Paul@thefort 16-Apr-24
Zbone 16-Apr-24
Paul@thefort 16-Apr-24
14-Jul-20

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Basically giving it away?
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Basically giving it away?
I’m buying deer prints to furnish our new Ohio place. While perusing eBay I found this signed and numbered print selling for $25! I figured there had to be a catch and it was going to be printed from some guys home PC. Received it today and it’s awesome.

Then I realized it. Can anyone guess why this print was so cheap? It’s kinda funny.

14-Jul-20
Looks like a big Traverse City, Michigan area buck.

14-Jul-20
Maybe because it didn’t have droopy ears?

14-Jul-20
It is the mitch rompola buck!

14-Jul-20
Rompala buck

14-Jul-20
It’s a forgery

14-Jul-20
Because it’s 4” x6”

14-Jul-20
Legitimate or not, it’s a piece of bowhunting history and lore that isn’t in the record books. And in the off chance the rack does ever appear and it’s real, you’ve got an original painting of it. It’s one hell of a discussion piece if anyone ever asks about it either way. Heckuva find especially for $25

14-Jul-20
Has the picture frame for it, been split too?

14-Jul-20
Because it’s a fake?

14-Jul-20
Because it's small in actual size, like copy paper small?

14-Jul-20
Pat have it X-RAYED to make sure the print is legit!

14-Jul-20
Many bucks over 5 years old have droopy ears. That buck was the real deal.

14-Jul-20
He will refuse to have it X-rayed, PBNJ, and we will never know the legitimacy. Then Pat will drift off into seclusion and his fan boys will always run to his defense every time the print comes into question. :)

14-Jul-20
R u soft peddling that print here on BS? Cuz we have strict rules of NOT selling stuff on the forums!^D

14-Jul-20
It looks like it was signed twice. Once on the artwork and again at the lower right. Is it a copy of someone else's print?

Pop quiz....anyone know the significance of the bucks in the background?

His son has posted here before. Maybe he will read this thread and offer some thoughts about the print.

14-Jul-20
Because the skull plate was broken and they had to get rid of it for cheap.

14-Jul-20
Page off a calendar?

14-Jul-20
What is going on with the transparent deer toward the upper right side? The transparent buck is odd enough on his own, but what is the tail thing to the right of him? I can't zoom it up enough to tell.

14-Jul-20
INDBowhunter2 that is a print not an original. 22 of them still available on ebay.

14-Jul-20
It’s a signed and numbered print. I’m glad I got it. It’s a normal sized print on good quality paper.

14-Jul-20
Signed by Mitch?

14-Jul-20
Stolen merchandise ?

14-Jul-20

14-Jul-20
Does the winner get a prize ?

14-Jul-20
Actually, a copy from China

14-Jul-20
Pat...sent you a PM. Nice print and does not look damaged. You know what size it is? If you can determine artist, you can look him up and get a better idea of value. If you purchase, you should get it framed properly...acid free matting. Wife has a long history of having her collection framed at Hobby Lobby...they will advise and help you get it done right.

We have a wildlife/outdoors art collection such that for every new piece, something has to come down. LOL

jack

14-Jul-20
May be an artist's proof, reject or the real deal. Is it numbered, printer listed??

14-Jul-20
Well Paul Harvey, we are ready for the "rest of the story".

14-Jul-20

14-Jul-20
^...Kevin...thoughts on the print??

14-Jul-20
So here is the story behind the print.

Prior to my dad shooting that deer, he had been working with a company called Custom Shooting Systems (CSS) to design a bow. He actually shot the deer with a prototype of the bow that was later put into production and called the swampmaster.

After my dad got the deer, CSS commissioned the well known wildlife artist Charles Denault to do the print. I think the deal was that if you purchased the swampmaster bow you got one of the prints.

I think CSS went out of business and they must have still had an inventory of the prints. Those are the ones that are for sale on eBay.

14-Jul-20
Very interesting. Thanks Kevin!

14-Jul-20
Thanks for the tip Pat. Bought me one for my new place up in Ky.

14-Jul-20
Thanks Kevin...now we know the "rest of the story" behind the prints.

15-Jul-20
Not real, the ears are too droopy...8^)))

15-Jul-20
The good news, is that it's a cool painting to have in your place, and will be a fun talking point for folks.

15-Jul-20
Thanks for explaining... that print is hauntingly interesting, with all the back story and inquisitiveness on the subject... The Legend Lives!

15-Jul-20
Very nice

15-Jul-20
Is it illegal to use as a homescreen on phone? ;0)

15-Jul-20
I don't know why but I had to have one. Probably all of the beer last night. Now Pat and I are twinsies.

16-Jul-20
My cousin has that same print on his wall. Next time I see him I will ask him where he got it.

16-Jul-20
OK Pat. What?

17-Jul-20
Good follow up EmbryOklahoma!!!

