txhunter58 18-Jan-22
Jaquomo 18-Jan-22
Gunner GSP 19-Jan-22
Grey Ghost 19-Jan-22
Don 19-Jan-22
Don 21-Jan-22
eBike John 22-Jan-22
23-Jul-20
Lost my best whitetail spot last week. Landowner passed and its up in the air. On short notice I'm working on finding a new spot but am guessing people don't want me knocking on their doors right now. I'll probably still try a few and see what happens but in the meantime I have been scrambling to get cameras out on some public spots. In trying to get away from the trails I'm ending up covering a good bit of ground. So for those of you that actually own and use an ebike.....

1. Which one do you own? 2. How much did you spend? 3. Are you happy with it?

Seeing a lot of them out there now and prices are all over the board. Want to make sure I'm getting enough bike but I don't need the best of the best. Some of these things cost more than my 4 wheeler. Kinda crazy. I'm in MT for what its worth and I do need to be able to gain elevation and deal with snow. Thanks.

23-Jul-20
Just to be clear since my title was wrong I am talking about E bikes. Thanks

23-Jul-20
I'm a buy once, cry once kinda guy, so my wife and I own Bakcou Mules, and absolutely love them. We bought her the "step-thru" model with the 24" wheels, which are 2" shorter than the standard wheels. It fits her small body-size perfectly.

They are expensive, but they are the best hunting ebike on the market right now, based on my research. I highly recommend contacting John from Ebike Generation. He offers a generous Bowsite discount, and provides customer service that is second to none.

Good luck,

Matt

23-Jul-20

Gman's embedded Photo
Gman's embedded Photo
Bought 2 M2S rear hub bikes for myself and my wife. I use mine for hunting having taken it to Wy and Co with a cart behind to tow gear/meat. Has plenty of speed and battery life however won't pull steeper grades all that well. Much better to buy their mid drive motor one for less than $3 K Saw that motor out at the Pa sports show and it is built like a tank Same motor Bacou uses, which is a great bike if you want to spend the extra $$

23-Jul-20
Rambo. Happy with it for the price, but would prefer a bike with a suspension next time.

23-Jul-20
Gman makes a good point. The mid-drive motor is the way to go for climbing hills. Bakcou uses the Bafang Ultra motor on their Mules. Here's what their website states about the motor:

"The Mule was designed and engineered around the unparalleled power and performance of Bafangs ULTRA mid-drive motor. The Ultra motor is widely recognized as the “diesel engine” of mid-drive motors! It’s all metal, heavy-duty gearing, combined with the intelligence of an integrated torque sensor, make the Ultra motor the most capable, durable, and efficient motor on the planet. The Ultra motor is also referred to as a “smart motor.” The speed, cadence, shift, brake, and torque sensors provide continuous feedback from the rider to the motor. This allows the motor to deliver exactly what you ask. What you get, is a very natural feeling ride, even while providing a tremendous amount of torque and power output."

The other cool thing is the 750W and 1000W motors are the same motor with different programming. So, you can buy the 750W version to stay within the "non-motorized" regulations, then have it re-programmed to 1000W at a later time, if you desire more power. That said, the 750W is plenty powerful for my purposes, and I'm a big guy (6'4" and 250#).

Matt

23-Jul-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
RadRover 750w. Paid about $1500 delivered. Works just fine for me.

23-Jul-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I modified my game cart and put a hitch on it. My ebike pulls it just fine with someone sitting in the cart.

23-Jul-20
Sweet. That’s good to hear I may be able to get into one for less than $2k. Brad how far can you go on the batteries? How does it do on uphill?

23-Jul-20
x2 cnelk

23-Jul-20
I have a 29er I converted to Bike with the Bafang kit from Bafang USA with a 52v battery.

Any biker will tell you components matter, so be careful of a couple bikes mentioned as they are essentially Huffy bikes with motors.

