Mathews Inc.
Transporting bait to stand without quad?
Bears
Contributors to this thread:
Ibow 23-Jul-20
JL 23-Jul-20
SBH 23-Jul-20
Ibow 23-Jul-20
Ibow 23-Jul-20
Mike Ukrainetz 23-Jul-20
JL 23-Jul-20
grape 23-Jul-20
Dale06 23-Jul-20
Bou'bound 23-Jul-20
Nick Muche 23-Jul-20
Ibow 23-Jul-20
Shug 23-Jul-20
Nick Muche 23-Jul-20
JL 23-Jul-20
APauls 23-Jul-20
Ibow 23-Jul-20
Ibow 23-Jul-20
arky 24-Jul-20
altitude sick 24-Jul-20
JusPassin 24-Jul-20
RD 24-Jul-20
Burly 25-Jul-20
Ibow 25-Jul-20
JL 25-Jul-20
Huntskifishcook 25-Jul-20
Alexis Desjardins 25-Jul-20
Alexis Desjardins 25-Jul-20
Thunderhawk 25-Jul-20
Thunderhawk 25-Jul-20
LKH 25-Jul-20
23-Jul-20
My son in law got a coveted Baldwin Unit bear permit here in MI and since we don’t want to telegraph our stand locations, does anyone have a suggestion or experience with lugging bait long distances through a swamp? We’ll be using all types of things for bait including fryer grease, dog food, granola etc. Some type of pack frame? Some type of cart? What have you used? Thanks.

23-Jul-20
I'm in the Baldwin Unit. I used a deer cart myself for the initial set-ups. For public land I dug a deep hole in the ground and used heavy logs over the top to keep the coons/critters out. It seemed like every coon in the county was on my baits and if they get in there before the bears, they'll clean you out. After the initial set-up, I was using buckets to carry in the bait. It allowed me to get in and out quietly. If the bears are bedded nearby, they might get nervous and bail out if there is too much noise, especially when the hounds start chasing them all over the place. At that point, they will go nocturnal which doesn't do you any good. Also....you can also use a hollow log bait station with a slab of wood over the top on public land. You'll see some of those listed on Craigslist or FB. I'd make may own. Good luck....

23-Jul-20
We pack all our bait in on our backs with a pack frame. Pop some popcorn to lighten the load. 5 gallon bucket carried in your hand as far as the grease goes. Good luck on your hunt.

23-Jul-20
Thanks JL. That was helpful, especially knowing you also were in the Baldwin Unit. That’s our fear. Even though our spots are a long ways in, we don’t want them being used as strike baits.

23-Jul-20
Thanks SBH! Yup, we’ve also got a commercial popcorn popper for use.

We are throwing everything we’ve got at this as it took 14 years for him to get this permit!

23-Jul-20
A big plastic garbage can strapped to a pack frame and a young, strong lad to carry it!

23-Jul-20
"Thanks JL. That was helpful, especially knowing you also were in the Baldwin Unit. That’s our fear. Even though our spots are a long ways in, we don’t want them being used as strike baits."

Yup........I had hound hunters with their strike dog on the hood stop on the road where I walked in at o'dark thirty on the opener. The strike hound wouldn't shut up. A bear crossed the road to come in on my bait and of course the hound did his job. They seen my truck and moved on but the bait went cold for a while after that. That's the way it goes on public land. I've had a few pics of hounds at my baits. Here is a YT of hounds running by chasing something across the trail I was monitoring in October. Maybe a deer, maybe a bear, maybe a yote?

23-Jul-20
Chuck....give Lexi a call...he has lots of practice!!!!

23-Jul-20
Like someone said above, pack frame and 5 gallon bucket in each hand. I did it that way several years in Oregon, many years ago. And I killed bears every year.

23-Jul-20
Cart and pack

23-Jul-20
Each year we haul bait into several locations with frame packs.

23-Jul-20
Wow, JL... that’s so disheartening after all the work you put into it. I hope eventually you were successful. Those permits are so few & far in between.

Greg - I wish we could drive right up like we do there!

Nick Muche - Alaska and MI are different but curious as to what you use.

23-Jul-20
Jet sled

23-Jul-20
I use either a Kifaru Duplex with a grab it and lashing kit, or my Barney's Freighter pack which I bought specifically for hauling bait. I'd guess we haul in around 40-50 bags of dog food, a lot of fryer grease and a pile of 5 gallon buckets each spring over the course of the season. Anywhere from a 1/2 mile to a bit over a mile. It's not that bad, but just bad enough that most won't do it :)

23-Jul-20
Ibow.....I was running 3 baits that year. I never got the target bear after he went nocturnal. On the last day after I pulled everything out at that stand, I went back and sat down by a large tree just to finish out the season. After a bit, I just happened to look behind me and a smaller bear was about 30 yards away sitting like a dog watching me. He got the drop on me but I wasn't going to shoot it. I let it eventually walk by and go to the bait. That was pretty cool.

