SteveB 30-Jul-20
Trophyhill 30-Jul-20
Norseman 30-Jul-20
splitlimb13 31-Jul-20
Habitat 31-Jul-20
butcherboy 31-Jul-20
elkmtngear 31-Jul-20
26-Jul-20
What does it mean to quarantine in a state such as NM with a 14 day quarantine in place? Can I quarantine on a secluded mountain. The NM tourism website says to quarantine for 14 days or every day of a shorter trip. Am I allowed to quarantine in the woods?

26-Jul-20
Here, if mandated to quarantine. You are contacted randomly by officials and must be able to answer questions and prove quaratine.

26-Jul-20
"Am I allowed to quarantine in the woods?"

Since YOU ARE bringing the virus with you, you're supposed to go directly to your place of "quarantine". Don't pass Go and collect $200. Don't stop to get fuel. Don't stop to get groceries, or ice, or...

Mass mobile phone travel is being tracked. Just sayin'. Hopefully is changes by Sept when a lot of people begin to travel.

26-Jul-20
I won’t need groceries and can get gas in Arizona. The only place my feet would need to touch the ground would be on the mountain where I plan to social distance well beyond standard guidelines ;) for 14 days. I am also coming from a county with 3 reported cases since March. I have a better chance of catching it than infecting someone else.

26-Jul-20
NM has a crystal clear 14-day quarantine order in place for all non-residents entering the state - no telling how long it will continue to be in effect. HDE is correct - according to the Governor’s Order (attached), any non-resident entering the state must go directly to their place of lodging and not leave except to get medical care for the duration of the quarantine period.

Under those rules, folks would need to declare a campsite and not leave it to go hunting for 14 days.

Was also looking at Elk hunts for this season and the NM Order took that state out of the running. Of course there will always be some outlaws who ignore the order and go ahead and hunt anyway - but then you’ll also create new legal issues with harvest reporting, and possible conflicts with other state and federal laws for out-of-state hunters. It just isn’t worth it.

https://cv.nmhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Executive-Order-2020-054-2.pdf

26-Jul-20
I'd make a phone call. If you were to go directly to your place of lodging and you went directly to your camp site and stayed for two weeks without leaving you should be okay. I don't believe a lot of hunters would follow those rules if a blizzard hit or they got into some real bad weather.

26-Jul-20
In all honesty. I don’t see how our fantastic governor can really enforce this quarantine. Here in the northwest part people travel back and forth between NM, CO, AZ, and UT on a regular basis and no one self quarantine’s. I’m not saying to just be a rebel, just telling it how it is. Here’s another thought, if it weren’t for rebels wouldn’t we all still be subjects of England?! Lol

26-Jul-20
Not likely a blizzard where I am going. I guess I’ll have to show up two weeks early and get camping. ;)

26-Jul-20
Another problem here is that I believe the Forest Service has a limit on how many days you can stay at a specific camp site. After so many days you have to pack up and move to a new location. I saw them do this to a friend of mine one year.

26-Jul-20
Once you’re quarantined for 14 days in one spot you should be able to freely move I would think.

26-Jul-20
How many NR big game licenses did NM sell for 2020? Question would be, will they issue refunds for all those who don't have an extra 2 weeks to spend in solitary? My guess....that'd be almost everyone. And will the state govt re-imburse outfitter's fees for those who contracted? And how about the fees NR's paid for LO tags? Since these are all based on permits that were issued by the state govt and purchased by NR's in good faith so to speak. Just wondering how that'll all work, if a quarantine is actually going to be enforced.

26-Jul-20
All BLM lands have a 14 consecutive day camping limit. It’s probably one of the least enforced laws in Colorado, but I don’t know about NM. It does present a unique conundrum with quarantine regulations however.

Matt

26-Jul-20
as a NR, if you go to NM and shoot something on opening day, what the heck would you do? you would have to butcher it onside and leave or have a freezer. no going to town.

26-Jul-20
The quarantine doesn’t say you have to star for 14 days. If I killed on the first day I’d go home and process then.

26-Jul-20
Most folks I know haven't followed the quarantine or stay at home rules throughout this whole thing. Even the ones that argue they are a good thing.

26-Jul-20
Self isolate 14 days or duration of stay, which ever is shorter.

26-Jul-20
We rented a house for our NM hunt. As of now my plan is to drive directly there after we fill up on gas. Will hunt from the house each day. Hopefully don’t have to use local stores. If they start cracking down on the quarantine will cancel the house and just bring camping gear.

26-Jul-20
Folks can try to rationalize and twist the quarantine order, but it clearly says folks cannot leave their lodging during the 14 day period except to get medical care. So, leaving camp or other lodging to go out to hunt during the quarantine period is not in compliance with the order. When looking to skirt the edge a point to keep in mind is the individual’s interpretation of the rules really doesn’t matter. If something goes sideways and law enforcement gets involved all will be up to them and the prosecutor. I had a good opportunity to hunt NM Elk this coming season but the order made me pass, and I’ll be hunting another state and not worry about it.

26-Jul-20
Is a mandate law? I know cities can enforce ordinances but can a state enforce something that’s not law? It seams more of a bully tactic than anything. Is anyone going to be out in the woods enforcing this deal. No ones out in the woods enforcing atv restrictions in any NM unit so I’m a bit skeptical.

26-Jul-20
Check the county to see if the Sheriff's department is enforcing it. Here in CO we have a mandatory mask rule in public places but many county sheriffs have declared they won't enforce it. I was in Walden a couple days ago and the only people wearing masks were tourists, even in stores, etc..

26-Jul-20
The only Law enforcement required to enforce it would be the State Police. My county sheriffs department and even city police aren’t enforcing it. Some restaurants were closed because they refused to the no dining in order. Their food handlers license was revoked. It’s all a bully tactic for sure.

26-Jul-20
It’s not law. It’s an order enforced by state “police”. Misdemeanor offense.

26-Jul-20
Seems ridiculous if you will be in the woods the whole time.

26-Jul-20
Who the hell is going to check camps LOL I can't say the last time I got my license checked by a warden and the only state troopers I have ever seen in the mountains were because a person hit their PLB.

What a freaking joke

26-Jul-20
That is so not enforceable. I'm sposed to where a mask everywhere I go too. I suppose the gustapo will gladly enforce the rule over stopping dangerous criminals, rioters and looters. This governor can go screw herself. Better yet, she can let Biden do her

26-Jul-20
That’s kinda my thoughts John. ;) I just wanted some second opinions. Lol. I will be there for 14 days before opening day though.

26-Jul-20
Just more proof of what happens when you let politicians manage situations they have NO business getting involved in!

I went to a 3D shoot today. The course was open but the practice range was off limits!!! And when you pulled your arrow from the target, you had to WEAR GLOVES! WTF??? It's YOUR arrow!!!

But...this IS Illinois after all. I guess I should be thankful that our Governor Pritzger hasn't found a way to tax it....yet.....

26-Jul-20
I drove through NE NM yesterday. I was passed and passed at least 25 Texas plates on my way through. The gas station in Raton was full of Texans. Admittedly probably 95% of those Texans were on their way to CO. How in the world would NM enforce this quarantine rule? Go hunt, have fun.

26-Jul-20
haha i live in high rolls. the texas plates going up and down the mountain is a joke. if you think these texans are quaranting i got a bridge to sell you

26-Jul-20
Oh, I forgot to mention. The governor doesn't have jurisdiction on Fedaral land. That's why back at the start in March, only state parks and camping within was closed. You could still go and do whatever camping and shed hunting on BLM and USFS.

And then there were the governor's own violations of her own edicts when she partied it up at Navajo Lake Memorial Day and July 4th weekends. So take it for what it's worth and if Game and Fish doesn't contact you, go hunt.

If people can't hunt because of this, Game and Fish is on the hook to refund everyone who wants it. The dempanic may be a "force majeure", but a quarentine is a misguided and foolish initiative. Not refunding because of clueless leadership is outright fraud...

26-Jul-20
Pretty sure hunters in the woods is not where the state will be spending resources trying to enforce such an order. Go hunt, stay out of society and doubt anyone is going to mess with you. Why would they is the question? You passing COVID to the elk population?

Go party at the bar after shooting a bull and that might be a different conversation.

26-Jul-20
Make sure it takes you 14 days to kill your bull then go party at the bar. :)

26-Jul-20
The real purpose of the "quarentine" is to minimize mass travel to keep contact at bay as much as possible. Still clueless, paranoid, and idiotic.

Shutting down commerce between states is something a state itself cannot do. It also brings into question several civil rights issues. Assuming someone has the virus and spreading it unchecked is the same kind of assumption that because you have a .357 revolver means you're going to commit armed robbery.

Harvest reporting won't be asking if you quarentined prior to the start of your hunt. That would be a direct violation of the 5th Amendment.

26-Jul-20
Quinn and I think alike. I spent the last week in East Texas where dictator Abbot has issued a face covering decree. I didn’t go anywhere public but according to my wife only about 1/2 the Texans at the Buckeyes were unmasked. I like Abbot but he let politics get the best of him on this one.

26-Jul-20
How the hell would they know when you arrived???

Do you have to check in upon arrival?

Screw the shelter kittens and go hunt.

26-Jul-20

txhunter58's embedded Photo
txhunter58's embedded Photo
I agree with the mask policy in public. I wear a mask to protect YOU, not me. If you can’t do a simple thing like wear a mask to protect others, then I don’t really want to be around you. And I wear a mask all day at work in case I bring the virus with me. It’s not that hard.

We had a worker at my office test positive for Covid, but because everyone was wearing a mask, no one else came down with it.

Maybe it’s not bad where you are, I hope not, but the small town I live in is getting maxed out in our hospital. And all the hospitals anywhere close are stretched to the limit as well. That is something real and provable. Not someone’s imagination

I realize this is getting off subject a little bit the comments about not wresting masks just goes against common sense. Will I come hunting this fall and quarantine in the woods? Absolutely. No masks needed there. .

26-Jul-20
I’ve bought a landowner tag and have a guided hunt paid in full. We will see what happens. I would think it’s very unenforceable

26-Jul-20
I wear a camo face covering when I'm hunting elk. Does that make me more righteous in case I encounter another hunter in the woods?

26-Jul-20
Yes it does Lou. If an elk is at 2 yards (6ft) we all should be able to judge that distance pretty good by now.

26-Jul-20
Thanks. I would be sick at the thought of possibly infecting an elk with such a deadly virus.

26-Jul-20
Is the quarantine applicable if I am protesting in the woods? I can wear my BLM (Bowhunter Lives Matter) button.

27-Jul-20
txhunter since you stated you are coming from a highly infected area I would expect you to stay in TX and not come to CO to hunt. After all you're wearing your mask to protect others right? Will you quarantine in CO and not stop anywhere? Please don't bring it here.

27-Jul-20
Montana had a 14 day quarantine in effect when we went bear hunting this spring. It was nice, we only saw one out of state hunter the whole time and 3/4 of us killed bears. We had one cop ask us about the quarantine, and we just said to prove we hadn’t done it. He didn’t seem too worried and went on about his business pretty quick.

27-Jul-20
I stopped buying the BS coming from the government about COVID a couple of months ago. And BS is exactly what it is.

We are (or WERE) a free country. If you believe the ever changing garbage they promote, then stay home.

27-Jul-20
Agreed WW. We are supposed to be free. Liberal governor's and mayor's have imposed a degree of martial law. This is all because of 1 thing. And it has nothing to do with the safety of the American people. That's evident by backing riots and calling it peaceful protests. The sole reason they are doing this, is their hatred for Donald Trump. That's it. They vowed to get him before he was elected, and are still trying to oust him.

27-Jul-20
I am not a person who tends to buy into the claims of conspiracy. The virus is real, it is infectious, it is more deadly than the flu - then again so are TONS of other things.

The government is playing politics with this, not using logic. I am NOT a fan of shutdown, you have to look at this as a system of systems. If you shut down social gatherings for health, you cost revenue, peoples income etc, heck even the airline industry has a hidden issue with pilots not flying enough to not maintain certification. Even sports, yup, they are coming back, but no fans? So what about the little people who sell food, park cars etc. ?

Also this country is large and diverse. I live in WY, in a county the size of Rhode Island, with about 8000 people in it. We currently have 0 active cases. So why do we have to shutdown? Then again, a simple drive to town shows more out of state license plates that WY plates, with LOTS from Texas, Idaho, Minnesota, Wisconsin, plus others.

Went for a hike Saturday, normally a GREAT way to social distance. a nice mountain hike to a lake, do some fly fishing. Problem was the trail head is one of the easiest to get to, and it was PACKED, overflowing about 1/4 down the gravel road, the lake just under 2 miles in, had probably 75 people around it. Was eye opening.

We don't wear masks in general around here, but next week we are flying back to New England for my Dad's 80th bday and a second visit with out now 4 month old first grandchild. We are flying into MA which now has a quarentine for incomers from "not safe" states? So what are "safe"? All of New England, INCLUDING NY. The only not NE state: Hawaii. Makes no sense. Lucky for us we are actually staying in NH so we fall under the "travelling through" exception to the quarentine. We will land, grab the rental car and leave MA, not to return until our return flight several days later.

Yes we are free people, but doesn't mean we have to be stupid. It's NOT a conspiracy, do your own research, make your own decisions, keep in mind you may be wrong, so err on the side of safety. If you are traveling somewhere, that's your CHOICE, so in doing so you should also be choosing to follow whatever rules are there. We will be wearing masks on the plane, in the airport etc. Why? that's the rules there.

Use common sense: if you feel sick STAY HOME. Masks are somewhat effective, but not as effective as simply washing your hands.

27-Jul-20
I'm going to gamble, do what I have done in the past, and my Buddy and I are going to kill a couple of bulls. We'll see how it goes.

27-Jul-20
This virus is as dangerous as some of the other coronaviruses that cause the "common cold".

Just depends on which one you get as to how bad your cold is. In time, this one will be added to the list of common colds. "Never let a good crisis go to waste"...

27-Jul-20
If Biden wins in November I bet this will all go away and they will blame it all on Trump.....Let’s go huntin !

27-Jul-20
I know people who are in and out of the state every week. It's a stupid order , NOT A LAW, people from out of state can make their own call , if it was me I'd go hunt.

27-Jul-20

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
splitlimb13's embedded Photo

27-Jul-20
A friend who is a retired hospital administrator for a large chain told me the business model of hospitals is to be almost "maxed-out".

Meanwhile, here in our liberal college town of 150,000, I went to the ER for a different issue a couple weeks ago and the place was...empty. Totally. I had the immediate attention of the whole staff because they were all bored and had nothing to do.

Cases may be increasing in some craphole cities, but for the rest of flyover country COVID seems to be an afterthought. Masks are pretty much nonexistent in Wyoming, as is COVID.

27-Jul-20
Told a customer today from southern CO that his beef was ready to pick up. He was on his way to Albuquerque. Don’t think he will quarantine himself. Lol I’ve been back and forth to CO numerous times since this whole fiasco started. Never quarantined once. Have been to multiple friend and family gatherings with no one ever getting Covid.

30-Jul-20

SteveB's Link

30-Jul-20
the mask has nothing to do with covid. its being pushed by liberals. its meant to keep you silenced. a cut up tee shirt is not going to stop germs from getting into your system and may in fact trap that crap so you are taking deep breaths of the covid everytime you inhale and exhale. why would the covid impact those in a restaurant and not those rioting in thr streets of Portland? or Denver? no there's no conspiracy. defund the police. that's not a conspiracy. blame Trump. that's no conspiracy. impeach the president on false claims starting with obama and his henchman. keep federal agents out of the Chicago's and Albuquerque's of the country where violent crime runs rampant and murder goes unpunished because its all Trump's fault. there's no conspiracy. Trump created the china flu. there's no conspiracy. antifa and blm are anti law and liberal politicians are backing that. but there's no conspiracy. shut down oil and gas for the green new deal. no conspiracy here. back chinas play and criticize America. no conspiracy there. fundamentally change America for socialist policies. thats not a conspiracy. teachers who teach your children a false history and how to be good liberals. no conspiracy. go to Walmart, but dont go to church. no conspiracy there either. no there are no conspiracies running rampant in our country, only those who seek to destroy her. so all those who back the play of the democrat liberal socialist machine, gtfo of my country and live in china and then tell me how you like it......

30-Jul-20
Trophy hill, I agree with you but I think this was about how the quarantine order in NM would affect non res hunters.

30-Jul-20
it wont because there's too much money involved

30-Jul-20
Asking hotel owners to police guests.....really?

Brownshirtish.

31-Jul-20
"That is so not enforceable. I'm sposed to where a mask everywhere I go too. I suppose the gustapo will gladly enforce the rule over stopping dangerous criminals, rioters and looters. This governor can go screw herself. Better yet, she can let Biden do her" David ,you said what I was thinking. I'm in Red River and having a blast with all the red blooded Americans from Texas and Oklahoma!

31-Jul-20
Don't know where they are laying off heath care workers must be slow states in kansas they are bring in traveling nurses.Do what you think is right and live with what you cause.Is it really such a big deal to wear a mask?

31-Jul-20
Is it really such a big deal to sew a star onto your clothes?

31-Jul-20
"Don't know where they are laying off heath care workers must be slow states in kansas they are bring in traveling nurses".

Hospitals are bringing in travellers...because it's cheaper than filling the Hospital with benefitted employees (or, reinstating those they have laid off)...they've been doing it for years!

• Sitka Gear