Mule Power 07-Jul-20
Treeline 07-Jul-20
Huntcell 07-Jul-20
WapitiBob 07-Jul-20
LINK 07-Jul-20
Brotsky 07-Jul-20
BULELK1 08-Jul-20
05-Jul-20
I realize it's a long way off yet, but I just purchased my WY PP today - hopefully draw WY with-in next couple years.

05-Jul-20
Me too!

05-Jul-20
I have 5 points for elk, deer and pronghorn; planning on going in 22 and have never been. Hoping to find a Bowsiter to hook up with

05-Jul-20
Jasper, you’ve never elk hunted before or you’ve never elk hunted Wyoming??

05-Jul-20
I’m on point number 5 this year and my son is on point 2. Another couple years and we’ll put in for a unit.

05-Jul-20
Bought my point. Hopefully going within a year or two.

05-Jul-20
Never hunted Wyoming. I’ve killed elk in CO, NM and BC. I have never hunted antelope so that will be a true first for me

05-Jul-20
I’ve got max elk points. Waiting for right time and place

05-Jul-20
I drew elk this year....does that mean I cannot purchase a bonus point right now for next year? In essence I'll go into next year with 0. Is that correct?

05-Jul-20
SBH, you are correct.

05-Jul-20
Sitting on 12 points currently. I am thinking about using them next year so three friends and I will drag a general on a good piece of private land.

05-Jul-20
Thanks Greg

05-Jul-20
I begrudgingly bought elk and antelope points. Couldn’t believe it got worse this year. I have 12 and 9 points respectively now.

So sick of the point creep and now the BS policy of holding our money for so long.

06-Jul-20
Just bought my 6th point, point creep sucks.

06-Jul-20
I will buy my 4th point for elk this summer. I will be retiring in 2-3 years and am trying to come up with a plan. DIY for the whole season or go guided. Can 7-8 pts. get you into a decent unit? Leanin towards DIY.

06-Jul-20
I can’t seem to accumulate a point! Drew a tag last year. Drew a tag this year. Terrible luck on banking points though! ;^)

06-Jul-20
Part of the point creep problem is that most guys are just building points and not using them. I am two points behind max and that is what I am doing until I'm ready to hunt when I retire in a few years.

06-Jul-20
Man, some of you sure think tomorrow is a guarantee.

I’d be hunting elk as often as I could

06-Jul-20
Great areas to be had with 10 PP or less.

06-Jul-20
bought mine today. 7 for elk 6 for deer. Hoping on 2022...

06-Jul-20
does anyone find it odd that WY doesn't email you a confirmation when you buy your points or apply for a tag?

06-Jul-20
10 ELk and 6 Deer going into next year

06-Jul-20
I will have 6 for everything except moose going into next year. I’m hoping to use my antelope and elk points next year, but judging by point creep this year I will be 2 years behind for both in the units I want to draw.

06-Jul-20
I happily cashed in elk point in 2017. I hopped back on the elk PP train. It is antelope that I have no clue. I just bought my 7th ANT PP yesterday. When I go, I want to go with bow DIY. But elk hunting is my passion and it is always in the way of antelope. No ANT units researched and not sure what I am going to do or even when I am going to get there.

06-Jul-20
I have been lucky to draw most years for elk as a non-resident. Found out this year after not drawing that you have to go out and purchase point. They are not automatically awarded after an un-successful draw? This does not make much sense to me. Purchased my point today.

06-Jul-20
Frontier it’s been that way for a couple years now.

I’ll have 8 deer points going into 2021.... and zero come 22. It’s time...

06-Jul-20
Got mine to, 10 moose, 10 elk 8 deer....kind of in no mans land but with point averaging maybe some day I'll take a friend or two on a general tag.

06-Jul-20
I'll get mine in a few months. I like to hold on to my money as long as possible.

07-Jul-20
I’m with cnelk... I don’t know how you guys can sit on Wyoming elk points. That’s the state to burn em and come back as often as possible. There are plenty if other states to wait on while you enjoy killing bulls there AND learn & expand on your area.

