pav 10-Jul-20
dallsheepstkr 10-Jul-20
drycreek 10-Jul-20
Bou'bound 11-Jul-20
Dale06 11-Jul-20
Bou'bound 12-Jul-20
rooster 13-Jul-20
08-Jul-20
...........for patronizing the local archery shop even if other options exist that may be more convenient and economical? Should we been doing our part, regardless, to keep these operations in business and available in the best interest of the sport?

Thoughts

08-Jul-20
Very few around here cater to traditional archery. I do try to utilize the vendors at some of the bigger traditional shoots. I do agree with patronizing locally when able. Does supporting Goodwill count for camo clothes count? The old USA stuff is long enough in the sleeves......

08-Jul-20
Maybe. Depends on the shop, the owner, and what they do to support archery, bowhunting, and the community. I'll always pay a little more to support a local business.....within reason.

08-Jul-20
I do whenever i can but since i shoot a recurve, aluminum arrows and feathers there is not a lot available or much i need at local archery dealers.

08-Jul-20
Same as solo hunter19, lucky that The Footed Shaft is 45 mn. from where I live. Just got back from Alhmens Gun Shop about 60 mis away, it has a in house gunsmith and a lot of fire arms and ammo, that sits out in the country, an amazing place.

08-Jul-20
Yes. I give the 2 local archery shops numerous opportunities to earn my business.

One is doing pretty good. The other not so much.

08-Jul-20
If I had no use for the shop, replaced my own strings etc than no I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t worry about it. However if I want that shop there when I need a string put on then you bet, I feel responsible for doing what I can to keep them in business. Even if that means I pay an extra $50 for the bow I purchase every five years.

My attitude has also evolved. I live in a rural county with a small tax base. If I want my kids to have enough friends in town to make a ball team then I also need to support local jobs. If I want my county services done well then I need to try to keep as much money as I can in county. Kinda like shopping American made just on a smaller scale. If there’s one thing that most of us should have learned the passed few months, it’s that keeping goods and services close to home is a good thing.

08-Jul-20
The “local” shop with any archery stuff is 25 miles away. They do not have anything I can use. They cater to compounds.

The closest archery shop with anything useful is one of the best in the country but is 170 miles away. They are family owned and run. They have about anything for traditional and compound bows that a guy could need and give back a lot to the sport. I absolutely try to buy anything I can from them to support their business.

08-Jul-20
I’ll buy some stuff there. Especially if the prices are similar. I’ll pay a little more, but at times they’re 50-100% more.

08-Jul-20
Always try to buy locally

08-Jul-20
I will add if the prices are so high that I can drive 100 miles one way in a V10 and buy a steak dinner and still be money ahead on every day items then I don’t feel bad about doing it. I’ll pay a little extra for shingles and lumber at my local lumber company but I’m not giving them 30% extra. Now for them to stock the widget that they sell once every five years I’ll pay handsomely. Because when I need it I don’t want to drive to get it and the mom and pop shop will open its doors for me on Sunday if I need it.

08-Jul-20
Very little 'local' and as stated above primarily centered around compounds. I divide most of my purchases between Lancaster and 3 Rivers.

08-Jul-20
I have an incredible shop 35 min from my house, Smoky Valley Shooting Sports. Off the hook intelligent helpful guys. I don’t do stuff I used to do because they do it better and at a fair price. They are usually at the same price, or no more than 5% above the Internet guys. So I go out of my way to support them!

08-Jul-20
Yes, I think its important. If there were more gun shops and archery ranges the world would be a better place.

08-Jul-20
I try to, but it's their responsibility to offer a value proposition worth paying for, not mine. I am also in business and in no way would I expect people to spend more at my place simply because "I am small and I am local." There are competitive advantages to being small and local, and if I'm not smart enough to leverage them and make that work, then I don't deserve their money.

08-Jul-20
I’ll never darken the door of our most local shop again but there’s a few within 2 hours that I try to support when possible.