These are perfect for rolling or flat stuff....not good for wet mountain trails trying to pull serious weight. I can get 25 miles on the fairly steep stuff here around my house on a high [6] level of assist. I can get a lot more at level 3-4, which Is what I use mostly since I'm trying to get a decent workout.

The electric motor has essentially extended my range on a Mountain bike. Where I was doing 8-10 miles before, now 20+ is about the same effort.

23-Jul-20
QuietKat Warrior for me. First year using it, so I haven’t been able to push its limits. From what I have been told and read the mid drive motor is the way to go.

23-Jul-20
My battery is 14.6ah. Based on what Ebike John mentioned on one of the ebike threads, of you double the battery ah (amp hrs) will give you an estimate for total battery miles. So I can go about 28 miles

23-Jul-20

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
120 lbs of sand in trailer.
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
120 lbs of sand in trailer.
Same as Matt. Buy once cry once. Bought from eBike Generation John ( Bowsite Sponsor)

It would climb a wall if I could hang on.

I have panniers also. Not in pic.

23-Jul-20
I claim to be a buy once cry once guy but on an ebike I am a cheap sumbitch. Wanted to give it a try first. Bought a used Rambo with no suspension and have had a blast. Have had on some steep rough ground but notin the Rockies yet. Lot of power And range but I pedal a lot for the workout My next bike will have suspension.

23-Jul-20

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Mine gets me there quick...but every animal in the county knows I’m there.

24-Jul-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Rad Wagon w/panniers and 5 gallon water containers in each side pannier as I train with the extra weight as it certainly 'Rides' different with the extra 85 lbs for sure in the dirt/rocks
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Rad Wagon w/panniers and 5 gallon water containers in each side pannier as I train with the extra weight as it certainly 'Rides' different with the extra 85 lbs for sure in the dirt/rocks
I too have the Rad brand, like Brad stated above, ya get about 25-28 miles off 1 battery charge. Of course that depends on the demand like long steep stretches or cold temps ect.

24-Jul-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
More of a side view
BULELK1's embedded Photo
More of a side view

24-Jul-20
Another vote for the Bakcou Mule. It is a lot of fun to ride, and is a useful tool for getting into areas quickly and quietly. The only issue I have found, is the front fender is flimsy and will make some noise in rough terrain. Still working on a fix for that. Hell, I may just take it off. Really a small issue in an otherwise great machine.

24-Jul-20
Also a Backou Mule guy here. Also from eBike John. My front fender doesn't rattle at all. The back one has the potential too up against your rack, but I just looped about 20 ft of paracord around and around the fender to the rack so that they are essentially tied together and don't rattle. This way I also have emergency paracord.

24-Jul-20
I have the Rad Rover and the biggest problem I have is flats from all the damn locust thorns. Just ordered the Tannus Armour inserts to see if that will help. Also going to slime the inner tube for any that get through the insert. Anyone have any other advice on that? John?

24-Jul-20
I too chose to purchase the MS2 bike. More economic and no problems. They are sold online directly from the manufacturer. I had a bum knee last fall and that bike kept me in the woods.

24-Jul-20
TREK 830 mountain bike I bought back in 1989. Still rides nice but needs some work.

24-Jul-20
Rambo for me, RAD for girlfriend. She is a strong biker but has never had any issues going up steep grades alongside me. And we ride some steep stuff where we live up here. Hers has suspension, mine does not. Hers has the 14 ah batteries, mine has 10. Hers cost 1500, mine 2500. I really like my Rambo and the components are a grade above hers, but will be upgrading my front fork (Rambo offers this) and hoping they come out with a 14 ah battery.

That said, we just did a 23.5 mile ride in the mountains and I still had plenty of battery left.

25-Jul-20
Matt, I've had good fortune with the Flat Attach Tire gel.

Just take the valve out and put in the FA gel, put the valve back in, spin the tire around a few times to spread it evenly and then fill with air.

