Ucsdryder 12-Jul-20
Pop-r 13-Jul-20
Treeline 13-Jul-20
Ucsdryder 13-Jul-20
Brotsky 13-Jul-20
JTreeman 13-Jul-20
Ucsdryder 13-Jul-20
04-Jul-20
Going to my first Total Archery Challenge in glenwood springs next Sunday. My flat brim is on order just in time! Anybody else going or has attended one? I’m looking forward to it! Just fletched another dozen arrows and have been shooting quite a bit between 80-100. Should be a great time.

04-Jul-20
Gods luck John!

04-Jul-20
Are you wearing Sitka or Kuiu? Will your pack be Kifaru?

04-Jul-20
Going to have to look in to that one. After CTAS and CBA cancellations, figured 3-D shoots were off the list for this summer

04-Jul-20
Brad, I believe the approved uniform is either Sitka OR KUIU, but mis-matching camo patterns is frowned upon and mid-matching brands is a big no no!!!

04-Jul-20
Next year for sure 80# prime flat brim kifaru pack and kryptek head to toe lol

04-Jul-20
Fubar, what are you trying to say. I have an 80lb prime and a Kifaru pack! Lol

04-Jul-20
Gonna pass. To spendy and the targets are going to be set too far away...

04-Jul-20
Hey, I’m the only flatbrimmer around here. Good luck!

04-Jul-20
Tavis, you can shoot from wherever you want and they have 3 different courses. The prime course is the long range course, but the others are much closer. The girlfriend is coming and her max is 45 yards.

04-Jul-20
Me too uscdryder lol in fact had I not bought the 80# logic the day before you posted your 80#black I’d own your 80# prime lol I was trying to be stereotypical well except the kryptek gear I guess.

04-Jul-20
I just attended the Total Archery Challenge last weekend in Lead, South Dakota. I definitely didnt fit in with my Eberelstock pack and Puff ball silencers on my bow. I did have on my Kuiu cap though so hopefully I saved face a bit.

In all honesty though it was a great time. I drove 10 hours from Iowa to attend and will do it again next year. (I have cousins in Sturgis so I made it a family trip) Out of the 4 of us, there were 12 broken or lost arrows and one broken bow (accidental dry fire). It was a lot of fun considering normal shoots in Iowa are 20 to 45 yards over flat terrain, on a mowed path. We shot the yeti course and shots averaged 45 to 65. Couple 75 yarders in the mix. We shot before we went and i was shooting fist sized groups at 80..... While I never missed on the course I will say holy hell its a entirely different ball game up there. Anyone looking to hunt the mountains or just having a big challenge, I suggest this shoot. Bring plenty of arrows and water as well. Never seen so many broken, lost or arrows stuck in trees. They make you work for it. Took us about 4 hours and we walked about 4 miles. Only water provided on the course was at shot 19 or 20 out of 25.

04-Jul-20
Apparently in South Dakota Kuiu is the pack of choice.... Saw 1 exo, 1 kifaru, 2 stone glaciers and 6000 kuiu packs.

04-Jul-20
Maybe... Have a bit of scouting to do...

04-Jul-20
Caribou, what brand of boots do I need to wear?

04-Jul-20
Ha! All I saw were the meindl’s on my feet

04-Jul-20
I heard this year they are doing underwear check, and the brand and pattern better match. OR you will be underwear shamed.

04-Jul-20
Just got back from Terry Peak. This is my 4th yr. You'll love it!

04-Jul-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
All Kuiu all the time

04-Jul-20
I’ll be at the Utah event. Unless work screws it up which is always a possibility. Should be fun. The most stressful part is definitely the outfit selection process.

04-Jul-20
Well, you’re gonna need a 6000cu backpack, a couple of tattoos and be sure to film yourself drinking Mountain Ops ignite on the course.

Sounds like a blast though. Enjoy.

04-Jul-20
Looks like fun. I don't get the packs unless its considered training for elk hunting. Do you have to occasionally spend the night on the course unexpectedly or maybe be ready to quarter and pack out a moose 3D target? I usually bring a bow, some arrows and sometimes a pencil to 3D shoots.

04-Jul-20
Were man buns optional this year? Had a buddy go. He said it was a blast.

04-Jul-20
Well, I’ve got a 7800 cu in pack but it’s a bit blood stained and smells like elk blood... That OK? What are we packing?

The man bun ain’t an option. Maybe have to look for a man bun wig or flat brim hat I guess...

Do like KUIU pants but not the shirts so much. Can I wear a First Lite shirt and KUIU pants?

This is sounding really complex and intimidating! But if they let Brotsky in....

05-Jul-20
Tavis, wear just your moccasins and the quiver thong. Nobody will notice the bun or lack thereof.

05-Jul-20
Lol!!!

05-Jul-20
Now that could be very interesting!

05-Jul-20
So I know it’s all in good fun, and I’m certainly willing to take as much as I give. And for the record Troy I’m working on my man bun as we speak.

But this thread (and others like it) seem so confusing to me. Many of the same guys who preach recruitment, bring in the young guys, “our” sport is dying, etc, are on here bashing the young guys for coming out and supporting archery and hunting. These events do more to get new/younger guys (and lots of ladies/girls too!) out and into archery than literally 99% of the guys on this site.

