Ermine 21-Jul-20
Cheesehead Mike 21-Jul-20
BowmanMD 22-Jul-20
Brotsky 22-Jul-20
SaddleReaper 22-Jul-20
20-Jul-20

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I've never glassed very much but this September I'll be doing some high country mule deer hunting so that's going to change.

I have some good binos and I'll probably be buying a spotting scope. I also have this Slik U6000 camera tripod that weighs 2.5 pounds. I'm wondering if it would suffice as a binocular/spotting scope tripod or if I should buy something better/lighter.

If so, I'm looking for any suggestions, hopefully that won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance.

21-Jul-20
You need a tripod with legs that can be set at different angles. Vortex summit ss is what I have.

21-Jul-20
I agree with Greg. That tripod has the legs linked together. You need one with independent legs. I use a Bog Pod. Not the lightest but I can guarantee nothing is going to break. The spotting scope adapter also fits the bino attachment from Swarovski that has the threaded insert made to be accept the screw on other tripods. So both my spotter and binos snap on/off quickly and easily. I also have the rifle rest attachment so the tripod serves all purposes.

21-Jul-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Big Mike ~~I've been happy with these and they adjust for the lay of the land and they didn't break a guys bank.

Robb

21-Jul-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

21-Jul-20

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
Mike,

You can use what you have, if necessary. It will work.

There are lightweight options that you can look into. I like carbon legs. I use a Manfroto tripod with a pan head. It was about $400 when I bought it - maybe 15 or 16 years ago. I had been through a lot of tripods and considered this one as one of the best and most critical pieces of hunting gear I had ever bought. I use the hell out of mine and it has held up amazingly well. Would not go mule deer hunting without it!

21-Jul-20
Check camofire. They have deals on tripods with pan heads sometimes.

You might be able to pick something up relatively cheap.

21-Jul-20
Thanks guys. Having been a Land Surveyor for over 40 years and setting up thousands of tripods I should have realized I needed a tripod that didn't have the legs linked together...

21-Jul-20

Nick Muche's Link
This is a great tripod and cheap, I've been using the same one for 10 years all over the place. It easily supports my angled 80mm Swaro and/or 10x42 Bino's. I've replaced the head with an Outdoorsman and it's pretty dang nice. I usually do all of my glassing sitting or kneeling, this may not be the best for standing while glassing.

21-Jul-20
I use a pro master

21-Jul-20
Thanks Nick and Justin.

22-Jul-20
Outdoorsman system is by far the best one out there, imo. Definitely not cheap, but you pay once and never again. I've had mine for over 15 years and spent hours and hours behind it. Worth every penny. Love the pistol grip, too.

22-Jul-20
Sirui T-024sk with a VA5 fluid head. Good bang for the buck.

22-Jul-20
I'm not really a western hunter but i'll bet i rival a lot of them for time behind glass for open farm country whiteys.

I just picked up a Pro Master XC-M 525c (carbon tripod, twist lock 5 leg sections) and a Sirui Va-5 compact fluid pan head. Based on my lengthy research it was a top contender setup when considering performance/ cost. That particular model is good for sitting or standing, and a leg can even be removed for use as a monopod for glassing or as a treking pole..

• Sitka Gear