c3 14-Jul-20
Jaquomo 14-Jul-20
Mike Ukrainetz 14-Jul-20
kentuckbowhnter 14-Jul-20
Tilzbow 15-Jul-20
Z Barebow 15-Jul-20
Casekiska 15-Jul-20
14-Jul-20
Can this crap really expire? While digging through my camp stuff I found a half dozen unopened MH meals that are 6 years old. I hate to toss them. Anybody have experience with something like this?

14-Jul-20
They are supposedly good for 30 years from the date of manufacture.

14-Jul-20
One way to find out! You might want to send the lady to the grocery store for a couple hours and open the windows after eating. Especially if it’s chili Mac!

14-Jul-20
freeze dried, good to go for 20+ more years....LOL

14-Jul-20
They’re fine, eat them then start buying peakrefuel.

14-Jul-20
I had some MH lasagna dated about the same age last Fall.....when I ate it, it was fine.

14-Jul-20
I believe that they even up dated older packs that have dates that expire, say (example) 1/2024 to longer date. I think it's on there web page. I've eaten so much of freeze dried and of different brands over the years of hunting and backpacking, I can put a full day by day menu together for 16 days in 5 minutes. That inclulding breakfast, lunch, supper and 2 snacks a day. Will be putting one together this coming weekend up coming season, so I can get everything I'll need.

14-Jul-20
Thanks, fellas!

14-Jul-20
Last year I ate one that was so old it didn't even have an expiration date. Maybe 20 years old. It was a little crunchy but still fine. 6 years is not an issue. Do not throw them out.

14-Jul-20
Contact the company and ask about code dates. They will give you accurate information based on their shelf-life testing. Go with their advice, it's their job to know how long their product lasts. Ask the company.

14-Jul-20
I just had a mtn house that has been bouncing around in one of my boxes for at least 10 years. Most of the label was worn off, but it was still sealed perfectly and tasted perfect.

I think as long as the seal is not broken and exposed to air these things will last forever.

Cheers, Pete

14-Jul-20
Thanks. Even bottled water has an expiration date, and I don't believe that either! :-O

14-Jul-20
My experience with 10 year past the expiry date Mountain House freeze dried was not so good. Gave my guide and I an upset stomach and diarrhea and not so fun gas while sharing a tent.

14-Jul-20
i ate some old ones past the date and they were fine for me.

15-Jul-20
Ask yourself, can it really make me crap more?

15-Jul-20
I don't cr@p more, but boy I am dependable. I can darn near use a stopwatch to calculate launch time.

15-Jul-20
Safe shelf life will depend on if the package has been breached, how it is stored, and the manufacturer's recommendations. For those who consume out of date products, you are taking a risk. For some products it is not all that important. For others, it can kill you. Call the manufacturer and ask about their shelf life & code date specifications. Only then will you receive dependable and accurate guidance.

• Sitka Gear