So what is the problem. You don’t like how they dress? You don’t like they brand of drinks they like, the elk tats? Their hair? It sounds like to me you guys are more the problem than the total archery challenge and similar events.

Flame on, the insults are fun even if they are driving the younger guys away from Archery and Bowsite specifically.

—Jim

05-Jul-20
Hell Jim,

Just a lot of back and forth fun with the guys here!

I’ve never been to one of these events and this one is pretty close to home. It sounds like fun!

I’ll try to make it down for a day or two. Rivers should be settled down so might get a little fishing in. Glad to see at least some shooting events carrying on through this Covid mess.

05-Jul-20
Travis, I totally get it, some BS banter can be fun. I’m sure I’ve given a few guys more than I should have. But I’m pretty willing to take a lot too. My point was that’s there are a lot of guys who can’t/won’t, especially new/young guys. If I lived a little closer I would meet up and buy you a drink, and have a few laughs.

Imagine this: young guy goes to TAC with his cousin, has a good time, meets cool people, wants to stick with it. Now the logical next step for most young people now is “get on the internet”. Bowsite is one of the top hits for bow hunting, they open this thread. They quickly find out that either everyone isn’t as cool as they thought, or that these guys really aren’t like me, and even worse don’t like me. Now that can totally not be the case, but I can certainly how a thread like this could be construed as such. And that is all it takes for a lot of young people now days.

I’m not knocking or defending anyone, just pointing out the other side.

—Jim

05-Jul-20
All in fun. I'm raising a flat brimmer of my own. My Dad and I disagreed on a lot things like equipment, dress, tactics, music, haircuts, etc.. Never kept me out of the woods or dulled my desire to be in elk camp with him. Of course back then it was jeans vs surplus BDUs and .308 vs 30-06. :^)

Based on what the trailheads look like here in CO during archery, us old schoolers aren't holding the next generation back either.

05-Jul-20
I did not go this year but, my brother went to the SD event last week and had a blast. He's one of the leads at the archery department of Scheels so, he pretty much is expected to "dress appropriately" at these events. However, back in the day, when we were touring and winning all these type of events, we had the most fun wearing ratty old jeans and T-shirts. Out scoring the walking advertisement guys and $400 camo guys. ;)

05-Jul-20
Hell, even though I shoot a longbow, I have piles of top end camouflage clothes, packs and the best optics money can buy!

Probably need to reduce that pike sometime... Just ask my wife...

Can definitely discuss pros and cons of all the major gear.

Would probably not even mess with keeping or turning in a score. Just enjoy hanging out with a bunch of bowhunters for a day or so.

No matter if they are young or old! Heck, they might even be able to teach this old dog a few new tricks!

05-Jul-20
I think next year I'll wear the brightest Hawaiian shirt and shorts I can find so all the Bowsiters will know who I am. Please come and say hi. :)

05-Jul-20
The girlfriend and I shot the one in SD last weekend. She just moved closer to some of the targets. It was a fun time and I plan to go again next year. The only complaint I have is It took forever to shoot the course. We had a group of 7 people a couple groups ahead of us and it was holding everyone up.

05-Jul-20
I’ve shot the last two years in Utah and have had a great time at both. Like any other event you go to, it’s a mixed bag of people (flatbills, advertisers, you tube celebs, the avg joe). I will say everyone seems to enjoy themselves and you meet people from all over the country. A lot of young kids and new archers go and shoot the kids or locals course. It’s really an event for anyone. Are there egos there? For sure but no more than any other 3D shoot I’ve been to. It’s not a competition shoot, it’s strictly a fun shoot. Good opportunity to network and get deals on gear as well. The man and wife that run it do an exceptional job and are very nice people who just love archery. Some of the shots will test the best of the best and like others said, you can shoot where you want.

05-Jul-20

05-Jul-20
Jtree, I don’t think we have to worry about new archer recruitment out west!

It’s all in good fun. I’ve been wanting to do it for a few years, just didn’t want to travel 10 hours to the nearest one. I’ll take some pictures and post them up.

Tavis, there is a strict no stick bow rule. You can’t come! ;)

05-Jul-20
Hell, I’ll just come and hang out, then!

Missing the summer 3-d gatherings and being around like minded people....

I have gone to my favorite shoot and spent the whole time working in the kitchen just BSing with everyone!

05-Jul-20
Just so you guys know, I wore Kuiu pants and a Sitka T-shirt the first year I went. They let me come back so it’s probably OK! :) This would be a great opportunity to get a bunch of Bowsiters together for a shoot, tell lies, and stay hydrated. Really want to do the event at Big Sky.

05-Jul-20
Brotsky I agree. Maybe next year. The good times sell out quickly. Maybe get a couple groups and go shoot!

05-Jul-20
Brotsky, I had a group of 5 of us for the PA shoot this year (all BS guys), but the Covid messed that all up, they rescheduled but I’ll be in AK hunting Dall sheep, so that made that choice easy ;)

Their reservation system can be pretty frustrating and times go quick. It really makes it hard to get a group together so far ahead and kinda stay organized. And as mentioned above, the courses can go kinda slow sometimes, Seems to be the most common complaint. Groups are supposed to be 5 max, but that doesn’t always happen.

