Brun 12-Jul-20
Jaquomo 12-Jul-20
Matt 12-Jul-20
Glunt@work 13-Jul-20
Buglmin 13-Jul-20
cnelk 13-Jul-20
Treeline 13-Jul-20
11-Jul-20
I'll catch a flight to denver, rent a car, scout for 3 days in a draw unit even though I really dread wearing masks and walking through ATL and stapleton - twice. That'll be more exposure than I have had in the last 4 months combined. Skipping baggage claim though. I can still cancel and refund on car and flight at a later date. The things we do for our elk jones.

11-Jul-20
Good luck

11-Jul-20
Umm Stapleton has been close for about 25 years might want to change flight to Denver International Airport (DIA). ;) I would come you can't live in a bubble forever. Should be a good trip. What unit did you draw?

11-Jul-20
Maybe stay home. Put your license on the reissue list. I’ll be waiting for it.

11-Jul-20
Yep good luck might as well enjoy your tag to its fullest.

11-Jul-20
Since you have about a 99% chance of surviving Covid if you even catch it I wouldn’t worry too much, neither should anyone else who is healthy. When will this silliness end...

11-Jul-20
Don’t call it Stapleton. That’s racist!

11-Jul-20
Mike, though I agree that statistics are overwhelming in way of being young and healthy you’ll be fine, it’s not always case. Great friend from college, that was 37, runs about a 1/2 dozen ultra marathons a year, spent 18 days in an ICU and just passed away. Went from fever, aches, and chills to lungs filled with fluid and dead in two weeks. That’s the scary thing, most all will be fine, some won’t even know, and then your friend, wife, brother, etc are gone with no time or reason! When the folks scream that the flu kills more, spare me, I work in the middle of this crap daily and have seen the carnage! I also know 40+ people that had less symptoms than a common cold! Enjoy your scouting, and hunt to it’s fullest, but don’t just throw caution to the wind, and stay safe!

11-Jul-20

JohnMC's Link
For those not in the area to understand Ucs post and want a taste of Denver's cancel culture.

11-Jul-20
Ohyndc, I feel terrible for anyone who dies from Covid but statistics are the most important factor in this to get a handle on reality

11-Jul-20
Mike x2.

11-Jul-20
Mike x3 But what unit???

11-Jul-20
To early for scouting

11-Jul-20
It’s never too early for scouting, even it it’s basically just getting a good feel for the area. Find where the cows are hanging out now and you’ll know where the bulls will start showing up late Aug/early Sep. Find an area that has rubs of varying ages and you’ve found a potential gold mine.

11-Jul-20
Mike hit the nail on the head. Reality check to the sheep! Enjoy the scouting trip elkster

11-Jul-20
I'm not so young, (55) and have "mild" cardiovascular disease (2 stents 3 yrs ago) but very healthy now. Low body fat, weigh the same now as senior year of high school. Working out daily with zero problems. I mention this because it is a concern. Unit 49. Regarding it being too early, Its now or never due to various work, family reasons. I considered skipping scouting and trying to add 4 days to my hunt ( last 12 days of season) instead. But this timing works better.

12-Jul-20
Sitting on the side of Diamond Mountain in 201 tonight myself. Saw a really nice Bull this evening. Always good to get out in the woods!

Should be able to get around all the main roads down there.

Make sure to get out and hike though, so you know what “shortness of breath” feels like!

You will see plenty of elk. They will be up above treeline enjoying the weather.

You will want something with high clearance and 4WD.

Most dangerous thing you will do is drive across Denver and up I70! Would worry more about that than any virus...

Have flown from Hayden through Denver to LA and back twice since the Chinese Virus showed up. First time in April it was refreshing to get to Denver and away from the Routt County insanity of requiring masks. Second trip in June a lot more people wearing masks and they required them on the plane.

Heard several highly reputable doctors today saying that it is still not proven that this government overreach on requiring masks is doing anything...

