Grey Ghost 01-Aug-20
Buck Watcher 01-Aug-20
spike buck 01-Aug-20
spike buck 01-Aug-20
wytex 01-Aug-20
LINK 01-Aug-20
Stoneman 01-Aug-20
31-Jul-20
Last year I used the small game heads with the 4 small wire prongs and the flat nose. The result was an arrow that sailed into oblivion after going through a grouse in a tree. I have some of these bludgeons leftover from who knows when. Anybody have experience with these? Anything out there that will actually stop an arrow in a grouse with a compound? I’m thinking the answer is no.

31-Jul-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo

31-Jul-20
I’ve used the rubber blunts for over 30 years. They’ve worked great for me.

31-Jul-20
I only shoot at grouse when the hill behind them is running up hill.

31-Jul-20
I should probably add a couple qualifiers. 1.). I don’t shoot crazy chickens in trees. 2). I don’t expect the arrow to stay in the crazy chicken since I aim for the head. 3).. I use old arrows. I find the great majority, but if I lose/break a few...oh well!

31-Jul-20

LINK's embedded Photo
Nothing like steak and grouse for lunch on an elk hunt.
LINK's embedded Photo
Nothing like steak and grouse for lunch on an elk hunt.
I use the little 4 prong piece of metal that slides on behind a practice point. They don’t stay in a grouse though. Last season I wax 2 of 3. The one I missed the arrow went forever.

31-Jul-20
Big red rubber blunts. But from the Heavy vs. Trajectory thread we've learned that it's impossible to craft a setup that won't pass through a grouse, so be happy with two holes and hope you find the bird! ;-)

01-Aug-20
Big red rubber blunts. But from the Heavy vs. Trajectory thread we've learned that it's impossible to craft a setup that won't pass through a grouse, so be happy with two holes and hope you find the bird! ;-)

01-Aug-20
I've tried every small game head known to man on grouse, and none of them will stop the arrow from blowing thru the bird with my normal hunting setup. I finally resolved to the fact that if I shoot them out of a tree, I'll lose an arrow. I try to kill them on the ground.

Matt

01-Aug-20
It’s easy to say that in August, but when 1 of those fat bastards is sitting on a tree branch 10 feet up, it’s hard not to shoot them. I usually take a couple of my more wobbly arrows. That makes me feel better about losing them.

01-Aug-20
John,

You can sometimes position yourself so that the arrow hits the tree trunk, or a limb, when it blows thru the bird. That has worked to salvage an arrow or two for me in the past.

I'm like you, I have a hard time passing up any shot at Mountain Chickens. If they are in a tree, I just accept the fact that it will be the most expensive meat per pound I will eat.

Matt

01-Aug-20
Judo points have worked for me for 40 years. I use arrows with Flu-Flu feathers for a bird in a tree.

01-Aug-20

01-Aug-20

spike buck's embedded Photo
spike buck's embedded Photo

01-Aug-20
Judos and bright fletchings. Shot many a grouse in a tree and on the ground. Follow your shot and you'll find the bright fletchings in the grass. Arrows get knocked out of the tree with a stick, takes a few tosses sometimes. Broadheads are for when we run out of judos. I've had many judo shots stay in the bird, only had one fly away with my arrow.

01-Aug-20
Nobody’s mentioned it yet but if you’re looking to not get a passthrough, you could use a 2” expandable. ;)

01-Aug-20
Sling shot or learn how to throw rocks. Save your arrows for ground birds.

• Sitka Gear