mrhunterken 02-Aug-20
Darrell 02-Aug-20
Paul@thefort 02-Aug-20
Lee 02-Aug-20
Zbone 03-Aug-20
Z Barebow 03-Aug-20
Treeline 03-Aug-20
29-Jul-20
Anyone still have some of the old 145 grain screw in snuffers in your collections? I'm down to about ten and figure some of you have them collecting dust and would rather sell them to me.

I actually have about six more that are bent that back in the day I debated about sending into Magnus for replacement. However, each of them were bent due to hitting concrete, steel or something completely my fault so I couldn't ever get myself to take Mike up on his free replacement policy. I also have the new style but its hard to give up that huge hole. :)

29-Jul-20
Are you talking about the old Rotharr snuffers back in the 70 & 80's?

29-Jul-20
I wonder if mike has some? Might ask!

29-Jul-20
Magnus 145 grain screw ins are what I have shot since sliding a Thunderhead outside the ribs on a quartering away shot on a monster bull in 1997. BB convinced me I might have killed the bull if I was shooting a Thunderhead instead. Never know if he was right but I have only hit one animal since switching that I didn't find and that was a huge whitetail that I hit a limb and ended up shooting through his backstrap.

29-Jul-20
I have a few but plan to use them...

Really like the bigger ones... Even bigger hole;-)

Look up VPA’s 1 1/4” 150 grain 3-blade broadhead. Good alternative.

29-Jul-20

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Is this what you are looking for? They weigh 120-126 gr. You can increase the weight with a heavier insert if desired. I might have some heavier insert too.

29-Jul-20
Buffalo, might be interested in those. However the 145s seem to fly better for me or at least they did the last time I tried the 125s which was 15+ years ago

29-Jul-20
Great heads, I have some 125's and (6) 175's but I'm keeping them all. I've killed whitetail, muley's and elk and pigs with the old Snuffers. They leave a Slug Hole!!!

29-Jul-20
Get some woodsman or vpa's they'll do the job.

29-Jul-20
think I have 3-4. will look and weigh.

30-Jul-20
I have some 145s some where. I just looked in the house. They must be in the barn. PM me and I’ll send them to you.

30-Jul-20
I just weighed mine. They are 147-150 grains. The package says Delta Rothhaar snuffer. $18.99 For 6 of them. Screw on came in 125,150,170,185

Traditional glue on head came in 100,125,145,160

30-Jul-20
When I saw the title I knew it was you! I hope you find them.

30-Jul-20
I've had a couple magnus 125 snuffers for years that I use to broadhead tune with. If you can get them to fly right out of a semi quick bow you can shoot pretty much anything..... =D

I know magnus sold off the old snuffer line to someone else, but I forget their name? Are they still around?

30-Jul-20
I have killed alot of critters with Snuffer's , especially back in the 80s. There vicious. I don't shoot them much anymore ,but if I see new pack of them for sale I buy em.

30-Jul-20
I have killed alot of critters with Snuffer's , especially back in the 80s. There vicious. I don't shoot them much anymore ,but if I see new pack of them for sale I buy em.

02-Aug-20
I have 12, I like them a lot but have never hunted with them because I couldn't get them sharp enough to hunt with. If anyone on this forum has any special tricks for sharpening these, I'd sure like to pick your brains.

02-Aug-20
Mrhunterken,

Flat diamond stones. I have a medium and a fine 11" stones. Lay them flat and start at 30 strokes each side on the medium. I go down by 2, 28, 26 etc. to 2 then about 5 complete rounds of 1. Then If they are starting to pop hair, I move to the fine stone and go from 10, 9, 8 down to 1 then do about 5 complete sets of 1 stroke trying to have a light touch. I then do about 3 strokes per side on a strip of leather and they are shaving sharp. Once sharp, they are easy to touch up and they are wicked. Been sharpening them this way for about 20 years.

02-Aug-20

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
you might try these if no luck with what you are looking for: 175 gr VPA, vent-less. I will be using these for elk this season, shot from the stick. Sharpen and resharpen razor sharp.

02-Aug-20
I shot Snuffers for years. I’m now shooting the same head Paul just posted a pic of. The 175 ventless VPA hits hard and are easy to sharpen. Very good alternative to the old Snuffer and fly like darts.

Mrhunterken, I sharpened my snuffers with a 14 mil bastard file. I use the same for the VPAs. Hair will shave off your arm after a few strokes unless really dull, then it will take a few more to get it shaving sharp.

Lee

03-Aug-20
I still shoot original Snuffers but am getting low but still have about a dozen left, they are getting harder to find... Also have a few VPAs and Woodsmans but prefer the original Snuffers on deer size game, which were actually 160+ grain without inserts... Have a couple I haven't mounted yet that tilp the scales over 175 and 185 grains without inserts... Do a search there, a lot of threads on these heads and early models on this site, and LeatherWall...

03-Aug-20
Darrell. I have some. They are w/o screw in, 125 g w/o screw. But I also have the flight mate adapters if you want to mount them in aluminum. You could likely buy the screw in separately. PM me.

03-Aug-20
A 14" mill bastard file will make short work of sharpening Snuffers or VPA's. Put two blades flat and pull it back to front to prevent wounding yourself. Yep, I learned the hard way! Have scars...

Continue on the file until the factory machining marks are all gone then flip to do the same for the other two sides. There should be a little burr on the blades when you get to that point.

I will then go to a hard Arkansas oil stone and put it flat and push it point to tail, away from me until the burr is off. Usually doesn't take many strokes. Once that burr is off, it will be sharp enough to shave.

I'll clean off the oil from the edges with a paper towel and then strop each side a few times on a leather strop with polishing compound.

Re-sharpening will vary depending on what it needs. If it is just dulled from going in and out of a quiver, I will just use the hard Arkansas and strop. Sometimes I will use a diamond sharpener - takes steel fast but doesn't get as sharp. If the edges are dinged up a little from hitting something hard, I will go back to the 14" file and start over.

The 125 gr screw-in's (100 gr glue-on) were way to flimsy. The 150 gr screw-in (125 gr glue-on) hold up better. The 145 gr glue-on and heavier are much stronger and will hold up a lot better than the smaller ones.

I've been setting up the 160 glue-on heads with 40 grain inserts to set them up at 200 grains. Even have a bunch of the old original Rothar's that are 185-190 gr glue on. Very stout and cut an even bigger hole.

If you aren't set up to deal with different broadhead adaptors to build up your own broadheads and then make sure they are mounted straight, the machined VPA's are excellent and come in a lot of weights and cutting diameters. If I didn't have so many Snuffers, I would just buy VPA's, sharpen, screw them in and go hunting.

• Sitka Gear