Good luck, Robb

25-Jul-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

25-Jul-20
My research shows the best bang for your buck for a powerful mid drive is the MS2 all terrain ultra at $2700, but that doesn't include fenders and a rear rack (extra $130)

https://shop.m2sbikes.com/collections/frontpage/products/all-terrain-ultra-ht

Closest competition for mid drive with that power is the Rambo Nomad at $3800 but that comes with fenders, rear rack and light. Rambo pursuit is $2500 and has a mid drive, but not one with near the power at the MS2.

Since I am looking for a bike to use in Colorado elk hunting, I think the more power the better. I won't be going up any really steep terrain, but may be pulling a trailer with elk quarters on it.

MS2 says that bike won't ship until aprox August 25. With all the covid issues, I suspect that could be pushed back. Which makes it iffy for this elk season

25-Jul-20
Just be aware that the allowable wattage for BLM, Department of Interior lands, etc is 750. Thats the limitation for most states and counties/cities that allow them where regular bikes are permitted (CO, for instance). USFS folks have told me privately that when USFS gets around to allowing them, Class 2, 750 watts, will also be the limitation. The MS2 AT Ultra has more wattage than that and will likely never be allowed anywhere regular bikes are allowed. The Rambo Nomad is a 750 w Class 2

25-Jul-20
See now that is what is confusing. I chatted with a guy from MS2 about that and he said it WAS a 750 watt motor (says that one place in the add for that bike) but he said it can be Reprogrammed for more wattage?? So not sure what that means. The ad says 750 and 1500 watts in different places about that bike. Does anyone know for sure?

25-Jul-20

txhunter58's embedded Photo
As for MS2 ultra
As for MS2 ultra

25-Jul-20

25-Jul-20

But then there is this:

25-Jul-20
I was confused too. Ask them what class it is. I believe they all have to have a sticker stating the class now, by law. Class 2 is the cutoff for legal on DOI and will be on USFS when they follow suit.

Then again, this is sorta like letoff on bows. Most new bows have greater than 80% letoff these days, which makes them illegal in states like CO with an 80% letoff limitation. Who's going to check the wattage on a Bafang Ultra in the woods?

25-Jul-20
There are several companies that offer the ability for their motors, bafang motors, to be programmed up. I think Rambo has a model that can do that too. Not sure though which one. That M2S AT Ultra was designed to be their Hunting bike with frame upgrades, is what I was told. Its a newer design. They have many ebikes sold here in Pa. Im looking at an M2S mid drive but layoff and no UC $ for 12 weeks has me edgy:)

Heres an AWD sporting 2 motors of 750 W. made in Pa. $2700

https://www.timbertrail.bike/proddetail.php?prod=awdebike

These are cool: notice belt drive and 3 speed hub: Also made in Pa

https://www.swataracreekoutfitters.com/mtr-info

25-Jul-20
Glad we are getting some competition!

Where do they have pricing on the mountain research bikes?

27-Jul-20
@Shiras42, I have seen that Tannus Armor, it looks great but haven't tried it yet. if you put those on and use the slime you should never get a flat again. You may not even need the slime if the Tannus Armor tires are as good as they say.

27-Jul-20
And Yes, I do offer a bowsite discount but I'm not allowed advertise it (not forum rules, dealer agreement rules). so reach out privately or contact the store directly and mention bowsite.

27-Jul-20
Here is the answer I got from MS2 on how their ultra is classified:

It is a class III, the bike is a 750w motor and can reach up to 28 MPH speeds on pedal assist and throttle

27-Jul-20
So as you stated, it looks like Colorado at least allows up to class 2 on many trails:

https://coloradosun.com/2019/09/19/electric-powered-bikes-are-now-allowed-on-blm-and-national-park-trails-and-not-everyone-is-happy-about-it/

27-Jul-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Not an ebike but it's best $400 I ever spent regarding easy off road transportation. I use it more than my polaris 4 wheeler. I plan on adding front shocks soon though.

