Jack Whitmrie jr 29-Jul-20
Treeline 29-Jul-20
Tilzbow 29-Jul-20
Treeline 29-Jul-20
bowonly 30-Jul-20
bowonly 30-Jul-20
bowonly 30-Jul-20
27-Jul-20
Any pronghorn expert have nifty ideas for keeping cool in a pop-up blind?

I bought a portable rechargeable evaporative cooler to try. It does blow cooler air, but not substantial enough to drastically change the overall temperature inside the blind during my back yard test.

Lots of ice, lots of water, cooling neck towels, any creative ideas?

Thx!

27-Jul-20
From my pizza making days... keep a small cooler with ice water and two dish rags... place one on the back of your neck replace as needed

27-Jul-20
Shug! That’s a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

27-Jul-20
Too bad there isn't something you could put over the roof of the blind to deflect the sun's rays. Maybe some leafy branches, a bunch of grass, tumbleweeds???

27-Jul-20
If it is a blind you can drive to a lot of time the night before I drop a cooler with lots frozen jugs and drinks. I get my hat wet and sometimes shirt. Last couple of years I have been carry this little thing-a-majig by wife got to take to soccer games. It is a little bottle probably 24 oz. it has a little pump on it that builds pressure and you pull trigger and it sprays you with fine mist it is awesome for hot days in a blind. I'll search the world wide web see if I can find a link to something similar.

27-Jul-20

JohnMC's Link
Something similar to this. Greatest thing since sliced bread for blind hunting in the hot.

27-Jul-20
Thx, the cooler I bought is similar to the mister. And I was already thinking cool towels on the neck. Keep the ideas coming!

27-Jul-20
air conditioner

27-Jul-20
Some blinds have a section of roof that can be opened. That will at least help in letting hot air out. It should provide some sort of air flow.

27-Jul-20
I like a little battery powered fan.

27-Jul-20
Window AC with generator? ;)

27-Jul-20
And a LONG extension cord. Bingo LOL

27-Jul-20
Opening that roof is a great help if you can. The Double Bulls have a hole in the top that you can just unzip but keep the velcro attatched. That little bit of vent helps. Otherwise, the cool towels will help. I have sat in just my drawers before, just be sure to dress for hero pics :-)

27-Jul-20
I just embrace the suck...but I’m pretty dumb.

—Jim

27-Jul-20
I used to run an archery antelope outfitting business. A few were killed by guys who were down to their underwear. Vent, hydrate, embrace. Stick it out, kill one, then relax in the AC while the guys that didn't stick it out are still putting their time in the box. Keep in mind the hotter it gets, the thirstier everything gets and the faster the tiny random water spots evaporate. Mostly mental.

27-Jul-20

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo
Leave the blind at home! Only kidding of course, but you can’t beat that rush when they commit to a decoy. I shot this buck at 20 yards aug 31 last year. Should of had my longbow.

28-Jul-20
Why not build a mesh blind ?

28-Jul-20
A battery operated fan blowing over and around some blocks of ice. It will cool it quite a bit. Shawn

28-Jul-20

Brotsky's Link
It’s amazing how good these work right out of an icy cooler. I would not have survived Florida in August without these!

28-Jul-20

Rut Nut's Link
Redneck air-cooler! This is the best one I've seen yet! I'd just get a battery operated or rechargeable fan instead of the electric one he suggests.

28-Jul-20

yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
My wife bought one of these for our upcoming August Wyoming antelope hunt......

28-Jul-20

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Scoot, I haven’t tried it yet, but I checked on amazon and I think any number of battery powered fans would work- think the 5” fans would be about right with that ductwork

28-Jul-20

28-Jul-20
Embrace it. Part of the hunt

28-Jul-20
A spray bottle with a attached fan. Available at most drug stores and Walmart.

28-Jul-20
Aren't you conservative so that means your heart is a block of ice??? Maybe try sitting on somebodies boot insoles ahhahahahaha

28-Jul-20

Will's Link
https://www.ezcooldown.com/collections/sports-cooling-vests

Cooling vest. Could be work under or over clothes... and you could bring stuff to reload the vest after it starts to warm.

Also, get a yeti style 20-32 oz cup and fill it with a slurry of ice and water, if possible blended though crushed ice can be ok. Once in the blind, drink that as fast as you can while managing the icecream headache that will come, and will feel insanely worse than any you have had in your life... this "slurry" will help keep core temp down for 45-60' during intense exercise, so Id bet it works for at least 60-75 in the blind. couple that and some of the ideas others have noted or a cooling vest and it seems a very strong system.

28-Jul-20
Lot of advice from the east coast. Bet they do a lot pronghorn hunt out there. :)

28-Jul-20
Simple method without having to tote more gear: remove clothes.

28-Jul-20
Watch wear you put your clothes. Trust me on this.....

28-Jul-20
I worked on a marine unit for alot of years. Wish we.had the cool hats you can now buy on line. Fill with water, keep your head cool all day.... Add the cool towells that brotsky talked about. Been there done that, too hot for me, rather would decpy in Sept, hot then too

28-Jul-20
High Life no worries I hunted with Carl he just wears a loin cloth

28-Jul-20
Don't go too far tryin to keep cool. Might be cold and rainy!

29-Jul-20
A blind with a top zip lets heat out pretty good and is a good place to sneak a peak. A spray bottle is a must and i strip down to dome synthetic boxers.

29-Jul-20

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
A solid choice—

29-Jul-20

Duke's embedded Photo
Duke's embedded Photo
Boys have used these a lot for baseball and football and I’ve used them spectating... They will carry a scent after a while though.

29-Jul-20

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Carl yu sure you need to cool down your already the coolest guy I know...

29-Jul-20
Watching this closely , we hunt first full week in WY

29-Jul-20
Dang, never thought about all this kinda stuff for antelope blind sitting. Have always just toughed (sweated) it out.

Getting close to season for me and may order up a few things to make the sit more bearable...

Thanks for the ideas!

29-Jul-20
I remember sitting nearly naked in a Double Bull blind, drinking two gallons of water and sweating so much I had to hold the book I was reading away from my face and body so the pages didn’t get soaked with sweat. I never took a leak the entire day. All this after missing a 20 yard give me shot at a near 80” buck at dawn. I killed him the next morning....

20 years before that, we built a blind that was dug 3’ deep in the mud/dirt, we made a dome out of wood, chicken wire and burlap then covered it all in 4” of mud from the water hole. The water hole was at the bottom of a small valley at about 7,000 feet and was surrounded by desert hills (mountains to the eastern boys) so all the cold air settled to the bottom of the valley and specifically to the bottom of the blind. I froze my butt off in that thing and could see my breath at 2:00 PM, when I killed, even though it was 80+ degrees out.

So, my short answer is to build a mud dome in a hole and wear a sweatshirt!

29-Jul-20
Have made some of those pit blinds. Talk about work! Never did go as far as coating one with mud though!

Seems like all the dirt around those ponds is mixed with concrete...

Hell, just setting up fake blinds is a ton of work!

30-Jul-20

30-Jul-20

30-Jul-20
Yeah, Tilzbow, I spent some great August days in some of those pit blinds back in the 80s, although none were mud domed! Yeah, Treeline , they could be a lot of work to dig and then refill. But with tall sage around the perimeter for shade and whatever wind came up, you could stay reasonably cool. You had to keep movement down to a minimum, but it felt like you were a little more involved in the hunt. The snakes kinda liked them, too!

• Sitka Gear