txhunter58 15-Jul-20
txhunter58 15-Jul-20
x-man 15-Jul-20
Skippy 15-Jul-20
wytex 15-Jul-20
JohnMC 15-Jul-20
Skippy 23-Jul-20
04-Jul-20
Are clarifier peeps( just the peep with a clarifier lens no magnification on sight) illegal in CO?

04-Jul-20
No

04-Jul-20
So a verifier is illegal and a clarifier is legal?

04-Jul-20
I thought both were illegal

04-Jul-20
As long as it does not magnify it is legal.

04-Jul-20
Are reading glasses illegal too?

04-Jul-20
"Scopes and electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted nocks on arrows. Recording devices such as cameras or video recorders attached to bows may be used as long as they do not cast light toward the target or aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow"

Is a clarifier a scope? I don't know. I know I have a 1X scope on a rifle and it would be a scope by about anyone's definition.

05-Jul-20
A verifier magnifies the pins, A clarifier magnifies the target. So is a verifier legal?

05-Jul-20
Actually a clarifier De-Magnifies the target and makes it smaller. It's sole purpose is to clear-up the blurriness of a magnified scope lens at the sight.

Neither of them will magnify or make the target seem closer.

I can't think of a single scenario where anyone would want to use a clarifier by itself without a scope lens at the sight.

05-Jul-20
I have a verifier on my bow that clears up the fuzzy pins the same as my reading glasses make fuzzy words clear, is that not magnification?

05-Jul-20
Verifiers are legal everywhere I've been. They do Not magnify the pins, they simply make your pins clear to see them, just like having prescription glasses. Verifiers come in different strengths depending on ones eyes just like glasses or contacts, they do not magnify.

ElkNut

05-Jul-20
I have a verifier on my bow that clears up the fuzzy pins the same as my reading glasses make fuzzy words clear, is that not magnification?

05-Jul-20
Skippy, no it's not. It simply clears your pins. It does not make your pins appear larger or smaller as a magnifying glass would by holding it closer or farther away.

ElkNut

05-Jul-20
If it makes the pins larger, it magnify s. If it only makes them clearer then it does not.

05-Jul-20
Yes, a verifier definitely magnifies exactly the same as my reading glasses. But only at close range, more like “computer” glasses which are designed for almost arm’s length. I use a 1.5X verifier and can see my pins pretty good, but without it the pin is just a hazy little halo. The target is no better, but it’s not better without the verifier. That is to say, it doesn’t seem to magnify the target.

The verifiers that I use are sold by magnification strengths.

05-Jul-20
I've been using a verifier for about 15 years (??) - hunted in MN, CO, ID, WY, and MT with it and believe they are legal. For me it does not magnify (enlarge) the sight pins, simply make them more clear.

At what point would a warden check your peep.

I guess this would be a good question for an optometrist.

05-Jul-20
Are contact lenses still legal in Colorado?

05-Jul-20
The regs posted above specify SCOPES. A Scope is a system of SEVERAL lenses which invert and rectify an image (and crosshairs or some functional equivalent, as a rule).

Not that it bothers me in the slightest to think about banning technological advances of about ANY description from Archery season, but a single lens is a single lens; whether you mount it in a peep or in glasses frames or apply it directly to your eyeball, it’s no different.

05-Jul-20
Whose to know

07-Jul-20
What Elknut1 said! I've used a Verifier peep for about 8 years now, including in CO. It does not magnify anything, it only corrects vision defects.

>>>>-------->

07-Jul-20
Well made a call to CPW, according to the supervisor they are not legal. They have been brought up at commission meetings and have decided they are not legal for bowhunting. I would talk with a GW and ask specifically about them. Call the Hunt Planner number and ask for a supervisor also.

07-Jul-20
If there wasn’t any magnification, it wouldn’t clear up your pins. If you need it, use it. Nobody is looking at your peep.

07-Jul-20
I just sent them a email. If they are not legal a lot of guys are breaking the law. I will post a response when I get it.

07-Jul-20
At some point does it really matter? Is there a CO on the planet that will be that much of a stickler to actually cite someone for this? If so, they need to send that CO to work for the Seattle PD.

07-Jul-20
There used to be one that anal in co he recently lost his job for it.

07-Jul-20
Right Pat, all any C.O. has to do is look through one at full draw to see that it(verifier) is NOT a scope that magnifies the target in any way. No different than glasses or contact lens. Clarifiers without a front lens in the sight will actually make the target smaller so, I don't see any hunters trying to use one of them.

07-Jul-20
Reading glasses DO magnify. If you don’t believe that turn them vertical and hold at arms length. Look at something in the distance thru One of the lenses with your right eye and at the same object at the same time with your left eye, but not thru the lens. You will see two images side by side and the lens Image will be slightly bigger.

That’s what the power on readers means: progressive magnification.

And it is different than wearing contacts or glasses. They are not attached to/ not part of the bow.

Sorry, but sounds like they are not legal to me. It’s stupid If it’s not legal but it is what it is

07-Jul-20
It's obvious who on here knows the difference between a clarifier and a verifier and who does not. It's also obvious who has actually used them and who has not.

07-Jul-20
I’m definitely using a verifier. I didn’t realize there was a difference until I started this thread.

07-Jul-20
I used one last year in CO and will be using one this year as well.

07-Jul-20
Will some clarify what a verifier is and verify what a clarifier does.

07-Jul-20
Will some clarify what a verifier is and verify what a clarifier does.