27-Jul-20
Yes, the State does ( State Parks and Wildlife areas) and so does BLM, National Parks, Wildlife Refuges. Most states and municipalities have a cutoff of Class 2. I've spoken with several policy makers at USFS who believe Class 2 will eventually be allowed on closed roads and some single tracks, as USDA follows along with Department of Interior after their pilot programs are evaluated.

For those places where only Class 1 are allowed, most Class 2 can be down-converted to Class 1 by disconnecting and/or removing the throttle.

27-Jul-20
If you take off the battery and just pedal, do you have any brakes?

27-Jul-20
Yes, the brakes are just like a regular mountain bike, and are independent of the motor.

Matt

27-Jul-20

Brun's embedded Photo
Brun's embedded Photo
Rad Rover

27-Jul-20
Where do I order one of those Brun!

With the elk of course!

27-Jul-20
Rad rovers are temping, being at the $1500 price point. But they don't offer a mid drive. For those that have bought a rear hub drive, are you satisfied? I don't plan on going up anything really steep, but the elk country I hunt does have some steep. But also wonder if I the extra power would also help pulling a little trailer loaded with an elk?

To step up to a Rambo mid drive 750 watt, jumps the price $750 to $2250 (from John with a bowsite discount) The biggest deficiency there is no suspension.

28-Jul-20
You can upgrade the Rambo and add front suspension. I go back and forth about whether to upgrade mine. We ride a lot of rough stuff and I watch girlfriend's front shocks work and it does seem like it might make a difference. I think the Rambo front shock kit is around $150?

The Rambo components are a step up from the RAD in quality, and it sure is a solid machine. I've put over 500 miles on mine and it's still going strong like the day I bought it.

28-Jul-20

This makes the Rad sound pretty good:

28-Jul-20
Just about have myself talked into a Rambo with the 750 mid drive. That gives me 2 choices on models: the Ryder or the Pursuit. The main difference I can see is the Ryder has 24" wheels and the Pursuit has 26" wheels. Advantages/disadvantages of the different size tires? On the surface the 26" would have the advantage on the flats and the 24" would on the hills?

28-Jul-20
26" with 4.5" tires is a great combination for rough riding.

29-Jul-20
Does anyone own the Rambo Pursuit? Found out the motor on it makes a clicking noise when you are riding, so it is not silent. Can anyone tell me about this and should it be a concern? When you are pedaling and having chain noises anyway, is it a big deal?

01-Aug-20
Quiet Kat Warrior

01-Aug-20
Lou,

The front suspension makes a huge difference in ride quality and handling on rough terrain. The Mule's front suspension is adjustable, or it can be locked out (no suspension) entirely. When I first rode mine, the suspension was locked out and I didn't realize it. The washboard roads around my place nearly rattled my teeth out. I was kinda disappointed initially, until I realized the problem. Once I unlocked the suspension, it was like night and day difference. I highly recommend it.

Matt

01-Aug-20
The 26" wheels with fat tires are great on most terrain. the larger diameter the wheels the easier it is to roll over objects like rocks and similar obstacles. But the 24" wheels do make the overall size of the bike and standover height more accessible for riders that are not very tall. Then the motor is the most important decision based on your needs. A good mid drive motor has 160Nm of torque and can climb pretty much anything. While a rear hub motor has around 60Nm of torque and that's not enough to get a 70lb bike plus rider up a steep hill. So the terrain you ride will dictate which motor you need. The battery is what determines how far you can ride before running out of juice. A general rule of thumb to calculate the range would be to double the Ah value to get miles per full charge. For example, if the battery has 10Ah double that number and you get 20 miles per full charge. that is 20 miles on throttle power (no pedaling), if you use pedal assist the battery will last a few miles longer. Then obviously rider weight, headwind, hills or no hills, cold weather all play into the performance of a battery.

01-Aug-20
Good advice about the battery. My Rambo has a 10 ah battery and Ive ridden up to 24 miles in the mountains with what appears to be plenty of battery remaining. So much depends on how much assist you use vs. manpower.