08-Jul-20
Our local shop has nothing, it's terrible. The closest archery shop that knows how to work on a bow is 7 hours away. I buy most everything online but I wish I had a reliable shop nearby to shoot at, work on bows at, etc.

08-Jul-20
We are lucky, there are two really good archery shops in town. I have bought many completely set up bows and arrows from them. I like to fletch arrows and usually buy fletching supplies online from Lancaster or somewhere, a lot bigger selection of those things than local.

08-Jul-20
I did...until the owner closed the doors. Then, I bought some of his equipment and set up my own archery shop in the garage. Not a business mind you, bought the equipment for my own use. Of course, family and friends figure it out pretty quickly.

There is a new shop in town, but after years of working on my own bows, I have never felt the need to set foot in there. Good guys I'm told.

08-Jul-20
Nope, three nearby and not a one carries crap for traditional archery so I do everything online.

08-Jul-20
I buy so seldom It makes no difference. I do prefer to buy locally when I can.

08-Jul-20
I do. Sorta. I like small businesses and diverse businesses (archery, tackle, country store, grocery etc...) run on a local level. Frankly, I could buy some things for less online or at a big store, but still opt to buy them and spend a bit extra. Heck, one store I literally buy a few things at any time I'm in the area even if I really dont need stuff (it's a little country store, Ill buy some home made food, maybe a coffee etc). I view this, essentially, like targeted donations. I want these folks to make a living, and still be there in years, so I contribute.

Now, in many cases a local archery shop doesnt have what I am looking for. I may see if they can order it, and if not, I may well do that for some items. So I'm not saying that I'm only about local businesses. Just that I try to support them whenever possible, even if it's really more of a donation than drive to buy a specific thing.

08-Jul-20
If it’s a good shop, I will pay more to buy my stuff there. And I have a good shop, less than five miles from my house.

08-Jul-20
I do all of my own bow work and build all of my own arrows. I do stop in the local shop to shoot and to purchase small archery items like nocks, field points, fletching, stuff like that. I could get it cheaper online or elsewhere but do feel like I should do something to help them out where possible. These shops are the lifeblood of archery and many folks have learned the sport in a local shop. Good to have them around.

08-Jul-20
"Do you feel responsible for patronizing the local archery shop even if other options exist that may be more convenient and economical?"

We can also ask.......

Do you feel responsible for patronizing the local Quickie Oil Change Shop even if other options exist that may be more convenient and economical?

We can also ask.......

Do you feel responsible for patronizing the local car wash even if other options exist that may be more convenient and economical?

We can also ask.........

Do you feel responsible for patronizing the local lawn service guy even if other options exist that may be more convenient and economical?

We can also ask.......

Do you feel responsible for patronizing the local barber shop even if other options exist that may be more convenient and economical?

The direction I'm heading with this is the question can be asked about alot of local businesses and who the person being asked is. The local businesses are there to cater to certain customers/markets who need the service being offered. If you are the self-supporting type you wouldn't need the service. If you know how to work on your bow, your car, or have someone to cut your hair (or you don't have alot of hair!), you likely won't need many of those services. If there is something you can't do then you would need the service.

WRT to the archery shop.....I think many folks who've been playing the game for a while know how to work on their archery equipment. That isn't a bad thing if you hunt in the bush where there are no archery shops. If you don't know how to work on your archery equipment or fletch up your arrows....then you will need the services of the bow shop. You would be their target customer. Other than making the strings and cables....I can do everything else to my bows. If I were to pay the bow shop to install my peep, fletch my arrows or time my cams, I'd feel a little inadequate. I do not feel an obligation to pay someone else for something I can do myself. That attitude might involve some old school pride more so than spending the money at the local bow shop. That would apply to changing my truck's oil or maybe washing it too.

Now....if I need a new bow and the local bow shop has a certain bow i want, then it would make sense to haggle with the bow shop to get it from them. I would likely do my own work on it so I can "learn" the bow and be self-supporting. I probably wouldn't be a target customer for the bow shop. One local bow shop has been there for many years so I know they have a good customer base and are probably smart business owners. The newest bow shop here is a full service shop including a 3D range plus they do firearms. They are always busy the few times I have been there.