23-Jul-20
Only ever did my baiting by hand a frame pack is best bet. Even barrels go on easy. Pails of grease will usually leak down your back. Nothing gets a guy dirty like bear baiting!!!

23-Jul-20
Wow... great info guys. Really appreciate it. After 14 years and FINALLY getting a permit near our cabin, I just want to do all I can to make sure son in law gets the best chance he can. I’ll post as to his success! Thanks again to all of you!

23-Jul-20
JL... so appreciated your last post. Similar situation to me after my last Baldwin Unit permit. I had come home that summer after shooting a massive spring bear in MB and gave it a half butt effort up north at the cabin - way back, just after they started the permit thing here in MI. The last night I had about a 225 bear in front of me all night and let him go. I was into MB standards. Huge mistake. I’ve told my son in law not to shoot a small bear but in the Baldwin Unit, the permits are so few and in between, a rug for the cabin would be just awesome. He knows... he’s been bear hunting before in Canada. I just want this to work out for him. Even the grandkids are fired up and into it! Thanks for your advice and experience!

24-Jul-20
I’ve packed in more dog food then I can remember with a kifaru pack. Its not that bad when you embrace the suck. Makes success that much sweeter lol. Na it truly is a lot better with my kifaru the my older pack. Actually when baiting season started I was only two months out from hip surgery lol. No one ever accuses me of making good decisions lol

24-Jul-20
I used my max Mi points last year. We used 5 gallon buckets

Had 3 nice bears and several small bears hitting regularly

As soon as season hit they went nocturnal. So we guessed the hounds got on them.

One tag holder and 5 trucks

24-Jul-20
We packed totes in on a deer cart up in Ontario years back.

24-Jul-20
A few years back I made a harness that fit a 30 gal barrel for my pack frame and carried 5 gal pails in my hands.

25-Jul-20
I drew Baldwin this year also,I've just used 5 gallon buckets.

25-Jul-20
Thanks again for comments and suggestions. Really appreciated.

25-Jul-20
If I can get my oldest daughter to take time off from work, she will draw Baldwin at anytime now with 15 or 16 points. I think I'm sitting at 8 or so for now. FWIW....I was walking in to rebait one of the baits and inadvertently got too close to a little cub when it crossed the trail right in from of me and stopped next to me. The sow with a 2nd cub crossed about 40 feet up the trail. I had to freeze and let them clear out of the bait station area before I could proceed. All I had was a machete at that time. Luckily the sow didn't know I was next to her first cub. The lesson there is to set your bait up in such a position you can see it from a distance as you approach it. That was one of my several cool, close-up Baldwin bear encounters.

25-Jul-20
Popcorn helps alot, but rain turns it to mush fast. I usually do 2-3 trips with a large pack loaded down with a heavy bait that can handle rain and a large garbage bag of popcorn. I can only make it once a week to bait so really have to load it up when I can. A cart would be convenient, but not possible at my locations. Good luck!

25-Jul-20
Good luck Chuck and your son-in-law hope yous get a nice one, there’s no easy way to bring bait in on foot, we had a bait 3/4 of a mile in the bush packed in grease and oats on foot that was many years back. Wouldn’t want to do it now 61 years old finding easier ways to bait do it with machines, but in u guys situation got to do it on foot sounds like u will figure it out good luck post a pic of the bear if u kill one.

25-Jul-20
Good luck Chuck and your son-in-law hope yous get a nice one, there’s no easy way to bring bait in on foot, we had a bait 3/4 of a mile in the bush packed in grease and oats on foot that was many years back. Wouldn’t want to do it now 61 years old finding easier ways to bait do it with machines, but in u guys situation got to do it on foot sounds like u will figure it out good luck post a pic of the bear if u kill one.

25-Jul-20
I bait Amasa and Bergland. I use a ATV and still hump it in I do not waste my time with popcorn, that's for the weekend warriors. I have baits so remote hard to get a guy to sit them, due to the hours needed. I do use liquorice bits, to get the bear turning. I have the Hunter throw them out. You wait that long. For tag, PUT IN THE TIME. MOST WILL NOT. THEY DO NOT COMMIT ...BUT THOSE THAT DO SHOOT GREAT BEARS

25-Jul-20
At 71, I am still setting baits...love it,

25-Jul-20
We used an airboat.

• Sitka Gear