02-Aug-20
I just pulled the trigger on a Rambo Pursuit 750watt Mid-Drive 26" bike. Took a hard look at the Radrover (hub drive only) and the MS2 Ultra, but finally came back to ebike John and the Rambo. Ordered the bike with fender/rear rack/light/waterproof bag, a front rack, and 2 quiet Kat Saddlebags. Total for everything delivered to my door with my Bowsite discount of 10% was $2480. Won't be headed to Colorado until late September or early October, but will be anxious to put it thru it paces when I do!

I already have one of these hand pull came carts: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/ridge-hunter-game-cart?searchTerm=Ridge+Hunter+Game+Cart It doesn't look much different than the Rambo 2 wheel cart, and I think I should be able to make that work. If not, I will probably opt for the Rambo pull behind 1 wheel cart.

02-Aug-20
I think you'll really enjoy it!

03-Aug-20
tx- I hope you enjoy your purchase. I challenge anyone to ride an e-bike and not wear a sh!t eating grin!

I have been on vacation so I missed most of this conversation. Glad to hear you looked at the Bafang Ultra. My Mule has it. It would climb a wall if you could hang on. The feature that sold me on the Mule is walk assist. I hunt some steep country. The ability to walk bike/trailer in spots to hairy to climb is important to me.

03-Aug-20
Thanks Z! Couple reasons I didn’t go for the ultra:.

Price

Wanted to stay with the class 2 bike.

And for the ultra I could afford, the MS2 ultra, Customer service was not great. Made 2 online appts for someone to call me. They didn’t call. Then when I got ahold of them, it sounded like a 30 something very experienced biker who had trouble explaining to a novice the things I needed to know. We didn’t talk the same language. For someone who knows his stuff, I am sure they would do fine.

Lastly, I am sure the Rambo will go up anything that I feel comfortable going up with a bike!

03-Aug-20
Tx, your Rambo also has a strong walk assist, which really comes in handy on some steep rough patches where you may not want to ride. Rambo's customer service was excellent before the Chinese flu hit, still ok since they started working remotely.

03-Aug-20
Thought so Jaq. Thx! I am sure not carrying the bike up the steep stuff!??

03-Aug-20

03-Aug-20
Huffy And a 1979 Schwin Traveler III

03-Aug-20
Brun's pic is one of my all-time favorites. ;-)

Those of you with Mules, has your kickstand gotten loose and rattles in the up position? That and the flimsy front fender have been my only complaints in over 200 miles.

Matt

03-Aug-20
which e-bikes are made in the USA?

03-Aug-20
Cocoon man, from an internet search it seems only a few obscure townie and folding bikes

03-Aug-20
I was under the impression Bakcou manufactures their frames in the USA, but many of the components they use are made elsewhere. I may be mistaken.

Matt

03-Aug-20
a peddle bike

03-Aug-20

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Here's what I purchased ---- (It's an MB - 200). Unfortunately I can't ride it now due to knee and back issues.

When I ordered it I also ordered heavy duty shocks and a bigger sprocket for more low end torque. According to the info on it, it will go about 35MPH before I put on the bigger sprocket - now about 32MPH or so, which to me is WAY, WAY to fast.

Prior to medical issues I drove it around the yard a few times - fun to putter around on. Back in high school I had a motorcycle for a few years, but now that I'm in my mid-60's, I'm a bit uneasy on it.

03-Aug-20
These are peaking my interest more and more, but I have a question. Forgive my ignorance.

What keeps somebody from stealing one of these? Can you disengage it somehow once parked and away from the bike?

03-Aug-20
Panther. I have a few ways to disable my Mule. Remove battery and padlock it up. The controller also has a password option. But this wouldn’t prohibit someone from using pedal only.