08-Jul-20
Yes as long as they are not price gouging... I'll pay more for the service but not more than 5-10%.

08-Jul-20
The reponsibilty is actually on the retailer. If they are running their business correctly you as a consumer will prefer to shop there. Service, product knowledge, product diversity, competitive pricing, marketing etc.. I listed service first for a reason.

I own a couple of country stores. I really enjoy interacting with my customers and offering them unique, quality products. My employees are all friendly, knowledgable and customer service oriented.

08-Jul-20
Thank you to all who give us an opportunity to earn your business. We specialize in traditional archery and Olympic recurves at Ohio Premier Archery in NE Ohio. We, of course do a great deal of compound business as well. Traditional Archery is wildly popular here. Also We will negotiate when a customer finds a deal online. Hard to match at times but a compromise is good for all. Wishing you all a safe and successful season. G

08-Jul-20
Will have to add your business to my list to check when looking for specific items. I like your attitude, Guardian!

08-Jul-20
I support both my local shops as much as I can, whether that be a new string put on or a dozen new arrows. In the Winter, I will shoot the indoor range at one frequently. Always nice to have a valued resource close by.

08-Jul-20
Not really the local shop, as I don't know them, and it's not really an archery only shop. They have a small archery section, and I do like to buy there if possible. But I don't buy much besides broadheads. Some other stuff, but it's usually small things, and I really don't buy a lot of gear any more.

Now along the lines of JL's post above, I do like to patronize the local shops for other things, because I know the people, and some of them are my clients. There's a local mechanic that I like to use for car stuff, because he's a client of mine too. Same thing with the autobody repair shop.

I like to buy new cars locally if I can, because some of the dealers are clients. Things like that.

It's not always possible, but I try when I can, especially if I have a relationship with them.

08-Jul-20
Thanks treeline. Our bow service us our best asset. Great quality guys doing timely work. We added axe throwing this year and built a first class bow range. If you are ever around please stop in. G

08-Jul-20
While I ordered my new compound bow string/cables from 60x, I just had the local shop in Ft. Collins ie, Rocky Mt Archery, put it on. At the same time, I ordered 6 new arrows for my recurve bow and also had them refletch a few more so all will match. All in all, spent $250 locally. Money well spent. my best, Paul

08-Jul-20
No, I’m my area I do not have a good shop close. I would and have in the past when a respectable shop owner was around. Since then I do my own work. Have more gear than many shops in my basement.

08-Jul-20
There is 1 good shop in Des Moines Iowa. I shop there for the awesome service. I could buy my stuff cheaper at scheels but enjoy the banter and support or a local shop.

08-Jul-20
Yeah, I'd probably drive 100 miles for this shop if it was necessary. But luckily Tom & Cindy Rothrock's Lonesome Elk archery shop is only minutes away. I try & get everything there that I can, from bows & accessories, trail cams, food plot seed, and even my Rambo bike. I'll support the local guys as much as possible. And this shop will do their best to beat virtually any on-line price, plus you couldn't ask for any better, more genuine people. I truly dread the day Tom retires the business.

08-Jul-20

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
I used to, until the owner was busted for poaching...Unfortunate, but true!

08-Jul-20
If local and they have good stuff and the staff are friendly and honest and knowledgable, then I would go there for pretty much everything

08-Jul-20
Absolutely not, they moved away from my bow and arrow needs years ago.

08-Jul-20
I feel much more inclined to support places like 3Rivers and The Footed Shaft. They have what I use and know how to use it themselves. If I go into a shop around here with a recurve, I'm considered an antique ! So...my answer is "no".

08-Jul-20
Short answer: Yes, if we didn't we would bevat the mercy of the big box stores.

That said, we don't have a reliable archery shop close by; that said when we need to buy a component or need a bow tweaked beyond my ability we'll drive to Archers Den in Franklin TN (60 miles one way) without hesitation. The shop is well stocked with a variety of high end bows and trad equipment.

