BULELK1 12-Sep-20
altitude sick 12-Sep-20
RJ Hunt 12-Sep-20
KSflatlander 12-Sep-20
Gotta Hunt 12-Sep-20
KSflatlander 12-Sep-20
KSflatlander 13-Sep-20
16-Jul-20
So my son was not able to go elk hunting with me this year as he is having a baby in September. I told him that was very poor planning lol.

I had planned to go solo but I was doing field work with one of my field biologists and he was asking about bowhunting. I told him about my elk hunting trip. He said bowhunting elk was on his bucket list. I thought for a bit and decided to give him an invite. Within 24 hours he bought his tag. Within 48 hours he bought a backpack and some elk calls. Within 72 hours he bought a bow and all accessories. The kids is like a sponge and is already calling and shooting better than average. He’s sending me elk hunting podcasts. Elknut is his favorite (thanks Paul). He’s like obsessed.

So this season is his Rookie year but the kid is hooked. Should be fun no matter if we punch a tag or not as everything is new to him. It feels good to bring some into the bowhunting addiction.

Anyone else having a rookie year or have a rookie coming along? What’s their rookie story?

16-Jul-20
Watch out he may out hike you:) Good luck!

16-Jul-20
Ha Ha, Ryan, I hope he's a good listener, lots of stuff there to keep him excited! Good luck to the both of you!

My grandson Trey is going on his rookie archery elk hunt this year as well, my Son & I will do our best to get him on elk, no matter what it will be a blast, I'm smiling just writing this, can't wait!

ElkNut

16-Jul-20
He bought an Idaho OTC 5 days before they sold out.

Bowboy- I’m sure he will out hike me. He’s half my age lol. I’ll have to tell him a story about a young bull, old bull, and all those cows. You know run over and screw one or walk over and screw them all.

Also, the kid is all self made. Grew up in the foster system, graduated from college, he’s a damn hard worker and good biologist. Average over 50/week last year. Super positive attitude and never a bad word to say. Icing on the cake...never seen the Rocky Mountains. We are heading to CO to do a weekend backpacking trip to give him a taste and test out his gear. He’s going to be hooked!

Can’t wait...

16-Jul-20
Paul- He loves your podcasts and especially your attitude and enthusiasm. He and I both appreciate all you do for our sport. Actually your the catalyst as to why he’s going anyway. The initial conversation started when we were on our way to TX to do some biological surveys. I was listening to one of the podcast you were on. That started the conversation.

Now it’s my job to set the hook and get him into elk...using Elknut nuggets of course.

I’m not going to wish you or your grandson luck Paul as I’m sure you don’t need it lol. He’s picked some good hunting partners lol.

Best of luck Scoot!

16-Jul-20
My son is hunting with me on his first elk hunt, mid Sept in New Mexico. He’s 41, I’m 69. Really looking forward to it.

16-Jul-20
I'm in my 7th rookie season if that counts

16-Jul-20
Finally talked my father n law into going. It’ll be his first time seeing the Rocky Mountains also. It’s gonna be a blast. Good luck to everyone.

16-Jul-20
Ryan, thank you for the kind words!

Looks like you two are putting in the needed leg work, you'll have a blast & do just fine, keep a positive attitude even at the slowest times, it only takes one! (grin)

Scoot, thank you! -- You got that right about having an elk in front of not only a newbie but just a young man! I mentioned that very thing to my Son if he felt he'll hold up under the excitement/pressure, he said you won't have to worry about Trey, he says he'll stand solid as a rock at the shot, But after the shot he'll shake like a leaf in the wind & he started laughing! We'll see!

Ryan, I can't wait to see your pictures & hear your stories after the hunt, you two will build some great memories!

ElkNut

16-Jul-20
KSflatlander that is awesome look forward to story. Having worked with many kids in the foster care system in Kansas it is good to hear the stories of ones who are out there making a go of it. I have little doubt that challenge of Elk hunt will be minor in comparison, good luck.

16-Jul-20
It's a good thing but we know where all the tags went now. Lol

16-Jul-20
Ryan, if he outhikes you that's ok. He will be a good one when you need help packing your elk out. All that youth and enthusiasm!

16-Jul-20
My son is 13 and this will be his second year. No opportunities yet but its coming.

16-Jul-20
Glunt, agree 100%, hopefully this is his year! Good luck!

ElkNut

16-Jul-20
Good on you for getting someone into the sport. Sounds like you're on way to a fun season!

17-Jul-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My daughter (26) drew a primo 4th season rifle deer tag in the Primary Drawing. So I put her in the Leftover Drawing and she drew an E/S rifle elk tag to go along with her deer tag.

She has only hunted big game once - antelope - so she is pretty stoked.

18-Jul-20
It'll be the first elk hunt for my son (if military releases the restrictions), white tails many times. Due to him being stationed all over the world, we haven't been able to hunt together very much over the past 25 years. To say I'm stoked is an understatement!

18-Jul-20
Inshart- what a really special hunt. So cool.

19-Jul-20
Good on ya KS!

I'm always kinda surprised at how much I learn or re-learn when bringing in a first timer on bow elk. It seems to wipe off the cobwebs on my knowledge.

I agree, ya can't go wrong with listening to Paul/ElkNut1

Good luck, Robb

19-Jul-20
Good post. We are taking my son in law and my friends young son on their first elk hunt this year.

It’s so much more fun taking someone on their first big hunt. I haven’t been this excited about an elk hunt in a long time. To see everything new through their eyes brings a lot of anticipation back.

I also have 2 friends hunting a private ranch in WY for their first elk hunt and I recommended the ElkNut app to them. To learn the language.

All are shooting very well. And with some challenging 3D shoots under our belts, demonstrate they are as ready as they can be.

Good luck to all the Rookies!

