WI Shedhead 22-Jul-20
Tradmike 22-Jul-20
wyobullshooter 22-Jul-20
Mt. man 22-Jul-20
gil_wy 22-Jul-20
badbull 22-Jul-20
Outdoorsdude 22-Jul-20
21-Jul-20
What is your go to diaphragm call? Easiest, best sound for bugles?

21-Jul-20
I've used some awesome reeds over the years with great success from a variety of Call Makers. At present I use the Pink Amp from Phelpsgamecalls, it's one of the best I've used out of the bunch that I've had the privilege to call with. It's for hunters that can already use a mouth reed proficiently, although it's a single reed (1/2") it's fairly tightly stretched & excels in Bull Elk talk! You may want to give it a shot! -- If you're not a frequent user of mouth reeds then go with the White Amp, it's a tad lighter in latex stretch but is a great performer & a bit more user friendly!

ElkNut

21-Jul-20
Elk101 All-Star

21-Jul-20
I just got the orange amp by Phelps that I really like. Before that the yellow Rocky Jacobsen.

21-Jul-20
My fave for the past several years is the Phelps Dragon Slayer. It's a cut-double reed that I can use for every type of bugle, bull sound, and cow-calf call. Most versatile mouth reed I've ever used, and I've used a LOT, but probably not best for beginners.

21-Jul-20
Phelps made AMP anything is hard to beat.

21-Jul-20
Just goes to show that diaphragms are like boots, what works for one guy might not work for another. You need to experiment.

I hate the All Star, I can't make consistent sounds with it.

I started using Phelps Amp reeds last year and I think my favorites are the gray and the green.

21-Jul-20
Primos Top Pin model, lasts most of the season if I don't lose it and I can make all the sounds on it, just fits my mouth!

21-Jul-20
Primos Top Pin model, lasts most of the season if I don't lose it and I can make all the sounds on it, just fits my mouth!

21-Jul-20
I actually like the green Carlton's with the orange dome that are on Camofire with the CD right now. I called in my second biggest bull with the Carlton 2.5.

21-Jul-20
I hate domes too. The Phelps Dragonslayer doesnt have one. Basically a double reed with a cutout at the front edge of the top reed.

21-Jul-20
Phelps amp gray

21-Jul-20
I use the Primos Imperial plate for bull sounds - use the Phelp’s bugle tube for an amplifier.

22-Jul-20
old aluminum frame Carlton blue double...... nothing comes close

22-Jul-20
Wow lots of "favorites."I've tried most of the ones mentioned, but I carry the Primos Imperial plate and the Cash Cow. I spent $15 on one single Carloton Native and can't get it to sound anywhere close to the Primos. I try to get into situations where I don't need to call, but good to have confidence in sounding decent.

22-Jul-20
I'm with UCS on this, Phelps Amp Grey. Love it and fits my mouth perfectly. Just bought two more today.

22-Jul-20
please, berry game calls, medium golden dome! deadly for bulls.

22-Jul-20
I have switched from Carlton's 2.5 reed to the new series that Wayne's son is operating, "Native" by Carlton. I can get the various latex's in thinner or thicker sizes or varieties of mixed combinations. This has given me a wider arsenal of different sounds but this is not the main benefit. I am aggressive on a diaphragm and the biggest drawback with all the other reeds I have tried is the material around the latex always comes apart and or deforms from the moisture of being carried around in the mouth all day. Native is of a completely different material that does NOT come apart. The combination of the thicker tighter latex and outer material had allowed me to use one reed last year and I hunt all 30 days in September. The versatility in elk talk has been a plus in the area I hunt to give the resident bulls something they haven't herd before.

Not affiliated with company by the way.

22-Jul-20

22-Jul-20

22-Jul-20

22-Jul-20

22-Jul-20
I'm with ucsd on this, Phelps Amp Grey. Love it and fits my mouth perfectly. Just bought two more today.

22-Jul-20
please, berry game calls, medium golden dome! deadly for bulls.

22-Jul-20

22-Jul-20

Wow, hope it wasn't my computer that did that, It wasn't showing me that my posts were accepted but apparently they were. Don't know how to delete all of them. Sorry about that guys!

22-Jul-20
I'm with ucsd on this, Phelps Amp Grey. Love it and fits my mouth perfectly. Just bought two more today.

22-Jul-20
Glenn Berry Good luck Lewis

22-Jul-20
Rockie Jacobsen palate plate yellow and brown. Prefer them to the domed.

22-Jul-20
Carlton Triple works well for me.

22-Jul-20
Raging BULL, (Brown) the success over the years is all I need. Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls has all sizes, shapes and latex layers.

22-Jul-20
"Does anyone else have a problem with metal in their mouth? I just can’t do Phelps bc of the metal dome."

I know Nicolas Cage doesnt like metal in his mouth. Not sure if he hunts or not though.

:) #movielines

22-Jul-20
Primos palate plates. Soooo easy and sound good.

22-Jul-20
Phelps gray for me!!

22-Jul-20
Heres my take. On any given day they all work or none work. Its the frame of mind each elk is in at the time they here your call. Dont beat yourself up worrying about which call is the best.

22-Jul-20
^^^^ I couldn’t disagree more. Palates come in all different sizes and shapes. What works for one person is no guarantee that it’ll work for the next guy or gal. Just like boots, there’s a reason why there will never be a consensus on the “best”. BTW, if one knows what they’re doing and is capable of making various realistic elk vocalizations, one can change a bull’s “frame of mind” pretty darn quick!

22-Jul-20
Wyobullshooter X2! Many can change their frame of mind in a millisecond with the right sound.

22-Jul-20
Primos Ivory Palate plate or RM Black Magic

22-Jul-20
Primos has been my favorite but posts from above respected posters have caused me to give the Phelps diaphragms a go. I will check Cabela's/Basspro stock or see if they must be ordered elsewhere. Interesting posts above............ Badbull

22-Jul-20
Primos Imperial plate, for years....

every year I also try at least one other, this year it's the Maverick -- it will be in the wood with me this fall too!

• Sitka Gear