We realize we pay more but we get the service we need from a trained bow tech who grew up in the business.

08-Jul-20
My guys know me and that matters to me. So, yeah, in my own self-interest, I patronize my shop. I don't scrutinize prices there, either. Don't know how "local" it is, however, at about 40 minutes from my house.

08-Jul-20
I do for many things. Other items they must order, not usually. I drop enough $$ with the one I go to (hour away) that they know me when I come in & know I'm there to "buy" something.

08-Jul-20
My parents owned a business for many years. They were successful because they offered quality merchandise, fair prices and good customer service. My parents grew their business based on fair prices and good service. They did very little advertising in newspaper, etc. Their advertising was from satisfied customers. I grew up working in my parents business so I was shown how to operate a business.

Even though I did not take over the business because I wanted to pursue other occupational interest, I learned and remembered the principles my parents thought me. I prefer to trade with the local small merchant as opposed to the box store, but if the local merchant can't deliver quality merchandise, a fair price and good customer service- I will shop else where. I will not allow a merchant hold me hostage of my buying freedom, the merchant will have to earn my business- I owe that merchant nothing and feel no obligation to that merchant.

This is probably a "cold" attitude to some, but this is what capitalism is about in my opinion.

08-Jul-20
I always try to buy from local pro shops.

08-Jul-20
We have 2 great ones in ABQ. Hit or Miss & The Archery Shoppe. Class acts and a ton of experience. I'm doing my part to keep the locals in business.

09-Jul-20
I don't feel a responsibility to do so because they don't always meet my needs, but I will give them business on occasion because I'm a nice guy and the owners are nice people.

09-Jul-20
I would say for a bow purchase, yes. One of my best friends owns the shop and is very good to me. He sets up a bow better than anyone I know. I will say this though, it is hard to buy other things from him when I can save 20 percent or more on a lot of things. Even when he gives me 20% off say a dozen arrows and he charges me 90 bucks and I can order on line for 70 it's tough to pass up. Sorry but I buy enough archery stuff in a year that by buying on line I can save 7 or 8 hundred bucks I have to lean that way. Shawn

09-Jul-20
I order most things from a Manitoba shop if I were you guys I would also do so with your strong dollar

09-Jul-20
Great to see the support of your local archery Shoppes. Grateful. G

09-Jul-20
Yes I support local shops when I can. If its only to buy a few feathers, fletching glue, discount arrows. That counts. More importantly when I have the time leagues as that is a regular draw for them once the equipment needs are satisfied.

Yes Thriftsotre, Goodwill counts too. Last year my local store had saved all the camo, hunting items they had received to so a pre-hunt sale. Some of the clothing was in very good shape, 10-25 cents on the dol;ar.

I also will go to the archery club swap meets ,sales, especially if some fo the money goes to a good Charity as well as the club.

09-Jul-20
"I order most things from a Manitoba shop if I were you guys I would also do so with your strong dollar"

Interesting thought....as of today, 1 CDN dollar is equal to .74 US cents. The outfitters must do pretty good when they charge hunts in US dollars.

09-Jul-20
a little story: mid October somewhere around 1991 I walked into a local archery shop in the next town over to "check it out". Asked the shop owner about bleeder blades for Bear Razorheads. Snotty reply that I should have shopped for bowhunting supplies before bow season (I had enough bleeders for the season, I was just checking the shop out and trying to come up with something I needed, throw him a little business until I did need something, ended up buying a new bow the next summer elsewhere). I never went back in that shop until the owner went bust. One of his employees re opened the shop and I became a regular there.

09-Jul-20
What is the statistic............ for every dissatisfied customer a proprietor is made aware of there are over 200 that simply and quietly stay away forever and those 200 tell another 25 people on average over time about their issue

So that one knowncomplaint that is registered equates to 5000 issues behind the scene

09-Jul-20
I'd like to, but the local shop owner is such a pompous dick I refuse to step foot in the joint. Not only that, archery shops should smell like Tinks 69, not Marlboros..