All in all a good time and I’m kinda sad to be missing it this year.

—Jim

05-Jul-20
The easiest way is to have one guy just book the nock times and registrations and then everyone pay him. Good times sell out damn fast. Since they went to that system though it is a far cry better than the “old days”. Those were some LONG waits.

05-Jul-20

caribou77's embedded Photo
caribou77's embedded Photo
One of the many porcupine trees you will encounter. This one on the yeti course. 50 yards across the open chute. Wind blowing down hill at 90 degrees. Only 5” of target showing between two trees. A LOT of broken arrows around this target.

05-Jul-20
So, looking at the info online, do you get a “nock time” for one range and only get to shoot one range or can you shoot all of the ranges?

05-Jul-20
Caribou 77, my buddy just caught the edge of that tree where it had already been shot up. Arrow split the wood and was sunk in the 12! Arrow was undamaged and he tried to play it off like that was his intention. I let him put a 12 on his score card,lol!

05-Jul-20
Joe I have to admit I caught a tiny bit of the tree myself. Luckily I landed perfect as well and my arrow was in good shape.

05-Jul-20
Treeline, you sign up for a "nock time" and then from 1pm to 4 pm its an open shoot. You can shoot any course you want. Not sure what prime times are but 5 am would be perfect to me. We shot at 11:30 and while we only waited on the last 6 targets...it was HOT out. I feel groups of more than 4 should not be allowed. Just like golf they hold up everyone behind them, But thats just my opinion.

05-Jul-20
5:00 is light enough to get started now and the temperature would be perfect! 1-4 is gonna be warm....

Need to do this up at Ski Cooper near Leadville at +11K this time of year...

05-Jul-20
I just looked at weather in glenwood. I always forget how stinking hot it is there during the summer! It’s going to be a warm day...

06-Jul-20
I attended this year at Lead,SD for the first time. I will never miss again! It was very challenging but enjoyable. I even cooked a bunch of bighead for some flat brimmers on that Friday night. Found out I had more in common with them than I thought! ;)

06-Jul-20

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Scoot, I’ll let Beav borrow mine to see if they grow on him.

06-Jul-20
Beav, you coming out here to Colorado this week?

06-Jul-20
No I have other commitments but my son was wanting to go. Thinking about it next year. Scoot, Brotsky beat me to it! Hopefully they are looking for other pro-staffers.

10-Jul-20
2 days and counting. Went and shot this morning early for the first time in a week. God I was awful. Worst shooting I’ve done in 5 months since setting up the bow.

I did take 3 shots with Broadheads at 60 yards, single volley groups, and with my 125gr german kinetic xl, all 3 holes were within 3”. 4” low, which might have just been from the surface resistance.

10-Jul-20
Gonna miss it this go. Wife has an event on Sunday so got axed for the event.

I would be extremely proud of that kind of shooting UCS! Way outside my range!!! Still need a lot of hard work, time and a little luck to get into range from 60 for me!

10-Jul-20
That’s because you have a string attached to a tree branch!

12-Jul-20
Just got home. What a great time! I HIGHLY recommend going next year. So much fun! Ended up shooting the prime course, closest shot was 27 yards, kneeling to get under the trees, longest shot was 104 on a goat and 102 on a moose. I shot a 208, not sure what that means because I don’t have anything to compare it to. Best part, I didn’t miss any targets and came home with all my arrows!

12-Jul-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Got dumped on the last 5 minutes! Weather was amazing!
Got dumped on the last 5 minutes! Weather was amazing!

12-Jul-20

The arrow companies are going to be busy with orders next week!
The arrow companies are going to be busy with orders next week!

12-Jul-20

My buddy shot it in the neck then the horn and thought it would be funny to point to my arrow! 102.5 yards
My buddy shot it in the neck then the horn and thought it would be funny to point to my arrow! 102.5 yards

12-Jul-20

Wolf! I believe he was about 65 yards.
Wolf! I believe he was about 65 yards.

12-Jul-20

Bedded ram under the trees.
Bedded ram under the trees.

13-Jul-20
In the 12 is in the 12 I figure.

13-Jul-20
Looks like a lot of fun! Hope to make it to one of those. What kind of vendors were there?

13-Jul-20

I need a backyard like this.
I need a backyard like this.
Kifaru, pse, nock on, rmef, badass gear, sheepfit insoles, mtn ops, probably a couple more I can’t think of off the top of my head. Not a lot of vendors. Not sure if it was Covid related or because it was Sunday, or maybe just not a ton of vendors participate.

13-Jul-20
Vendors vary slightly by the event locale as some are more local than others. This is the first time the event was in this location as I understand it, that may have also played a role in lower attendance from vendors.

13-Jul-20
The vendor area in Park City was pretty impressive IMO. As other said I suspect it varies by location.

—Jim

13-Jul-20
I’m already looking forward to next year. Going to camp and hit it up a couple days. The courses are very different from the sounds of it.

• Sitka Gear