Nick Muche 20-Jul-20
Nick Muche 20-Jul-20
LKH 20-Jul-20
Nick Muche 20-Jul-20
TEmbry 20-Jul-20
Jasper 20-Jul-20
Medicinemann 20-Jul-20
20-Jul-20
Going on my first caribou hunt in Alaska in 21. Researching packs and boots and a few others things I need but what about a scope and tripod? Will my 10x40 Nikon binocs be enough or is a spotting scope worth the weight? It would be nice to have it for self videoing. Thanks much! John

20-Jul-20
I would put the money into a real nice pair of binoculars first.......

20-Jul-20
All i ever tack are good binocs

20-Jul-20
Binos

20-Jul-20
FYI good binos will cost over $1000, sometimes much more!

No they don't make a Trekking Pole tripod? Sounds like there is a thing or two you need to learn about optics. But at least you are getting out there.

20-Jul-20
Good binos

20-Jul-20
They do make a tripod that can be used as trekking poles, Spartan Precision Equipment makes one and it's surprisingly nice. A friend used one last year on one of our hunts and it worked great.

I'd get a real nice pair of Bino's and forgo the spotter if going guided. Or buy nice ones of both!

20-Jul-20

Nick Muche's Link

20-Jul-20
Hunted the Haul Road about 15 years when I still lived there. We used spotting scopes with window mounts on the pickups almost constantly. My father-in-law killed a PnY caribou that was bedded about 300 yards off the road. They were in scattered willows and many rigs had driven past them when we spotted the antlers with our scopes from about a mile away. He had quad bypass the previous year and was 80. Used a longbow.

We often found bou a long ways off the road that binos would miss.

It depends on how you are hunting and while you don't need them, they are very useful.

20-Jul-20
For the Haul Rd, or any DIY caribou hunt, I'd never go without a spotting scope.

20-Jul-20
I love having a spotter along but agree nice binos are more important if choosing between the two

20-Jul-20
Thanks Nick and everyone! Sounds like my best best is a bino upgrade.

20-Jul-20
Jasper, PM sent

• Sitka Gear