jstephens61 10-Jul-20
hawkeye in PA 10-Jul-20
Joey Ward 10-Jul-20
Flatlander_2 10-Jul-20
jstephens61 10-Jul-20
Korey Wolfe 10-Jul-20
CAMP DAVID 10-Jul-20
08-Jul-20
I am thinking about getting one for mowing trails and small food plots. They are all priced about the same. Any recommendations on DR, Swisher or Earthquake.

08-Jul-20
I have an older swisher. Think they came 10.5, 12.5 and 14.5 HP. 10.5 might be light. The hitch is a softer metal and I needed some plate added to where it attaches to the mower. I have the brush mower version and maybe you need more of a finish mower in which case a lawn mower might suffice, depending on how rough and thick.

08-Jul-20
Only advice I can give is if you cut anything on inclines make sure the one you choose has an oil pump or you’ll burn the motor. Otherwise choose the one you can get parts and blades for easily.

09-Jul-20
I have a DR and it works great, I can cut grass almost as tall as I am. Definitely check the air intake for mice nests if you store it where they can get to it though!

09-Jul-20
Try KUNZ, simply the best. More dough but you get what you pay for.

09-Jul-20
Thanks for the advise. My land is very flat. I never thought of the blades parts etc. Northern Tool carries the Swisher so they should be able to get blades and I am sure you can order from DR but the Earthquake is carried by Fleet Farm and I am not sure they would have the service.

09-Jul-20
I used a buddies Swisher once for about 20 minutes. As part of my deal with him, I had it serviced and the blades sharpened, but after 20 minutes I put it back on the trailer and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I wasn't impressed at all!

09-Jul-20
Korey, what didn't you like about it.

10-Jul-20
Which model has a oil pump? Thinking about picking one up to mow around the pond.

10-Jul-20
I have had a Bushhog tow behind mower deck, its been very durable. Have been using it for near twenty years.

10-Jul-20
jstephen61, look at the spec sheet for the engine for whatever model you're interested in. Splash lubrication vs pressurized lubrication. Pressurized will be what you want for continuous use on inclines. Splash(cheaper) will be for relatively flat/level use.

10-Jul-20
I have a Swisher rough cut that was bought new in 2007. It’s worked for me and was even stored outside for several years under a tarp. It’s not the best but does the job. Although it’s starting to eat belts now. Would look at Kunz if money was now object.

10-Jul-20
Joey, learned about the splash lub the hard way with a JD zero turn from HD.

Just lazy and looking for a recommendation.

10-Jul-20
It didn't have near the power for what i needed it for. I could get better results by driving slow in my 10 year old craftsman lawn mower. You are almost always better off with a tractor and brushhog for most applications. If you ever plan to get a tractor for food plot work then i wouldn't waste money now on a pull behind mower, because if you get a tractor then you are better off with a brushhog.

10-Jul-20
Hands down the best tow behind mower is a Kunz!!!

Yes...its spendy... but's worth EVERY penny.

A Kunz mower will last for decades and work flawlessly.

If you get one...spend the extra few dollars and get the puncture proof tires.

I give my Kunz a 5 star rating!!!

• Sitka Gear