Gonna be interesting to see what happens when the full story about this virus comes out...

12-Jul-20
Why is it that people refuse to wear masks? Even if it doesn't do anything for the spread of the virus.....it will help to get the economy and businesses to remain open and potentially stop those making higher up decisions from closing or scaling back? It seems like a small contribution to help the national economy with a possibility to keep someone from getting sick. I don't take it as a loss of freedom but a choice to help my fellow mankind. I don't consider rules that help to protect others any different (don't drink and drive, or speed, drive reckless, shoot my gun in the city, beat someone up because they upset me, etc etc) than wearing a mask to potentially stop from infecting anyone. Doesn't make sense to me.

12-Jul-20
Too early to scout? Bullsh!t

I just put over 800 miles on going to Wyoming and back to scout. And Im gonna do it again in 2 weeks

12-Jul-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here’s what a Wyoming bar looks like these days. Anyone see a mask?

12-Jul-20
No need to scout when you got “honey holes”.... But I admit, it sure is a good time. Have fun and enjoy!!

12-Jul-20
No masks required inside bars or restaurants . Stapleton was KKK man , so I have no qualms about taking his name down.

12-Jul-20
Have a good time and good luck this Fall!

12-Jul-20

12-Jul-20
Only people wearing masks where we were in WY last week were tourists. I still don't understand the reasoning behind wearing a mask while riding a bike or driving a car....

12-Jul-20
I've seen that too. People alone in a car with mask on. I hope they simply forgot it was on after wearing it for a 8-12 hr. shift.

12-Jul-20
I'm sick of talking about Covid and masks, but it's never too early to go scouting. You'll have fun and you'll learn stuff that will be useful on your hunt. Good luck.

12-Jul-20
This is my favorite time to scout. All the sign from where elk live during the rut are there- rubs, wallows, trails, bedding areas. But I don't have to worry about blowing anything out of where I want to hunt.

12-Jul-20
"Here’s what a Wyoming bar looks like these days. Anyone see a mask?'

Why did you reference a state with <500 active cases in a discussion of flying from a state with ~35K cases to one with ~23K cases and back? Just wondering.

13-Jul-20

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Great time to scout for access, trails, rubs, etc..

Took the kids in 5 miles this weekend on an access trail we may use this fall. Didn't really do much scouting other than taking note of what elevation most rubs were at and looking for good places to jump off the main trail to get to the area we are planning to hunt.

Kids got their first real taste of backpacking, daughter caught her first trout on a fly rod, dad got to simulate packing meat with all the extra gear to keep two kids comfortable and happy :^)

Have a great trip!

13-Jul-20
It's no biggie to fly. I flew to Kentucky for the Pro Am shoot with no issues. Just be sure to take your own mask to wear on the plane. It's mandatory that you wear one. I was mainly by myself at DIA for my layover, the airport wasn't too crowded.

13-Jul-20
@ Matt - "Why did you reference a state with <500 active cases in a discussion of flying from a state with ~35K cases to one with ~23K cases and back? Just wondering."

To show there is some sort of normalcy in the world - and it aint Colofornia

13-Jul-20

Treeline's Link
See Table 1. Deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), PNUEMONIA, and INFLUENZA reported to NCHS by week ending date, United States. Week ending 2/1/2020 to 7/4/2020.

The combined death rate due to the flu, pneumonia and Covid in the USA for the latest week of reporting (7/4/20) is 302.

Of note:

The COVID 19 coded deaths include persons who died “with Covid” or were “presumed” to have died with Covid.

The death totals do not separate COVID 19 from the flu and pneumonia deaths.

Why is the news media not reporting this data?

Why is all we hear from every news outlet 24/7 that cases are skyrocketing, especially in Republican run states like Florida and Texas?

Why are we still under strict state and local governmental restrictions (reduced occupancy, required masks, social distancing, house arrest, etc) over this Wuhan Virus?

• Sitka Gear