jordanathome 29-Jul-20
Lark Bunting 31-Jul-20
orionsbrother 01-Aug-20
Tdwhip 01-Aug-20
Darrell 01-Aug-20
BULELK1 02-Aug-20
BULELK1 02-Aug-20
26-Jul-20
Well it is that time of year for me to prep for my annual elk hunt (no need to worry, no elk are harmed if past performance is any measure of the future).

I find over time the realization that, for me, the preparation for the hunt is as much fun as the hunt itself. Maybe more because I can control how long it lasts. Scouting, map work, gear checks and updates, food prep, you name it....I love it.

So tonight after my first scouting trip I thawed out some elk (from my buddy's kill last fall because I can't kill an elk to save my life, or the life of a loved one.....sad). I have a roast going with portabellas, celery, onion, potato, carrots, peas, and corn. I have more thawing to grind up and make some elk chili and elk spaghetti. Both will have some pork fat, onion and bell pepper for zing!

These will all be vacuum sealed and frozen in nice on person packs I can reheat in the package in boiling water then eat and throw the package in the trash. No muss, no fuss, no forking around or cleaning dishes. Hunt, eat, sleep.

I love that I can make my meals the way I want and the satisfaction in camp during season is worth the cost of admission. I just need to keep finding generous buddies to donate the elk meat.....for obvious reasons.

Anyway.......best wishes and enjoy your prep. What are your favorite elk recipes for truck camping?

fwiw.....I love this bar........

27-Jul-20
Stroganoff and shrimp fettuccini alfredo are two of my favorite premade, heat-in-boiling-water meals.

27-Jul-20
Good luck this year Jordan!

Wish I had something better to contribute to the thread, but I'm a lazy cooker. I'll probably just eat hotdogs and hamburgers from truck camp this year until I'm sick of them. Meal prep really ain't my style :)

27-Jul-20
Right now I’m canning 7 pints of WT vegetable soup. With fresh onions and potatoes from the garden.

27-Jul-20
Good luck to you this year, Jordan. I'm doing the backpack trip again this year so it'll be freeze dried garbage for a week.

Year's past, our favorite boiler meals were taco meat(ground or shredded), bacon wrapped chicken thighs, spaghetti/pasta with meat sauce, roasts/potatoes/veggies, and breakfast scrambles with eggs, potatoes, sausage, etc. all mixed together.

We'd just make extra servings with regular dinners at home and package up the leftovers in freezer bags. Super fast and very little to clean up.

Sometimes though, a sandwich on a hoagie bun hits the spot.

27-Jul-20
Hi Tom! Yes I also try to freeze up some extra good leftovers as well. But I like to make some specific elk camp meals just because it is another way to prep and relive past hunts, plus who doesn't want to eat elk dishes in elk camp???

27-Jul-20
Bake, I used to hunt elk with a guy who would show up for the weekend with a package of hot dogs, loaf of bread, bag of Snickers, and a case of Coors...

27-Jul-20
"Bake, I used to hunt elk with a guy who would show up for the weekend with a package of hot dogs, loaf of bread, bag of Snickers, and a case of Coors..."

Sounds like he covered all the essential food groups.

27-Jul-20
I forgot he also brought Copenhagen and weed. Guy was a stone-cold killer, went on to become a professional big game hunter as a career.

27-Jul-20
Stoned cold killer? Lol

Jordan quit talking like that! Confidence is an important ingredient to success. I find that marching up a mountain say to myself today is the day eventually results in dead elk. Give it a try man you can do this!

27-Jul-20
Dehydrated rocky roads ice cream is a real sweet treat. Try it!

27-Jul-20
Based on a previous similar topic thread, I added Lou's shrimp fettuccine alfredo to the menu last year. Safe to say...it's now a hunt camp staple! Wife's spaghetti bake comes in a close second....just don't tell her I said that! Pork chops and dressing round out my ready made meals. Everything else goes on the grill...or should I say griddle this year. Newest addition to hunt camp is a Blackstone griddle. I can small the steaks, tenderloins, burgers and brats now!

27-Jul-20
Lou....that dude had his priorities in order. LOL

Joe, I have found my niche on BS.....I'ma gonna lean into it. LOL!

29-Jul-20

jordanathome's embedded Photo
I smoked some elk grind meat, ground it up with a bit of pork fat and belly, then turned some of it into elk pasta with onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, portabella mushrooms, threw in some spring salad mix for greens, red bell pepper, some spaghetti sauce. MMMMMmmmm.....gonna be good in camp.....was awesome for lunch. Next....elk chili and I should be set for dinner/lunch meals.

31-Jul-20
I guess I missed the point. I'd do elk tacos, bacon wrapped elk thighs, elk spaghetti sauce/pasta, elk hash with eggs and potatoes.

;)

01-Aug-20
You’re going to score this year Jordan.

01-Aug-20
I'm very lucky my wife is Italian and a great cook, we will have Minestrone soup,Chicken brest with pesto sauce, Italian beer just to name a few. Costco has a bunch of heat and eat meals already in boiling bags available. Pulled pork, Pot roast and gravy, mashed potatoes Mac and cheese. Just to name a few.

01-Aug-20
If you are truck camping, one of the best things to take is a spiral sliced ham. Its great cold when you are too tired to cook and is great fried in a skillet with some cheese.

02-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Jordan, I like to cook a good BBQ meal on arrival day, while setting up camp and just getting my mind MOJO going.

Leftovers for a couple days and it's good eating too.

It's your Year to Harvest man!

Good luck, Robb

02-Aug-20

BULELK1's embedded Photo
Last Elk Roast from the season before---mmmhmmmm!
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Last Elk Roast from the season before---mmmhmmmm!

• Sitka Gear