22-Jul-20

DiRTY MiKE 's embedded Photo
It's a cool print.

24-Jul-20
What's the catch?

25-Jul-20
I thought Mitch shot him from the ground, but the painting shows him in a treestand. Maybe it was a different deer I am thinking about as I thought he shota few from the ground.

25-Jul-20
It's been a long time, but here's what I recall; Mitch presented Chuck with a rough drawing on a sheet of yellow legal pad paper; It was from his view in the tree stand and the two smaller buck were in front of the big guy. Chuck wanted to feature the big guy and as he said' used artists discretion and put them off to the right of the painting. I have # 28 of 200. I remember buying it from Chuck at the Great Easterm Sports Show in Harrisburg, Pa. When I walked by his booth, I said, "I know that deer. Used to buy a print off of Chuck every year. It was then he told me about how he came to paint it. I'm thinking he even had the rough drawing on the yellow legal pad with him that weekend. Whether or not you believe in the buck doesn't matter. It is a helluva print. Hope this helps . Shick

25-Jul-20
I'm curious how to locate one to purchase. I think it would look great in our trophy room.

10-Feb-23

I finally got my print framed. Looks great and makes me chuckle every time I look at it.

10-Feb-23
And no one noticed that Mitch's son chimed in?

10-Feb-23
He used to do that a lot, appearing out of the mist every time the topic of his dad's "buck" came up. But he'd never answer any of the harder questions that guys would ask, such as "where is the mount now?".

10-Feb-23
We noticed Kevin posted. It's a 2 1/2 year old thread.

10-Feb-23
First time I've seen this thread. Looks cool to me and I'd have no problem hanging it in my game room. Famous/infamous buck!

10-Feb-23
That’s awesome Mike. I want one. I’m going to make a custom frame that leans outward on the sides.

10-Feb-23
Some e-bay sellers don't know what they have. Bless 'em.

10-Feb-23
Damn, the best comments are already taken…………you snooze, you lose !

10-Feb-23

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Supposedly, this is the last known photo of the Rompola buck.

11-Feb-23

I just wish the ears were droopier

15-Apr-24

Zbone's Link
Greetings Denault Fan... Hadn't realized Mr. Denault had passed:

"Charles H. Denault Sr. January 28, 1935 - February 6, 2024"

https://www.jspelkeyfuneralhome.com/obituary/charles-denault-sr

Sorry to hear of his passing, he was a great artist... R.I.P.

I think those "Swamp Master" prints on eBay for $25 didn't last long, but good luck with your search...

15-Apr-24

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Speaking of deer prints. Here is a Michael Sieve print, titled Oak Ridge Challenge, that I purchased 40 years ago at a DU banquet in Ohio. I just looked up the current selling price, ie, $799. I paid $250 for it back then.

15-Apr-24
I like how that scene is laid out Paul. In this here pic I can’t tell how much detail is in it and I would love to see it in person.

15-Apr-24

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Bowbender's embedded Photo
Sieve and Denault are my two favorite artists. This print by Sieve hangs in my office.

15-Apr-24
Don’t take offense Bowbender but I like Paul’s better. There’s some art that has eye appeal but doesn’t quite add up on reality and some has both. In your pic I would have love to seen a few tracks they left behind in the snow. Also…and maybe there is but I would have love to seen some water droplets on the doe’s nose saying that she had been drinking when something caught her eye. That would justify her being there long enough for the buck to catch up. It’s very hard to believe that the buck and doe would’ve been walking shoulder to shoulder.

Would’ve like to seen the buck back about 5 yards back looking the same direction. Most likely the buck would’ve let her drank and get done before he went up there anyways. I know her legs are spread out for her to drink but her chest looks too wide and muscular for a normal doe compared to the buck.

Pauls pic seems to add up. The buck you know had to hear and seen the other buck coming for awhile with how the terrain lies. Probably moved a little closer to the doe. The doe is in heat and tired and don’t feel like running no more. She’s looking off towards the side of the ravine across at probably another younger buck that’s been in the area.

15-Apr-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I like a lot of Michael Sieve's prints, especially the ones with recurve hunters in treestands... Also Jack Paluh...

Look up "Metro Zone" by Sieve, what city is in the background?

Ron Van Gilder is another one one my favorites, and this attached "November Frost" by Larry Zach is my computer screen saver... Looks just like a ridge I hunted witnessing a very similar scenario... Notice the big typical emerging behind the oak, bottom left, ears laid back...

16-Apr-24
About the Image I found with some research. Zbone. the following. " Whitetail deer in a field near a river, with the twin cities metro in the distance and bow hunter aiming for him."

Twin Cities, St Paul and Minneapolis

16-Apr-24

Zbone's Link
Yeah Paul, that is it: https://wildwings.com/products/156636

So ya think the Twin Cities are St Paul and Minneapolis? I don't know their skyline...

16-Apr-24
Yep. Well known for that.

• Sitka Gear