07-Jul-20
To be clear I asked specifically about both clarifiers and verifiers. I also explained in detail what they do, they had an answer, not legal. If true , then you risk losing a hard earned trophy if checked by a GW. My best advice would be to get in touch with the head of law enforcement for CP&W to ask. I could not find that contact info online. That person should know what their GWs are told for enforcement purposes.

07-Jul-20
Just like Colorado has a maximum 80% letoff on bows.

I bet guys have 85% and still go hunting

07-Jul-20
Good points guys! Seriously the Verifier isn't like having a scope or does it have an animal appear closer, it just clears up your pins, that's it!

ElkNut

07-Jul-20
I get what Bou was doing...punny...both times

08-Jul-20
If Verifiers are illegal, it’s a stupid law that needs to be rewritten. Like zero power scopes on a muzzleloader, unless you have a ranch tag.

08-Jul-20
If all the regs say is “no scopes”, then it should be legal.

08-Jul-20
Check with the authorities, if they are illegal and you get caught using one it's on you, not the arresting officer. Knowingly breaking the law and getting away with it doesn't make it right. Percy

08-Jul-20
So for the guys like Percy who never drive one mile over the speed limit, I would argue that from GF"s definition of "scope", that you would be a moron to think the two are the same thing.

08-Jul-20
Hey smurph, read the post! Never said I never broke the law, just saying don't blame the arresting officer if you get gaught!!! Percy

09-Jul-20
I've been wondering if those peeps work good in a hunting situation. I wear readers and pins are getting slightly blurry. I'm a little off topic but just curious how it would be considered a scope if it doesn't contain the sighting device (cross hairs/ red dot).

09-Jul-20
They work great.

They are a magnifier, Colorado allows scopes with zero magnification I believe. I’m not going to worry about it. If I get checked and cited, so be it. Heck my license says I’m still 6’, 200#! Getting back to the 200 mark, but not 6’. Another violation.

09-Jul-20
They work great.

They are a magnifier, Colorado allows scopes with zero magnification I believe. I’m not going to worry about it. If I get checked and cited, so be it. Heck my license says I’m still 6’, 200#! Getting back to the 200 mark, but not 6’. Another violation.

10-Jul-20
Probably be checked about the time they start checking bow letoff and figure out half the hunters are shooting illegal bows now. Then again some over zealous new WCO trying to make an impression might decide to make a point of it.

13-Jul-20
+1 Pat

14-Jul-20
10 days after sending email I just received this response. To my surprise they are calling it a scope and illegal. Lots of guys in violation I reckon.

Response:

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting us at Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about the use of a verifier during the archery season.

Currently the use of a verifier would not be legal as it is considered a scope, and scopes are considered illegal.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-- Kate Oetheimer Hunt Planner

14-Jul-20
I have struggled with blurry pins for years, went to a one pin slider so only one blurry spot to look at, really a elongated flair. Had to try and remember which part of it to use as the actual pin. Got a verifier a few months ago (had known they are not legal) and wow I can actually see my pin, my groups are tight again. I'll take my chances with getting caught as opposed to wounding an animal because of my eyes. Have considered quitting but for now I'm keeping the verifier And for the uninformed, a verifier will make the target blurry if you use more power than needed, so no it does not magnify the target in a beneficial manner.

14-Jul-20
I use 1.0 power reading glasses to shoot open sights with my muzzleloader. Front sight clear, target slightly blurry.

14-Jul-20
I wouldn't risk it if you can do without. My experience in CO has been landowners are anus holes and the CPW enforcement supports them. Have had two very bitter experiences over technicalities just like this. Now that they have told you it's illegal you already have two strikes against you.

15-Jul-20
That would never hold up in court if they use the word scope in the regs instead of lens. A scope by definition requires the use of multiple lens to magnify an object down-range. In order to be defined as a scope, it would need a second lens.

The person here "Kate" is generalizing anything with a lens as a scope. You might get cited(doubtful), but it would not hold up.

15-Jul-20
“Scope: A magnifier of images of distant objects”

I can find no definition of “scope” that defines it as having multiple lenses.

It’s a dumb law

15-Jul-20
“Scope: A magnifier of images of distant objects”

I can find no definition of “scope” that defines it as having multiple lenses.

It’s a dumb law

15-Jul-20
Hunting Scope Definition: "The most important parts of the hunting scope are the lenses. The larger lens is the objective lens. The objective lens is on the end of the scope farthest from the hunter's eye. Its purpose is to transmit light back to the ocular lens, which is the lens closest to your eye. The part of the scope that houses the objective lens is the objective bell, while the section containing the ocular lens is the eyepiece."

It is not a scope with only one lens or eye piece.

15-Jul-20
You can call it whatever you want the only opinion that matters is that of the game warden.

15-Jul-20
Skippy is right. The hunt planner I talked with had no idea so I requested a supervisor, the answer was quick as they stated the question was brought up to the commission. They consider it an unfair advantage over the wildlife. The GW will support the commissions stance on this. You may win in court or you may lose your bow and any animals you harvested and hunting privileges in 48 states. Worth it to ya' ? Shooting glasses are available and legal.

15-Jul-20
I would like to see more restrictions on equipment that would help keep bow hunting a more close range game. With that said the only person this rules hurts is most older hunters that just can't see as well as they use to. Maybe something the CBA could take up?

23-Jul-20
Don’t know why this thing keeps double posting, hours after I made the original post.

• Sitka Gear