Hopefully there is a post to all their success.

19-Jul-20
There are 4 of us heading to idaho, 2 of which will be their 2nd elk hunt but have yet to kill something. 1 of those 2 is quite familiar with mountains as he is a smoke jumper by trade! I'll probably have a hard time keeping up!

29-Jul-20
Update on my young hunting partners rookie season. We are headed to Colorado to do a weekend backpacking trip (first weekend in August) so he can try out his gear and we can both try out our lungs lol. His very first time in the Rockies. We will see if he gets altitude sickness. Should be a good test and fun trip.

I’ll see if I can get some pics to post.

29-Jul-20
Have fun men!

29-Jul-20
What elevation will you guys be scouting/camping? Good luck & I hope he doesn't get the sickness, man that's some rough stuff there!

ElkNut

29-Jul-20
Since 2006, every season has been my rookie season.

Best of luck to your friend KS....and to you. Make sure he knows to slow down and appreciate the journey, particularly when in the woods. Way too easy to be too eager and end up blowing alot of elk outta the woods not being patient. Don't ask me how I know........ Taking time to enjoy the flowers, the scenery, the view......and often you then slow down enough to also see that tuft of white elk rump or tan shoulder 50 yards away in the timber you otherwise would have missed until it bolted off having been busted.

Lord knows I was ate up (still am mostly) with elk hunting, planning, dreaming, call practice, video digesting, trying to find every possible advantage when I could have gained as much or more just calming down and letting it happen. Making it happen has its place for sure but full throttle all the time has been a recipe for failure more often than not in my experience.

Cheers to all us Rookies!

29-Jul-20
Paul- we will start around 8500 and go to 10200. Close to the same elevations we will be hunting in Idaho.

29-Jul-20
Yep, that's some serious elevation! Hope your buddy is prepared for it! Good luck & locate some great areas away from pressure!

ElkNut

30-Jul-20
Chad, thank you sir! The App will certainly entertain & assist in building their elk knowledge along with your mentor-ship! Good luck & stay safe out there sir!

ElkNut/Paul

30-Jul-20
You guys will have a great time. Enjoy the hunt and your time together. Enjoy the little things and it will be successful.

09-Aug-20

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
Update on the rookie season. We went to Rawah Wilderness Area, Colorado and did 20 miles in 1.5 days with a 3000 ft climb. We saw mule deer and big horn sheep. No altitude sickness but we were both pretty tired when we got done. The highlight was the rookie catching a mess of brook trout once we got to camp. Best tasting fish ever!

I took the rookie up Trail Ridge Road on the way home since we were in the neighborhood. We saw moose, elk, and big horn in RMNP.

On our way home now. We are beat but the rookie is still anxious for or elk hunt in Idaho in 4 weeks. Still lots to do physically to prepare. This training trip was good both physically and mentally to get us ready for the Idaho mountains to beat down our flatlander feet and lungs.

Feels good to pass it on. I believe we have another lifelong bowhunter joining the ranks...he’s rookie of the year in my book already. He’s determined.

09-Aug-20

09-Aug-20

09-Aug-20

Camp our first night at 11,000. Trout were biting almost every cast!

09-Aug-20
Good stuff man!

09-Aug-20
The mountains always seem to sooth your soul, and take away the worries of everyday life. Good luck this season!

09-Aug-20
Very neat Ryan!

11-Sep-20

Well, we put the work in, practiced, and prepared. On our way to Idaho for the first inning...rookie season.

11-Sep-20
Good luck men!

11-Sep-20
All the elk are in Idaho. Good luck!

11-Sep-20
I hope they are all in Idaho.

Shout out to Habitat for Wildlife for letting me borrow his 50 gallon water tank. Much appreciated!

11-Sep-20
Good Luck!!

11-Sep-20
Thanks. You too Jordan.

11-Sep-20
Enjoy your time in the mountains and hope you all have a great hunt!

-Mitch

12-Sep-20
Enjoy and travel safe

Pick-a-$pot-------->

Robb

12-Sep-20
Our trip taking 2 Rookies, My friends son, and my son in law. Started with having our draw tag refunded due to fire closure. Then scrambling to find an OTC hunt to take them somewhere. Found a trespass fee hunt to access govt land. As everyone knows opening week was hot with a very bright full moon. We found elk were above 10,000. So we concentrated efforts there. We had very limited contact and calling from the elk. The wind and snow drove us out of the mountains early. All in all it was still a great trip with 2 young men experiencing the mountains for the first time. They saw Moose, antelope, bears and deer up close and even a few elk. On the drive home we planned our next trip.

12-Sep-20
Took my nephew out (he is 16) yesterday and we called in a couple good bulls and almost put one in the freezer. This is his first ever outing like this and I think he is hooked also. He asked yesterday if I he could tag along today. So... as soon as he is ready we are heading out for day 2. Also kinda nice to have some young muscle to help pack. Good lick gents.

12-Sep-20
We are on the 19th hour of our 20 hour trip. I think my rookie is already hooked for life and we haven’t even got out of the truck yet lol. Good luck to all the rookies but I get the first shot lol.

12-Sep-20
Best of luck. Can't wait to hear about the hunt.

Nick

12-Sep-20

Got to camp around 11am. Everything was set up and organized by around 2pm. More hunters in the area compared to last year. Headed out in the truck at 3pm to look for some access points in less crowded areas. Glassing from down low tonight from the truck. I think we have a game plan for tomorrow starting at 4am. We will go up to the tall ridgeback with many drainages fingers and bugle/call and glass. If nothing tomorrow then likely Plan B.

Positive results in glassing tonight will likely alter our game plan.

13-Sep-20
Rookie spotted a bull and 2 cows so plans have changed. Saw three other elk tonight in the same general area. We will see what tomorrow brings.

• Sitka Gear