 30 gators and had a 10 year old take one with a 38# longbow. Like anything else, shot placement is the key. Took a 15 year old that just couldn't get the fact that you don't shoot at what you see when gator hunting. Called him "Skippy" after 16 shots and skipping several off of the scutes and solid bone of the head. Most times, if the part of the gator you see is out of the water, it is bone. As noted above, you can certainly take a gator with a lightweight bow. However, I always recommend the heaviest bow you can shoot reasonably well. 5 yards would be a very long shot from my experience.

07-Jul-20
In Florida, I've never used a broadhead to shoot a gator with unless it is to kill it after it has been shot with a bowfishing point. We also don't use a bangstick. I use the Muzzy Gator Getter head and the tip is pretty sharp but I always file the edges to get them as sharp as possible. It's pretty tough to penetrate the tough hide enough for the barbs to stick. Don't know the state you'll be hunting, but Florida law requires a line to be attached to any arrow shot at an alligator.

• Sitka Gear