03-Aug-20
I assume you need a cable lock to attach to a tree, chain both wheels together or something similar. So unless someone packs in a bolt cutter it should be secure. But thx for asking because I want to see if there is a way to secure them so someone can’t just ride off if not locked up. And at 60+ lbs I doubt if anyone will cart it out on their back

03-Aug-20
I hide it in the timber, remove the battery and hide it someplace else, and lock with a serious cable lock. Have never had an issue but if I was worried I might put a mini-trail cam on it.

04-Aug-20
These are peaking my interest more and more, but I have a question. Forgive my ignorance.

What keeps somebody from stealing one of these? Can you disengage it somehow once parked and away from the bike?

04-Aug-20
How heavy is the battery if you decide to just put it in your pack?

04-Aug-20

04-Aug-20
txhunter, you won't want to carry the battery in your pack. They are very heavy. I don't know the exact weight, but it would be like sticking 3-4 bricks in your pack.

Matt

04-Aug-20
I have a Rambo, it’s a good bike but there are definitely things I would change. The bottom bracket is low so your pedals can quite easily hit the ground in rough terrain. I’d also like to see the rear derailleur protected since I’ve ripped that off once.

05-Aug-20
I have the Rad Rover and have put just about 850 miles on it with zero issues. I mainly ride gravel logging roads in western Washington and usually 20-30 miles per charge depending on how much I pedal. It works great for what I use if for and is a ton of fun to ride and I still get a awesome workout. I do wish mine was the step thru model though.

12-Aug-20
Just got notified that they are shipping my Rambo. :-) should have it by Next week. And they Now have bikes in stock which is hard to find these days

22-Dec-21
The washboard roads around my place nearly rattled my teeth out. I was kinda disappointed initially, until I realized the problem. Once I unlocked the suspension, it was like night and day difference. I highly recommend it.

22-Dec-21
I bought also a Rad Rover and I love it a lot, as it doesn't need that many expenses as my scooter did. However, I had some headaches with finding an insurance company for it as the majority of them cover it partially but not fully. In the end, I have found this one simplebikeinsurance which met all my expectations as it has policies for all the needs and also reasonable prices. Plus, I like that they cover your medical expenses if you are injured during a ride.

23-Dec-21
I bought a RadRover in 2019. It's a decent bike for the money but disappointed in it's climbing ability. Thinking of selling it and upgrading to something with a mid drive.

23-Dec-21

Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Bought a Rambo Bushwacker this spring, 3rd gear, which is the weakest, skips. The other gears do, but intermittently. Waiting since August for Rambo to send me a replacement rear wheel w/hub. In July I bought their AWD Krusader, and love it. Has more torque on the holeshot, and traction is phenomenal. However, PAS on hills is not as good as a mid-drive, but where I use it, it's not a concern. I'm 250# and it pulled this small buck with no problem. They're nice to have if you hunt alone and don't have someone to help drag a deer out, especially long distances.

23-Dec-21
I heard that supply chain issues have really affected the EBike market last year. Hopefully that’s resolved now since Jen Psaki announced that Biden saved Christmas by solving the supply chain problem.

24-Dec-21
^^ So long as you aren't expecting a treadmill.

24-Dec-21
I have 2, but the most expensive one is a Quiet Kat Apex. I've put over 100 miles on it on rough terrain and had multiple flat tires because the factory tires are paper thin and tread is spaced wide. The kickstand broke and I found out it is plastic. The battery doesn't last very long, and I can drain it in 15 miles on throttle mode. The gears do make quite a bit of noise while shifting, enough noise in fact it will scare deer 400 yards away. This bike was something like $4700 new, but I paid $3400 because the archery shop couldn't sell it to local rednecks that only pay that much for a fun truck or gas powered ATV. If I had it to do over, I may have ordered a $1600 Becool or some other brand with similar options of disc brakes, front suspension and 750-1000 watts. My bike has all of that, but it has the problems I mentioned.

