Jebediah 27-Jul-20
Lee 27-Jul-20
Lee 27-Jul-20
Witchdoctor 27-Jul-20
olebuck 28-Jul-20
>>>---WW----> 28-Jul-20
Steve H. 29-Jul-20
25-Jul-20
Spare me the comments of weight loss. Most obese people know they have to lose weight and are victims of genetics. That said.., I have a 48” waist and weigh 300#, probably 320 with boots, hunting clothes, and weapon. I currently wear a lone wolf tree stand harness and it works. Is saddle hunting for me, or should I stick to tree stands and the ground?

26-Jul-20
Only you can make that decision, if they make a saddle that fits buy one and give it a try. Give yourself every chance to be successful at it. Start now and practice practice practice with your system. Everyone has to make adjustments to get their own system down and that comes from practice. Don't ever let anyone else tell you what you can or can't do, unless it's dancing with a bear. Bears will kill you.

26-Jul-20
I don’t think anyone makes one to fit a 48” waist. I’d call them all too see though. Good luck on your search.

26-Jul-20
At work we had a 300# limit on our bucket trucks.

26-Jul-20
Could you somehow get access to one to try it out for a little while, even at ground level? I have the largest size of the one from Tetherd, I’m on the large side, and there’s plenty of room in it. Only got it a few months ago. I think (?) both the saddle and the sticks (from various manufacturers) are “rated” for 300 pounds. I’m not giving any safety advice, but it’s hard for me to imagine that at 301 pounds it all falls apart. Concerning my own setup, I have the least faith in my sticks. They seem pretty delicate. I have learned exactly what was said already: unlike with the climber, which is pretty much hook-it-up-and-go, there are a lot of details/variables with this saddle setup. Really seems to require the development of a personalized system. I can only speculate at this point, but I imagine that when that system is fully-fledged and operational, it’s pretty great.

26-Jul-20
Also worth being aware that you can rig up a system where you have fully-redundant, no-slack fall protection from the moment you leave the ground. Described it recently on Massachusetts web page, happy to repeat it here if any interest. Not an expert, for sure, but have been fooling around with it a lot lately.

26-Jul-20
I measured the waist strap (like the belt on one’s pants), it is 51 inches, on the “Tetherd Mantis.” Which I bought just weeks prior to its becoming obsolete. Obviously I don’t know if it’s the same on their new model.

26-Jul-20
300 and 48" waist, not busting balls but I am 235 and 6 ft and have a 37" waist. Several friends that are 300 to 340 and biggest waist is 42"s. They do not have an issue with the Mantis saddles. Shawn

26-Jul-20
I am shaped like a potato.

26-Jul-20
Some great advice! Some people are just bigger than others!

Start at ground level and get comfortable. Don't push it and make sure your equipment is rated for your weight plus extras. Most climbing gear is rated very high, so is fall protection equipment, but be cautious and choose wisely! It may cost a little more, but your life is worth it!!

26-Jul-20
There is a video of the mantis saddle holding up a Jeep.

27-Jul-20
The amsteel they use for the bridge is ridiculously strong even though it doesn’t look it. The Tethrd guys seem pretty accessible - I’d give them a call and discuss it. I believe they are all hand sewn - might be able to let one out a little bit when they are making it?

Good luck,

Lee

27-Jul-20
Yes on the accessibility. I sent them some suggestions and they got right back to me. Explained in much kinder words why my ideas were idiotic.

27-Jul-20
Also, they do some kind of traveling medicine show to spread their message (and their products). Maybe if they come to a place nearby, that would be an opportunity to check it out. The cost on these setups is astronomical, I would be pretty hesitant to shell out that money if I had serious doubts.

27-Jul-20
The amsteel they use for the bridge is ridiculously strong even though it doesn’t look it. The Tethrd guys seem pretty accessible - I’d give them a call and discuss it. I believe they are all hand sewn - might be able to let one out a little bit when they are making it?

Good luck,

Lee

27-Jul-20
Weird - double post - sorry

27-Jul-20
Thanks a bunch gents!

I’ll be talking with some of the manufacturers

28-Jul-20
check out cruzer saddles. i have one. i really like it....

28-Jul-20
Ground blinds might be a better option for you. I love them.

29-Jul-20
Absolutely and I'd go a step further and say you'd be an unsafe fool at that size to climb trees using anything BUT a saddle. I've got a friend that is a big boy in MS, although small to you at 3 bucks, that has been doing it for decades. If you can't find what you want I have an almost brand new "Guidos Web" I'd part with at a fair price. They are the chair style saddle.

• Sitka Gear