09-Jul-20
At one time, there were four good pro shops within a 30 minute drive of my house. I knew all the owners on a first name basis. All four carried different lines of merchandise I desired, so I did business with all of them. In less than a two year span in 2002-2003, all four closed their doors. I wrote an article for our state bowhunting organization magazine called, "Endangered Species - Our Vanishing Archery Pro Shops". All four were driven out of business by the same factors: Poor economy at the time, competition from both the big stores and online sales....and a seasonal business. It was from one of those shops, I purchased my equipment for personal use. Those of you living in areas where pro shops survived...count yourself fortunate.

09-Jul-20
"Not only that, archery shops should smell like Tinks 69, not Marlboros."

^ X2....good one...there's some truth to that!!

Pav.....ref your local archery shops closing....did any of them also do online sales? I'm curious if these days bow shops need to do online sales to stay competitive and stay in business??

09-Jul-20
No I don’t fee required to shop locally. My money is just that, my money. I’ll spend it wherever I get the most bang for the buck.

Craig

09-Jul-20
I don't feel the least bit responsible. It is up to local shops to remain competitive. This can be done by offsetting extra cost with service. That being said....I still try to buy whatever I can from my local pro shop.

09-Jul-20
'Sporting goods' shops in general are often 'personality' dependent. At least one area shop here has a staff (and owners) that seem to have 'd*head' written into the job description.

Happily there a few where the people rs' are both knowledgeable and friendly. 'Archers' isn't such a large customer base that a specialty shop can afford to alienate too many customers. Customers - especially unhappy ones - *talk*. (And have you been on 'Yelp' yet?)

10-Jul-20
JL - "Pav.....ref your local archery shops closing....did any of them also do online sales? I'm curious if these days bow shops need to do online sales to stay competitive and stay in business??"

They did not. One of the previous owners has been a good friend since we were teenagers. When he told me his shop was closing, I recommended clearing some inventory online first and see what happens. He closed anyway. After the doors were locked, and he was stuck with the inventory, he called and we discussed selling online. I helped him sell virtually everything on Ebay. When it was over, he told me the online sales may well have saved his shop had he taken the idea seriously. Keep in mind, this was 2002/2003. Much has changed since then.

10-Jul-20
The 2 archery shops in .y town are all about compounds. I do occasionally shoot a compound and had the shop put new strings and cables on my PSE. But when asked about traditional gear I got a blank stare. Any store not selling on line these days are almost asking to fail.

10-Jul-20
I’m about done bowhunting, just can’t hack it physically anymore, but I do like to patronize local businesses, especially in the wake of this covid crap. They need support and I like doing it.

11-Jul-20
What is the statistic............ for every dissatisfied customer a proprietor is made aware of there are over 200 that simply and quietly stay away forever and those 200 tell another 25 people on average over time about their issue

So that one knowncomplaint that is registered equates to 5000 issues behind the scene

11-Jul-20
I buy all my bows at local pro shop. And I buy shafts, and other arrow making materials. Also sights, rests, etc. I shoot Iron Will BHs and they are not sold in my local pro shop. Was in my local shop yesterday shooting at indoor range. The owner paper tuned my bow, free, cause I’m there a lot.

12-Jul-20
he paper tuned your bow for you, but it wasn't free! you have paid a 20-25% premium and most items i would bet, based on best available on-line prices, for a long time you you paid a pretty penny for that tune job. there are many reasons to buy local, but there is an expense and benefit, don't forget either.

the local guys generally can't survive against the online guys without commanding and getting that premium at a minimum.

12-Jul-20
The original owners of the pro shop I used for 25 years passed away and left it to their son. It has not been the same since.

I bought my new Bowtech this year from Scheels which is staffed with competent folks including the owner of a pro shop that is now closed. I buy a lot from Lancaster, but based on this last experience I probably will go to Scheels and not the pro shop in the future.

13-Jul-20
I get most of what I need from the local shop. The owner is a friend and I go to the shop to BS as much as purchase components or have work done.

• Sitka Gear