24-Dec-21
Gman Now that the original post has new life I will add my comments since I have purchased the M2S Ultra, also own the rear drive from them so can accurately compare. The other mid-drive motors out there on fat tire bikes are good but if you were able to see the motors side by side and see the size difference from the Bafang Ultra to the B line of motors there is a big difference. Bafang Ultra is close to twice the size of others, saw it at the last sport show in Pa. Had the opportunity to use it this past season and it had amazing power. Climbed every hill I tried. If your shopping be sure to check size of battery. New Ultra has 19ah battery, which is a big upgrade in battery reserve for the $$. Compare batteries the n shopping for bikes. Has walk assist mode, can reprogram to lower speed limit and power to meet Class 2 along with disconnecting throttle. Rear drive can be driven if motor is inoperable, mid drive can't peddle if motor takes a s--t. Now only thing needed is to have states like Pa who are losing hunters yearly allow senior license holders and handicapped to use their E-bikes anywhere anytime on Pa game lands

24-Dec-21

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
QK Ranger here with the larger battery. I also used the spray gel inside the factory tires without issue. Lots of battery power using the pedal assist. Added rechargeable lights and bow/gun holder grips. Absolutely love it.

24-Dec-21
The supply chain for ebikes has loosened up per Jen psacky, but they all just circle back

24-Dec-21
I upgraded to a Bakcou Mule last summer. Love the ability to switch assist from "econo" to "sport" modes depending on steepness. Also has the ability to crank the wattage way up or down as needed. Pretty awesome tool.

Butcher, is that true that the M25 can't be pedaled if the motor craps out? I ride my Rambo R750 and also the Bakcou with everything turned off for fitness workouts. No issues with pedaling.

24-Dec-21

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
Love this bike but thinking I need to find an ebike and would probably use it a lot more.

24-Dec-21
I have the Rambo pursuit seems like a good bike. I have problems with it intermittently losing all power. Usually cycling the power off and on several times restores the power. Rambo Sent a new display didn't fix it. Been waiting on a new battery for couple months now. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. It's a blast to ride and I really enjoy it. Glad I purchased it. Need to come up with a single wheel trailer for.

24-Dec-21
I own two eBikes: A Backou Storm and a QuietKat Ambush. They are both great bikes.

After using them a lot I have had some issues with both bikes, but nothing that was unmanageable.

On the Backou storm I busted a lot of chains. I think the Torque that bike’s power creates a lot of stress on the chain. I brought it to a bike shop and they swapped out a better chain and it’s been good ever since.

On the QK Ambush the battery occasionally goes completely dead. I contacted QK and they were not very responsive. Their solution was for me to send the battery back but that would put my bike out of commission so I never did it. Powering off the bike would fix the problem. Sounds like the exact same problem Bowbaker mentions above but on a different bike. So I suspect that it is the battery.

But overall I’m very pleased with both bikes. I use them all the time, I’m not easy on them, and I’ll never hunt deer without them again.

24-Dec-21
I have older Rambow gen3, and have put it through the paces, I E. beat the crap out of it. Have a few issues, stuff loosens and falls off constantly. The battery ratings are all a joke if you are a larger dude. It struggles going up steep inclines when Im geared up, Im sure im approaching 300 lbs with clothes and pack etc.

The miles must be rated for light people, my hunting partner is 170 and doesnt run out like I do. We have no power source at the cabin, so it can be an issue. But I still love it, for deer in WI and Kansas on private land. I use it all the time, and still smile when Im riding in silence to a camera or stand.

24-Dec-21

Knifeman's embedded Photo
Knifeman's embedded Photo

24-Dec-21
I like Rambo AWD because there's only one rear sprocket. The IGH (Internal Gear Hub) bikes are OK, but in reality, the only IGH that can withstand the torque of a mid-drive motor is the Rohloff hub, but that comes with a high price tag. Buying an E-bike with one will be a couple/few thousand more, and trying to convert an existing bike with one ain't no do-it-yourself project, and finding someone who can won't be easy either. So IMO, the most reliable and dependable E-bikes are AWD. Also, all Bafang motors have walk assist mode, it's not an option only Bakcou has.