07-Jul-20
Joe and BK, It may not be just sitting on points for some people. In my case I’ve been buying points in preparation for retirement at the end of this year. I’ve been hunting locally and going on other hunts as well. I’m booked for an Alaska hunt for for 2021 and then plan on going to Wyoming as much as I can; buying myself a new truck and pull behind camper and going on a few extended adventures every year. Will likely start out with pronghorn as I’ve never killed one . I’ve killed elk so will continue accumulating points until I’m ready, probably 2023 or 4. Figured I’d get my feet wet with pronghorn and deer and learn the Wyoming ropes a little first. I have other bucket list hunts to plan as well....just love the opportunity to build points, I know it will pay off when the time is right. God bless! John

07-Jul-20
"I like to hold on to my money as long as possible."

So does Wyoming. ;-)

07-Jul-20
^^^ Haha! Thats some funny shit right there :)

07-Jul-20
Wyoming has too many good bulls in general units not to hunt as often as possible. Apply every year and pick up a point if you strike out. Arizona and Utah are for banking points.

07-Jul-20
Problem is, you have to bank points just to get a Gen tag now

07-Jul-20
Not really. Make your circle of partners bigger. I have several who aren’t regular elk hunters. So every year I hunt with guys who have enough points to add me to a party app.

The other reason I’d rather hunt general units is I don’t care to wait X number of years to hunt a unit I don’t have any experience in. I can do as well where I hunt as a lot of guys can with their limited quota tags because I know my area.

07-Jul-20
Tough for me to free up the schedule enough to repeatedly hunt any one state/species every year. There's simply way too many species and states and countries and hunts to choose from, and only so much free time to do them all ;-)

07-Jul-20
I try to burn my WY elk points every year :)

07-Jul-20
Here's some food for thought : Had a zoom meeting earlier this week with the Game and Fish for the conservation roundtable and a couple things some may find interesting:

Unofficially, total hunting applications were up 18,000 over last year.

The only place NR applications declined some was elk, primarily cow/calf applications.

NR pronghorn applicants were up 8900, Resident applicants up 5600.

Resident fishing license sales were up 12,000 total which results in a $200,000 bump in fishing license sales.

On the GF revenue side, because Wyoming GF is only funded via license fees, PR/DJ, etc. there will be no loss of revenue or cuts to the GF budget. The GF is voluntarily choosing to make some cuts in a few places, seasonal/contract workers, equipment purchases, and grizzly bear management...all around 5-10% reductions.

Overall pretty good news from the Department considering the circumstances and what's going on

07-Jul-20
If I saved a bunch of points I’d feel pressure once I finally had a tag in my pack. I’m going to burn my Wyoming deer points next year and I’ve been nervous about the hunt since last year. As far as other species and states go that doesn’t cross my mind. I’m an elk hunter first and foremost and Wyoming is my home away from home.

07-Jul-20
Yep, Wyoming certainly likes to hold on to my money! Points for elk, deer, antelope and sheep for me. Points for elk, deer, and antelope for the boy. Gave up on moose a couple years back looking at the trends so at least not wasting money there.

07-Jul-20

07-Jul-20
There's no free lunch, those "filler tags" get removed from the special gen licenses on the back end when they back fill to get our 7,250 full price Elk licenses.

07-Jul-20
Some may disagree but I’m building points and still hunting elk every year. Maybe in a few years when I have 10 and still can’t draw a good tag I’ll partner with mule, cnelk and Midwest and go hunt a general unit, lol. Might have enough to throw in Brotsky too. Of course by then a general tag might take 4 points.

07-Jul-20
Link, I'm on the same program. A guy can hunt elk pretty much every year if you play point roulette and don't chase the hard to draw tags. We're on a rotation with WY, CO, MT, and ID that guarantees a tag in our pocket every year in one of those states. We also apply in NM but apparently they treat my app like Pelosi treats the SOTU speech as soon as they receive it so no worries about NM :) ID starting to sell out earlier also makes me nervous, just as long as it sells out AFTER WY runs their draw my plan will stay in effect.

08-Jul-20
Thanks for the intel wytex, interesting reading.

I'm on Gen Any elk tag 13 out of the last 14 years, 'cheapie fee' is my secret!! haha

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear