elkmtngear 27-Jul-20
Empty Freezer 27-Jul-20
26-Jul-20

jordanathome's embedded Photo
Tried sleeping in the back of my 6'4" bed with topper. Not bad. Not great. Will work on it.....may try with a cot ( I have one that just fits) next time. Beats setting up a tent and with a remote I can lock myself in and open from the inside.
Tried sleeping in the back of my 6'4" bed with topper. Not bad. Not great. Will work on it.....may try with a cot ( I have one that just fits) next time. Beats setting up a tent and with a remote I can lock myself in and open from the inside.
I ran up Coffee Pot into Unit 34 to hang a few cams and check out conditions. Heard it was dry. It is as lush as I've ever seen it this time of year since I started coming up here in 2006.

Misty Fri evening and drizzly that night into a misty Sat. morning that turned into a steady rain by 10 am that had the roads running full of water. Monsoon season had arrived it seems. The hands that signed on with Forest Bows should see some fat healthy elk during your hunts!

Even then the bugs were not horrible as they have been in years past in the summer. No fresh elk sign but they will be here come Sept.

26-Jul-20

26-Jul-20

All that was left of my buddies bull he killed back here last year.
All that was left of my buddies bull he killed back here last year.

26-Jul-20

26-Jul-20

26-Jul-20

26-Jul-20

26-Jul-20
I’m up in the NW corner scouting, and it’s as dry as a popcorn fart. It drizzled lightly for about 2 hours yesterday afternoon. 30 minutes after it stopped, the roads were dusty again.

On the bright side, the elk look healthy, and I’ve seen some impressive bulls on public land.

Matt

26-Jul-20

26-Jul-20
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. About ready for some high-country time myself.

26-Jul-20
I can't kill elk for chit but I love taking and sharing pics of scouting and hunting trips. Hell I might as well just sell the bow and upgrade my 90D setup....go all BB on ya'll. I wish I had that kind of time and freedom to spend taking pics of critters in the wild....... LOL

We shall see if the elks have moved into this area yet come Mid August.......and what I've gotten on my cams. Didn't take many but found some more spots I'd like to hang a few more to monitor.

26-Jul-20
mt sopris in the one pict?

26-Jul-20
Nice pics Jordan.

I finished up my last deck build project Thursday - a few "honey do" items to take care of -- then windshield time.

I am soooooo ready to get out west (drew CO with 3 points)!!!!!!!!!!! Meeting with my hunting partner tomorrow to go over "THE LIST"(again), shoot bows, talk smart and eat some venison chili.

26-Jul-20
Great pics of the wildflowers. Nature in full display. Thanks for sharing.

26-Jul-20
We were in 34 on Thursday. Range conditions looked great but Coffee pot road had more traffic than I70. Every camp site was full.

Spent a little time in 53, green there as well. Saw a few elk on the fringes of the scrub oak. The area over near Fairplay is lush and way less beetle kill. Didn't have time to scout it any.

Drove through unit 79, fewer people but really dry. Everything south of Gunnison was brown due to drought conditions. Rains were starting to come but its basically weeks to Archery season.

Good luck Jordan, stay confident.

26-Jul-20

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Nice pics Jordan - love all the wildflowers! It’s still really green and lush in 7/8/9 too, but the skeeters are fierce! Gonna check cams this week, hopefully 1st elk pics of 2020!

26-Jul-20
Coffee Pot is always busy. At least you couldn't see on-coming traffic from their dust plume a mile away.....which lead to me about getting wiped out twice on curves going down due to dumbarses with livestocks trailers hauling ass uphill in the middle of the road through curves. Forksticks. I was in the ditch praying twice brakes locked at the mercy of the dumbfork driving the truck at me. Road was in great condition however.

26-Jul-20
I nearly stepped on this guy in his bed this afternoon. Not sure who was more startled. I happened to have my phone in my hand (checking OnX) and I was quick with the camera. Still can’t believe he stood there long enough to take a few pics.

Matt

26-Jul-20
The amount of people in the woods This year is mind boggling. I’m curious to see how bad it is during hunting season.

27-Jul-20
Nice pictures but I sure am thankful I hunt in Oregon with very few people around. Sounds like Colorado is quite the zoo

27-Jul-20
Looking Good for sure

This is your Year Jordan!

Good luck, Robb

27-Jul-20

Treeline's embedded Photo
Colorado is crowded even in the most remote areas any more.

I cannot believe how many people I have been seeing in the middle of nowhere in the NW corner this summer.

Most of them looking at the feral horses. Seems like the horse numbers have doubled since 2017. PLENTY of those! Should be unlimited tags...

27-Jul-20
Great pics. I'll be up there with Forest in 6 weeks. Getting close. Jordan, what elevation were you at there?? Just wonderin about adjusting to the high altitude. Thanks

27-Jul-20
Matt's post sux without the referenced pic. LOL

Dave, we hunt between 10,900' and 9,800' but mostly between 10,700' and 10,200'

Give yourself a SOLID day pounding water and taking it easy at these altitudes. Many year we pushed to get tents up and would nearly pass out bending over to drive a tent stake......coming from 700' Even now living on the front range since 2015 I find I need a good couple hours, if not 1/2 day, to get somewhat acclimated. I was off hiking up 250' in elevation over a mile Friday evening after being in camp only about an hour or so. I was huffing and puffing but powered through. IF you start to get the edges of a headache DO NOT ignore it. Stop, drop, rest and hydrate till you are peeing clear. Serious as a heart attack. I count beer as it is only 5% alcohol by volume. LOL

27-Jul-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Sorry guys, the pics wouldn’t post. Let me try again.

Matt

27-Jul-20

And these were from this morning.

Matt

27-Jul-20
Couple of dandy bulls there, Matt...looks like a great place to hunt elk!

Nice pics, everyone! I can only live vicariously through you guys, till September ;^)

27-Jul-20
oh ya, those pics are awesome. Thanks for the advice jordan. I'm at the beach so i have alot of hydratin to do..

• Sitka Gear