mgmicky 06-Jul-20
DonVathome 06-Jul-20
wytex 06-Jul-20
splitlimb13 06-Jul-20
OFFHNTN 06-Jul-20
welka 06-Jul-20
Buskill 06-Jul-20
05-Jul-20
I’ve very little experience with guided or semi guided hunts in the American West. In an area that’s a tough draw for a bull elk tag ,what’s a typical range of rates for a drop camp that would include an outfitter guaranteed tag. This area is pretty decent but definitely not a major trophy zone by any means. Going in on horseback , outfitter provides everything but the food and of course he packs you out. I’m familiar with the exact area of this potential camp and it definitely holds elk. I don’t doubt good game will be close at hand.

05-Jul-20
I'm not to sure what you mean by outfitter guaranteed tag. In New Mexico I've seen them range from 1500 a person to 3500 a person. Depending on the unit ,and or area of the unit you are talking about. I've seen drop camp services provide a camp and in reach but no more than that as far as equipment or gear. This is just the experience I have with drops I'm sure there are plenty out there.

05-Jul-20
Kill rate is usually very low on drop camps.

05-Jul-20
What I mean by outfitter guaranteed tag is this: if an individual wants a tag to hunt bull elk in this area it’s a draw. Very low odds. An outfitter in that area has a few tags that are given to him by the state for that area. It’s not a draw, he will have the tag if you book.

05-Jul-20
I’m really interested in what people’s experiences have been concerning cost. I’m not interested in their success rates or even if they enjoyed the experience. I’m only asking about what it cost.

05-Jul-20
Are you talking about the USA? That's not how it works. Some states have landowner tags that are procured by guides.

And there's not many states that have drop camps because you can drive everywhere you hunt. Mostly CO and most of those tags are OTC. A few in NM. A few in WY. Possibly a couple in NV.

Drop camp + great tag, much less Drop camp + great tag that you can just buy, usually don't go together.

Really, the only place I can imagine that combination of requirements would be 16B in NM and maybe the Jarbidge in NV, but those would be LO tags. They're going to cost a ton.

05-Jul-20
$6000

05-Jul-20
Very smart Ike! NM does have several units that drop camps are offered . Unfortunately not offered in the way the o.p. is stating. Which is why a specific state should be mentioned. In NM a uw tag in 16b is stupid expensive 16+17k.

05-Jul-20
If you are looking at the drop camp price alone - from $1,000 to $3,000 depending on where you are going. Might be higher in some places.

Call and talk to some of the outfitters in the area to get a feel for what they charge.

Landowner tags run the gamut for cost and hard to guess what they will run. The really good ones will be very expensive...

05-Jul-20
2k plus tag worth

05-Jul-20
You mentioned this is a tough-to-draw elk unit with decent quality hunting, so you may be paying for that factor. BTW not sure what state, but if this is a Colorado landowner voucher, then that also entitles you to hunt all of the private land on the associated ranch.

05-Jul-20
Splitlimb13, you may be confusing 16b with 16A. 16b LO rags are considerably less than that. In fact I know of a very good outfit that does hunt and tag for $7500 on private land in 16b. As far as cost, we have a Bowsite member currently offering a Colorado semi guided hunt with LO tag for considerably under $3000. Link below.

05-Jul-20

SteveB's Link

06-Jul-20
3 of us went to CO for a drop camp in 2017. Outfitter charged us $2K each, and that didn’t include tags or anything else.

06-Jul-20
You will pay for good elk hunting. Period. Cheap = it is bad 99.9% of the time. NM has the cheapest LO tags, good units are $8,000 and up - if you can find one. Access landlocked public ground? If it is good elk expect the same price. You cannot hunt elk that are not there. The best bang for your buck is buy the most expensive LO tag you can afford. No guide no drop camp (not needed). Elk are not that hard to hunt if you are in shape.

It breaks my hear to see guys hire $4k guides to hunt elk in OTC units. You are far better off spending that on a LO tag. Again the bet guide in the world cannot produce elk that are not there and older bulls that exist about as often as bigfoot.

Your best bet yet is to draw a tag.

The "exception" to my rule is NM guided tags - outfitters charge little to no premium to hire them and get into the guided draw. Better odds - but still LOW. Archery elk look at 52 M guided.

Feel free to PM me if you are in shape and serious.

06-Jul-20
You don't need a drop camp, or outfitter or LO tags to have a good hunt. Lots of good elk tags to be had without paying out the nose.

06-Jul-20
SteveB , 16a as well. Not a ton of lo tags in 16b but the couple I have seen that are unit wide were 16000 and sold for 14000 after said and done. Hardly any uw tags given there.

06-Jul-20
I had a great drop camp hunt in CO 2 years ago in an area that took 5 points to draw for $1,800.

06-Jul-20
There are still enough outfitters that do drop camps. They are less than regular camps and usually less than $4000. You really need help finding the good ones so look up Mule Power or Bow and Arrow Adventures and they can help you. Be careful on drop camps in states with wolves as you can walk into elkless territory real easy unless you have great and recent intel from outfitter.

06-Jul-20
Thanks to those that actually answered the question properly.

• Sitka Gear