IdyllwildArcher 05-Jul-20
JTreeman 05-Jul-20
Matt 05-Jul-20
MQQSE 05-Jul-20
MQQSE 05-Jul-20
altitude sick 05-Jul-20
05-Jul-20

altitude sick's Link
Allen Bollen, of the BC mountain goat company explains the rest step very well in this video.

05-Jul-20
Sorry guys

KUIU Mountain Academy 2019 - Allen Bolen: The Secret to Hiking All Day

05-Jul-20
I can't find the vid?

05-Jul-20

05-Jul-20
That's very interesting and I will most definitely be giving this a try this September!

05-Jul-20
IT WORKS! Exceeding your maximum heart rate too long and you won’t last long. Lactic acid builds up in the muscles Leading to cramping and muscle soreness the next day.

Keep your heart rate below your max. For an average person it’s usually around 170

For extreme inclines and altitudes a heart rate monitor is not a bad idea if you haven’t spent a lot of time in the steep and high.

People may think your silly watching a heart rate monitor while climbing.

But while they are sucking wind you’ll will be cruising on by.

And by day 5 they will be spent

Save it for when it’s time to $h!+ and git.

05-Jul-20
Great subject to discuss and thanks for posting. I’m curious about others experience with the rest step. How long did it take to get use to? How much has it helped you? How long have you been using this method?

Thanks again for starting this thread.

05-Jul-20
The "Sherpa Shuffle".....

05-Jul-20
Just tried this on a local hill, it is slow, I can see how it would work though for sure

05-Jul-20
I believe Dwight Schuh did a version of this as he got older.

05-Jul-20
This has been known in the mountaineering world for a long time.

In the flatter stuff, its very easy. It's when you're carrying weight and going straight up that you really need to pace yourself. Your baseline cardiac function has a ton to do with this and is why I devote all my exercise to cardiopulmonary health and almost zero to muscle bulk creation, which just adds more weight to carry which burns you out that much quicker (although I am going to build up my quads a bit more this year to aid me in those times when I need to make quick descents in a stalking situation.

I've said this before and always get scorn from the body builders who want to justify their cosmetic exercise.

05-Jul-20
Idyll- how do you prepare? What exercises?

05-Jul-20
Full body workout with a goal of cardiopulmonary fitness to keep all muscle groups toned (but not adding muscle bulk), at least once a week (usually spread out over a few days). The rest of my exercise, the bulk of it anyways, is all elliptical, running, hiking, or stair machine. Can't do bike anymore.

05-Jul-20
Ike, are you saying you forgot how to ride a bike!?!?! ;)

—Jim

05-Jul-20
More likely he can no longer lift it on and off the rack due to the effectiveness of his upper body bulk minimization strategy. ;-)

05-Jul-20
I just showed my son this a few days ago. We are going on a double Dall hunt in a few weeks. He’s 20 and just looked at me like, WTH....

05-Jul-20
I just showed my son this a few days ago. We are going on a double Dall hunt in a few weeks. He’s 20 and just looked at me like, WTH....

05-Jul-20
MQQSE, A 20 yr old will most likely charge up 200 yards stop, suck wind and try to talk.

charge up 200 yards stop, suck wind. And repeat.

Sometimes it’s unavoidable to head off an animal.

But when just Climbing, force yourself to “pressure breath”. And slow down. It will pay off in a few days.

I was just impressed how Bolen&Lewis really push the technique. And some say they know what their doing.

I’ve been up quite a few over 14k 3 Peaks over 20,000 ft, And 1 peak over 25,000 ft.

Beware the guide that thinks He’s impressing people running a hunter up the hill many times showing how good of shape HE the guide is in.

What is impressive is a guide that knows how to get his hunter to the top day in and day out. Without killing him.

• Sitka Gear