24-Dec-21
I believe the distance/throttle speed rating is for 170 lbs. So yes, 300 would definitely affect it. My wife and I have identical Mules, and she gets more range than I do on our same rides.

27-Dec-21
Jaquomo Sorry for the confusion. You can peddle a mid drive in 0 power assist. What I was referring to if the mid motor becomes jammed up and you can't move the pedals your dead in the water

27-Dec-21
Butcher, I've never heard of a factory installed Bafang mid drive "jamming", only a few DIY home conversions. I've had ebikes for four years, of three different brands (between me and wife) and ride multiple times a week on rough, steep roads and trails where I live in the mountains. I have numerous friends who also have ridden hundreds of mountain miles with mid-drives.

Do you know of some instances/ brands where this was a problem?

01-Jan-22

Wvhoyt's embedded Photo
Wvhoyt's embedded Photo
I recently got myself a Bakcou Mule step through and I am enjoying it so far. Still not sure on the shifting but it should come along. Can't wait to check cams, haul tree stands minerals etc...

08-Jan-22
Anybody tried a Beecool?

11-Jan-22
Folks, do any of you have any good footage showing you climbing a good gradient?

I get asked all the time if the bikes (mid drives specifically) can really climb hills. I say yes and explain about torque and traction etc. But since I'm the one selling the ebikes I think there's a little distrust. if any of you guys have some footage showing climbing capabilities, would you mind sharing? It could help.

11-Jan-22
Hi John. I can get some footage for you after the snow melts a bit. I really have been blown away at the climbing ability of both the Rambo 750 and Mule mid drives. But I also understand that leg strength and overall weight (rider plus pack) play a part when you get to max demand on a really steep hill, so what may work for me at 220 lbs (me + loaded day pack) with fit legs may be a stretch for someone who weighs 280 loaded, with not so strong legs.

No matter what, bicycle people who join me on mountain rides on my extra ebike (Rambo 750) are blown away at what we can climb.

18-Jan-22
I’m not feeling the $5000-$8000 bikes. Anyone have suggestions under $2000?

18-Jan-22
Yeah Don. I can get you into a 4 Speed used Huffy. About 36 years old, but immaculate condition. Highway Miles only

18-Jan-22
Check with John at Ebike Generation. There are some high quality bikes in the low $2000s. Tell him you're a Bowsiter.

18-Jan-22
Thanks Jaquomo

18-Jan-22
The warden and I love our Mules, but I’ve had a reoccurring problem. The nuts that hold the cranks to the motor keep coming loose. I’ve had a crank fall off in mid-ride twice. I was fortunate to find the nut both times. I’m afraid if I put more torque on them they'll strip. Should they have loc-tite on them?

Matt

18-Jan-22
Rad Rover can be had under $2000. Pretty decent bikes. That is what I got for my wife. But she isnt hard core

Like everything else with Covid, prices have gone up. Got my Rambo mid drive for $2500, but would be at least 3000 now for the same bike and accessories

18-Jan-22
Matt, we've never had that issue but I check nuts and bolts regularly since we ride on a lot of rough terrain. Loktite might not be a bad idea.

19-Jan-22
GG. I have the Mule. Medium grade (blue) loctite on everything that has come loose..

19-Jan-22
Thanks guys, I only have red Loctite at the moment, but I'll pick up some blue on my next trip to town.

Matt

19-Jan-22
Thanks Jaquomo

21-Jan-22
No Trek or Specialized riders?

22-Jan-22
Don,

An affordable bike under the $2K range could be Himiway. They have a model called the Cruiser and it's the same bike as the Rad Rover. Just labeled as Himiway but it's the same bike. Here's the collection of Himiway bikes:

https://ebikegeneration.com/collections/himiway-electric-bikes

• Sitka Gear