IdyllwildArcher 20-Jul-20
Destroyer350 20-Jul-20
razorsharp 20-Jul-20
Z Barebow 20-Jul-20
Z Barebow 20-Jul-20
Norseman 22-Jul-20
chukarchump 22-Jul-20
18-Jul-20
What’s in everyone’s packs on day hunts? What do you never leave camp without??? Let’s hear em!

18-Jul-20
Toilet Paper

18-Jul-20
Got that and baby wipes!

18-Jul-20
Extra Toilet Paper

18-Jul-20
Wipes, water, a snack, kill kit, first aid kit, lighter, rain gear, head lamp, calls, battery bank, compass. I might be missing something but that’s basically all that’s in my daypack. I have thrown in a sleeping bag in case I want to spike out over night. I’ve spent a night spiked out with just a space blanket and I won’t do that again. I would absolutely not leave without wipes, water and the kill kit, I suppose everything else is negotiable.

18-Jul-20
Tags and licenses, paracord, game bags, extra tab, sharpener for touching up broadheads, headlamp, camera and phone

18-Jul-20
Rain gear or contractor bag, fire starter & lighters. Water filtration.

18-Jul-20
All the above I think, plus I always have a mini-tripod and little Bluetooth remote for my IPhone. Just in case I actually kill something and want to take a hero pic. Makes it WAY easier when by yourself.

—Jim

18-Jul-20
i just ordered one yesterday Jim.

18-Jul-20
Good ole compass for when you get too far or deep and no signal for gps/phone, immodium, lots of water, spare flash light, etc, etc, Most probably have their own "checklist" and we amend ours every year. Good luck

18-Jul-20
Packable rain gear, a flashlight and always take a real compass.

Don’t ever, ever leave your truck wothout rain gear. It might be a warm sun shiny day and a buck or bull runs across the road in front of you... But you follow; shoot and wound, track for a mile and finally find him! Now it is staring to rain and getting dark an you don’t have A light or your rain gear!

18-Jul-20

18-Jul-20
Amen to that!

18-Jul-20
I haven't been anywhere in the USA where my phone gps didn’t work.

18-Jul-20
Like I said, be sure and always carry a real compass, as a backup for technology. I have a gps/compass watch, but I don’t bet my life that it will always work.

18-Jul-20
All of the above and EXTRA BATTERIES FOR HEAD LIGHT. SPOT MESSENGER.

18-Jul-20
Benadryl, map. I carry a small piece of plastic cut from a trash bag in case the ground is wet and I want to sit.

18-Jul-20
Super glue! Lighter than duck tape and can be used on injuries or for gear repair.

19-Jul-20
A small flask of my favorite brown libation just in case I get snake bit or need a touch to celebrate a kill.

19-Jul-20
A fleece vest takes up little space but can buy you a lot of 'core' warmth if the weather chills. A pair of light gloves, ditto. Depending on time of year, spare socks (and a couple of bread wrappers) can be a blessing. Small headlamp to back up the flashlight in my pocket. Plus the 'essentials' listed above.

19-Jul-20
Alot of good items above. To me...along with some of the above, it would make sense to build up a pack with survival for several days in mind. A knife is your most important survival tool...I have two....a skinner and a leatherman. A small signal mirror would be handy. Next would be a real small med kit with some aspirin, anti-histamine, pain reliever..etc, alcohol wipes, tweezers, maybe a band aide or two. I also carry a folding hand saw for cutting bones or in case I have to make a shelter...which I've done before in the mountains during a windy snowstorm. If you're going real remote a space blanket that has one side in international orange so you can be seen from the air easier. Some twine/line for duel use of field dressing or making a shelter.

I suppose when it's finished you want a pack that is as light as possible yet packed with essentials. How much would that weigh?? I've weighed full packs for a caribou hunt flight but never day packs. Anyone ever weigh their day packs?

19-Jul-20
Along with the items already mentioned I carry a few small plastic canisters of cotton balls coated with vasoline. Works great for starting fire when dry stuff is tough to find

19-Jul-20

FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo

19-Jul-20
ground hunter: I'm a corn nut guy too but never again in the elk woods. Busted a molar on one in the San Juan Wilderness.

19-Jul-20
I carry a prepackaged survival kit everywhere. Sits in the bottom of whatever pack I'm carrying at the time, even summer scouting and fishing.

A must-have is a mini flashlight to change batteries on the headlamp. Try doing that sometime in the pitch black and you'll understand.

19-Jul-20
Not necessary for single day, but if you are going to be in for a couple, another is "tooth cap paste" just in case you break a tooth on a granola bar or peanut, etc. As big a a thimble from Walgreens.

19-Jul-20
Two flashlights and an extra release.

19-Jul-20
Forest, What type of pack is that? I'd like to look in to it Thanks

19-Jul-20
No one said Leukotape. Always keeps some wrapped around a lighter.

20-Jul-20
I don't think I've seen 550 cord mentioned, always handy to have some in the pack for multiple uses

20-Jul-20
Toilet paper, fire starter, headlamp, minimal 1st aid kit and rain gear are my basic essentials when hunting around home. I do bring more when on an away from home hunt in the real boonies.

20-Jul-20
All the above plus a half a doz zip ties. Sorry if mentioned before.

20-Jul-20
Probably about everything most people take on a 3 day bivy lol....

20-Jul-20
A day pack? Tags, food, water, game bags, head lamp, cell phone, rain gear if it's in the forecast. Usually TP, but not always. I still can't believe so many guys use baby wipes. If you have so much butt hair that you need baby wipes to clean up, then you need to remove said hair.

I bring the stuff people mentioned on an overnight trip.

And I do have a mini compass attached to my pack, but I don't think I've ever had to use it.

20-Jul-20
I cant believe no one mentioned "napping gear". Mid day naps are the best part of elk hunting! Bring a thermarest z seat or cut up a z lite so you can keep yourself off the ground and out of the sap.

20-Jul-20
Didn't see any tracking materials. Reflective tape/clips for night and extra TP or some paper towel for daytime blood trail marking. I also have a military tourniquet for WORST case scenarios.

20-Jul-20
I know Lou referenced this, spare light/headlamp.

A few years ago, I was hiking back to camp in rain/snow mix. I missed a turn and was temporarily “misplaced “ (bear in mind this was a brutal day and I was already exhausted). Still a couple of miles from camp, and the headlamp went out. Not batteries. Just snap and it was dark. With rain and cloud cover, it was dark dark. How do I find the spare headlamp? I used the backlight from my GPS to find it in my pack. (No phone at the time) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

20-Jul-20

22-Jul-20
Amen to that!

22-Jul-20
Depends on how far the season has progressed. I hunt all season long and my daypack always starts out more complete at the beginning and by the end I am carrying water, a snack, TP and my knife. Sad but true, lol.

• Sitka Gear